September 17, 2021
Post Title: Water Technician
Report to: WASH Officer
Duty Station: Oromia Regional State, Gombi Bordede
Salary: As per the organizations scale
Duration: One year with possible extension
Islamic Relief is an international relief and development charity founded in 1984 with its headquarters in Birmingham. UK. As well as responding to disasters and emergencies, Islamic Relief promotes sustainable economic and social development by working with local communities – regardless of race, religion or gender. The office officially started its operation in Ethiopia in 2004. Islamic Relief Ethiopia (IRE) is operational in the Somali Regional State with a base office in Hargelle, Elkere, Bare and Dekasuftu; Afar Regional State: Ewa and Gulina, Oromia Regional State; Chiro and Meayso and an additional operational office in Addis Ababa. For more information please visit our website: http://www.islamic-relief.org/work-with-us.
Reporting to the WASH Officer, the Water Technician will be responsible to provide technical support to the outlined project in assessment and specifying maintenance needs, preparation of simple and practical operation guidelines for pumps and gen-sets. He/she will work closely with the WASH Officer; specifically be charged with supporting the WASH teams in planning, designing, development of BoQs and overall budgeting, technical implementation of water supply systems including rehabilitation and training of Operation & Maintenance teams and Water Management Committees and Woreda water office staffs.
- Working closely with the WASH Officer, support IR WASH teams in planning, designing, development of detailed Bills of Quantities and overall budgeting and, preparation of bid documents for implementation of water supply systems.
- Support IR WASH teams in identification of electro-mechanical equipment’s requirements for water systems and engage in maintenance works.
- Support IR project team to ensure active participation and involvement of Woreda water, health & education offices, local government and community structures and beneficiaries in planning, implementation, supervision, monitoring and evaluation of rehabilitation and emergency WASH activities.
- Support IR technical team in the process of conducting detailed assessments for project sites, draft layouts and designs of water supply systems, developed in a participatory process that incorporate the needs of the community, including those of women and vulnerable members of the community. Whenever necessary, advise senior Officer on possible relocations based on assessment findings and discussions with Woreda administration.
- Support IR WASH team in preparation of specification, bid evaluation and analysis for supply of electro-mechanical equipment’s, supply of O&M tools and spare parts.
- Support IR team in conducting water quality surveillance and testing, building capacity of Woreda water/health bureaus staff in carrying out water quality testing at water points and households.
- Contribute towards development of standard Water Management Committee and system Operators selection and training.
- Contribute towards development of specification and standard list of minor O&M tools, and easily moving parts for electromechanical equipment’s.
- Monitor and lead on going water scheme rehabilitation works on the site, provides directions and produce regular reports
- Any other relevant duties as may be assigned by the senior Officer and WASH coordinator.
- Support IR in ensuring linkages with Woreda water office operational and maintenance unit for effective utilization of resources.
- Attend Woreda WASH task force and coordination meetings as assigned by the senior Officer.
- When assigned by WASH Officer, represent the project in cluster coordination meetings and provide prompt feedback.
- To submit biweekly and monthly program activity plans to the WASH Officer and be responsible for providing support to the IRs for the implementation, supervision, monitoring and reporting of all project activities in the areas of assignment.
- Submit biweekly and monthly activity reports to WASH Officer.
- Participate in preparation of sector reports for submission to Program area and country office, Government and donors.
Monitoring and Evaluation
- In liaison with IRs, ensure regular monitoring of program activities to determine the success of interventions and recommend any changes in program design to the WASH Officer and technically to the WASH Coordinator.
The position has no direct supervisee; however, the job holder will:-
- Collaborate with Community Development Officer and Sanitation and Hygiene Promoter to provide regular feedback to IR on the performance and areas for improvement in the WASH sector or activities under project.
KEY WORKING RELATIONSHIPS:
- Working in consultations with WASH Officer and Area Coordinator, Hygiene and Sanitation Promotion Officer/s, Community Development Officer and WASH coordinator.
- In liaison with IR, working to support IRs WASH teams who are in charge of planning and implementation of WASH activities under the project.
- Provide any relevant support sort by IR to coordinate and collaborate with Regional and Woreda Water and Health Officers, Kebele leaders and Extension workers.
- Working together with the Sanitation & Hygiene Promoter and Community Development Officer support IRs in capacity building for Water Management Committees and Sanitation and Hygiene volunteers.
- Diploma in water technology electromechanical works or other related filed of studies.
- Minimum 4 years’ experience in implementation of Water Work projects, preferably emergency WASH projects in humanitarian, NGO or Government organizations.
- Proven knowledge of water works, construction management and emergency response activities.
- Computer literacy in MS word, Excel and CAD.
- Fluency in local language (Afan Oromo) is Mandatory
- Good in written and spoken English
- Previous relevant experience in the INGO sector is an asset
- Female candidates are highly encouraged.
Safeguarding and Equal Opportunity
Islamic Relief and Islamic Relief staff considers the welfare and protection of children, young people and people at risk to be paramount to the organization. And must adhere the principle of ‘do no harm and leave no one behind.’ It is critical we do not expose communities or staff we work with to the risk of harm through our interventions. With a zero tolerance approach Islamic Relief have a number of related policies which also describe standards in behavior expected from the organization, its staff and representatives towards each other and those we serve. Islamic Relief is committed to responding swiftly, appropriately and constructively to any and all information children, young people and people at risk have disclosed.
All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks. We participate in the Inter Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme and will request information from job applicants’ previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and child abuse during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment before signing the contract agreement.
Islamic Relief believes everyone has the right to be safe, respected and valued regardless of who they are or their circumstances, and an equal employment opportunity to all candidates and qualified applicants, we do not discriminate on the base of age, sex, race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability status and diversity.
How to Apply
· Interested candidates are required to submit a complete Job application form with all required supporting documents (copy of credentials and testimonials) through Ethiopia.HR@islamic-relief.org.et.
· You can access the Job Application Form with this link: http://www.islamic-relief.org.et/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Employment-Application-form-1.docx. Failure to follow the instructions will invalidate your application.
· Closing date for the application is October 01, 2021.
· Due to the high volume of application, we regret that we will be able to contact only the shortlisted candidates.