MAIN OBJECTIVE OF THE POSITION
Supporting the Water, Hygiene and Sanitation (Watsan) Manager in the assessment, implementation and supervision of Watsan activities, including tools and materials employed according to MSF standards and protocols, in order to improve health and living conditions of the target population.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
• Ensuring the day-to-day implementation and administration of assigned Watsan activities at project level, including but not limited to water supply, excreta disposal, medical waste management, infection and prevention control, vector control, and dead bodies management, disease outbreak support.
• Ensuring that the MSF procedures and protocols are followed by the Watsan teams to guarantee the operational quality of the project;
• Ensuring the maintenance and repair of technical equipment in the project to guarantee an adequate running of Watsan activities;
• Ensuring the distribution of the materials and tools used in water treatment, hygiene and sanitation (e.g. physical organization and inventory of stocks, receiving and processing orders for water, sanitation and hygiene material, check that the amounts received are recorded, and check monthly consumptions, etc.);
• Supporting the Watsan Manager in ensuring an appropriate emergency preparedness and response capacity (physical verification of stocks, contacts, transport means, staff training). Ensuring appropriate assistance to the project response team and if required, participating in emergency activities or exploratory visits
• Supporting the Watsan Manager in the team planning (e.g. staff rosters and admin, HR processes, etc.) and informing and involving the Watsan Manager in case of any major management or technical issue, and providing all required reporting
• Planning and supervising the HR processes (recruitment, training, performance evaluation, tasks definition and internal and external communication) of the staff under his/her responsibility in order to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required for the activity
Participating in data collection and reporting as required.
Assessment in SNNPR region
The watsan supervisor in this specific context will be part of an assessment team in SNNP Region. The watsan supervisor report to the watsan manager.
Together with the Watsan Manager the supervisor will work on the different steps of the assessments: autorities, assessment in the health facilities, communities, internal displaced people etc. according to the need. The WatSan team will identify and quantify key gaps/risk factors- for prioritization and defining intervention location based on needs, vulnerability and capacity.
MSF Section/Context Specific Accountabilities
MSF Belgium is looking to build an emergency response team in Ethiopia and for this will look for individual interested in commitment to work for MSF on emergency response team and/or reserve pool basis.
MSF is an independent, neutral and impartial organisation that is providing quality medical care free of charge regardeless the ethnic origin of our patients, so to both local and refugee population. If MSF Belgium has a long history in Ethiopia (from 1984 to 2013) the re-establishment of the organization in the country (since March 2021) require to re-build our presence as a new INGO operating in Ethiopia. Today, MSF Belgium is running 2 projects (SNNP and Tigray regions) and building a Mobile Ethiopia Emergency Team (MEET) which has conducted several assessments with some short-term responses (SNNP, Amhara, Afar). Currently we are preparing an emergency intervention in Afar region. Our intention is to develop a rapid response capacity, allowing a fast-track assessment and humanitarian response in all the regions of Ethiopia. The MSF Belgium’s strategy in Ethiopia is to respond to medical needs, as per our mandate, while having a strong focus on the Environmental Health as a preventive approach.
|Education||Technical diploma, desirable specialization in water and sanitation.|
|Experieces||Previous experience in technical works and organising of multiple activities, preferably within MSF or other international organizations. Experience with private companies can be considered if relevant to the job.
Technical experience in rehabilitation of handpumps, boreholes (Included solar powered), spring catchment, reservoirs or similar things are an asset.
Others local languages are an asset
|Competencies||• Results and Quality Orientation L2
• Teamwork and Cooperation L2
• Behavioural Flexibility L2
• Commitment to MSF Principles L2
• Stress Management L3
How to Apply
All applicants should send a CV, a cover letter, educational records, work certificates and a copy of national ID.
Application can be submitted/sent: by email:
(please indicate on the subject box: the vacancy title and your name)
Posting date: 30/09/2021
Closing date: 02/10/2021
MSF Belgium promotes the EQUITY, DIVERSITY & INCLUSION.
We strongly encourage women and people with reduced mobility (able to work in remote places) to apply.
Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Please note that only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Copies of CV + supporting documents are non-returnable. Phone calls are not allowed.