Youth Inclusion and Engagement Director
|Reports to:||Chief of Party
|Direct reports:||Youth Advocacy and Engagement Advisor; SBC Advisor; Civic Engagement Advisor; and Gender and Inclusion Advisor|
|Duty Station||Addis Ababa, Country Office|
|Duration of Employment||One year with Possible extension|
|Amref Health Africa is seeking a Youth Inclusion and Engagement Director to provide technical leadership and support for the USAID Integrated Youth Activity (IYA) that aims to empower youth to advance their own economic, civic and social development across 18 secondary urban cities of Ethiopia. The advisor is responsible in collaboratively leading youth civic engagement strategies modalities and platforms, including setting up youth interest groups at local levels that coalesce into nationally elected and representative youth coalitions at national level that will become a sustainable platform for youth to advocate for their right in Ethiopia. In partnership with youth and other key stakeholders s/he will facilitate the strategy development and implementation of crosscutting youth mobilization, advocacy, community engagement and social behavioral change (SBC) activities raising and integrating youth voices in the overall development efforts of the country, all ensuring inclusion of young women and other marginalized youth. This position requires strong project management and coordination skills, technical knowledge in youth civic engagement and development activities, deep youth networks, and extensive experience cultivating and establishing partnerships. The Youth Inclusion and Engagement Director will support and coordinate with the Deputy Chief of Party and other IYA Directors to ensure an integrated package of services for youth, addressing their civic engagement, and economic and social development needs.|
|Key Responsibilities / Duties / Tasks|
The Director will have the following duties and responsibilities:
· Provide technical leadership and guidance ensuring that IYA’s Meaningful Youth Participation/Engagement (MYPE), advocacy, community involvement, social behavioral change, and gender interventions are integrated, high quality and evidence-based;
· Provide overall leadership and coordination of the youth civic engagement activities, including youth group formation, youth coalition formation and rollout of youth advocacy activities and the overall meaningful engagement of youth throughout the project life cycle;
· Lead design and implementation of proven and evidence-based youth inclusion and engagement, youth organizing and youth-led advocacy strategies, guidelines, SOPs and training manuals;
· Design and implement key strategies to increase engagement of youth with key stakeholders including national partners, local collaborators, organizations, youth networks and individual leaders at each local, regional and national levels;
· Engage and advocate for youth inclusion in national policy review and formulation ensuring that government developes youth responsive policy and national strategies;
· Develop and implement capacity strengthening plans to enhance the capacity of staff, young people, youth networks, youth-serving organizations, and government in MYPE and youth-led advocacy and provide ongoing support and opportunities for partners to enhance their institutional performance;
· Provide strategic direction of organization’s shift to becoming youth-centric among the IYA consortium and external partners;
· Oversee the development and implementation of all SBC activities across multiple issues including peace and security, education, health, economic development, and others;
· Oversee and ensure that gender equality and social inclusion (GESI) is integrated across all program thematic areas.
· Lead in the development and/or review of MYPE, advocacy, community involvement and SBC program work plans, quarterly, biannual and annual reports; in consultation with the Program Directors, update the monthly, quarterly and annual plan of action and share with relevant staff;
· Work with the DCOP and PM&E unit to develop monitoring, evaluation and reporting systems that will effectively capture progress towards results and that will ensure consistent monitoring of program activities being implemented;
Partnership, Networking, and Collaboration
· Oversee establishment of strategic partnerships and alliances with other youth movements and groups, and build relationships at the national, regional, and city levels;
· Work very closely with IYA stakeholders including government, private sectors and donors to advocate and influence organizations to be youth friendly and meaningfully engage youth in their organization;
· At the request of the COP, represent the project in collaborative platforms with the Ethiopian government, UN agencies, Ethiopian civil society organizations, NGOs and private companies working in Ethiopia to promote the project;
· In collaboration with other directors, promote effective communication and coordination across the IYA organizational structure to ensure integrated youth services;
· Establish, cultivate, and maintain relationships with the youth ecosystem of project actors, including the public sector, private sector, civil society, community-based organizations, and local governments.
|Skills / Competencies:|
How to Apply
If you are Interested? Please visit our website https://amref.org/job/youth-inclusion-and-engagement-director/ to make your application. You will be directed to our online portal where you will need to create an account in order for you to be able to submit your application. Your application should include a cover letter detailing why you are the best fit for
this position and your CV with relevant skills and experience. Closing date will be October 22, 2021. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Duly note that Amref Health Africa does not require applicants to pay any money at whatever stage of
the recruitment and selection process and has not retained any agent in connection with recruitment.
Amref Health Africa is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people
and vulnerable adults and expects all staff to share this commitment. Amref Health Africa is an equal
opportunity employer and has a non-smoking environment policy.