Plan International is an independent child rights and humanitarian organisation committed to children living a life free of poverty, violence and injustice.
We actively unite children, communities and other people who share our mission to make positive lasting changes in children’s and young people’s lives. We support children to gain the skills, knowledge and confidence they need to claim their rights to a fulfilling life, today and in the future. We place a specific focus on girls and women, who are most often left behind.
We have been building powerful partnerships for children for more than 75 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries. The position holder is primarily responsible to lead and implement the WASH development as well as humanitarian component of the integrated WASH, Health and Nutrition project in two project districts of Gambella regional state and to insure the linkage to the Country WASH Program at the project level. The post holder is responsible for the delivery of results in line with pre-agreed project plans and objectives and oversees Project implementation at all stages throughout the project cycle. Given that a significant amount of the project thematic activities are done in partnership with key government sector offices, s/he will have also a key aspect of the role is nurturing, developing and facilitating the achievement of results.
The post holder will report to the Programme Implementation Manager at Gambella PA, and technical report to WASH Specialist at the country office. The post holder will have overall responsibility for the planning, management, operation, coordination and regular monitoring of the project to ensure smooth and fast implementation of WASH project activities, including redesigning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation and manage the budget at the Project level. The post holder will manage approximately 5 million Birr of annual budget.
The post holder is responsible for project design, Planning, Implementation, Construction Supervision and Contract Administration, monitoring, working with community and local government, and reporting while ensuring quality Project delivery to the overall WASH program and Infrastructure activities. She/he ensures integration as well as smooth teamwork within and across other project staffs that have similar mission to the project for achieving the project goal. Key components of the position also include working with other regional actors, (like NGOs, UN Agencies, etc) regional advocacy and networking, project level thematic area planning, developing and strengthening partnerships and mainstreaming of child centred and women focus community development. The position holder is also expected to Prepare and develop any form of project work plans in consultation with the health and nutrition coordinator and other appropriate stakeholders in project targeted areas.
- The post holder will have overall responsibility for the planning, management, operation, coordination and regular monitoring of the project to ensure smooth and fast implementation of WASH project activities, including redesigning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation and manage the budget at the Project level.
- The post holder will manage approximately 5 million Birr of annual budget.
- The post holder will have responsibility ensure the quality program delivery of the feasibility study, detail design, BOQ, contract management, regular monitoring, construction supervision, quality control, and report preparations of water and sanitation facilities.
- Facilitate and lead the district stakeholder for Implementation and integration of WASH and health and nutrition project.
- Ensure record any documentation about the project history for learning, and reporting
- She/he will ensure a smooth working environment and teamwork within Plan International Ethiopia the respective field staff sand across the WASH, health and nutrition partners;
Project design, implementation and reporting
- Management of the WASH project specific budget at the program area level.
- Responsible for project design, overseeing implementation and monitoring while ensuring quality program delivery of the overall WASH country program activities.
- Regional advocacy and networking, strategic thematic area planning, developing and strengthening partnerships and mainstreaming of child centered community development.
- Nurturing, developing and facilitating the achievement of results.
- Implement the specific project and programme thematic initiatives pertaining to Gambella program area in line with different components within the country strategy as well as in support of overall country programme goals and objectives.
- Provide any requested technical support, assistance and follow up to the program area WASH initiatives in tandem with other field based staffs and program managers to ensure the quality of program delivery in an efficient way and manner which will collectively address the real needs of Children, Adolescents and Women in need.
- Prepare quarterly project and program updates and reports (both financial and narrative reports) in consultation with concerned bodies to be incorporated into the general project as well as country Program quarterly reports.
- Develop proactive and constructive collaboration with different departments within PIE for a consorted and team driven effort towards fulfilling the vision, missions and impact areas of the organization.
- Develop partnerships with individuals, groups and organizations and networks whose support are essential to the achievement of PIE’s organizational objectives, and strengthen their capacity through appropriate training and experience sharing initiatives.
Policy engagement and networking
- The Post holder serve as a principal representative to WASH thematic networks and clusters in the project areas that has relevance to the project implementation, to create collaborative and positive partnerships and alliances, and to influence policy that maximizes the impact of the project.
- Establish links and good relationships with relevant district government authorities, UN organizations, NGOs, academic and research institutions and the media, in the area of water, sanitation and hygiene to draw information and knowledge for project efficiency and effectiveness.
- Makes follow up and proper documentation and share of district government information, strategies with respect to water sanitation and hygiene.
Partnership development and strengthening
- Periodically collect project related and relevant information about other organizations working within the target districts to gain institutional knowledge of the environment.
- Seeks opportunities for different kinds of partnership for enhanced quality project implementation.
- Provide technical assistance and build the capacities of WASHCOs, clubs and local partners in project management.
- for smooth project implementation of the project Facilitates communication and interaction between partners/collaborators
Relationship Management / Communications
- Assist and support communication department in developing communication materials through adopting and contextualizing it and disseminate to identified target audiences, support the department in translating materials into local languages as necessary.
- Collaborate and participate in effective knowledge and information management systems where the necessary Country Program Information is well documented and shared internally and externally as necessary.
- Promote a collaborative, team environment amongst project/program team.
- Inform line manager and donor of any issues or proposed resource changes (financial or human) that may require technical assistance or donor approval in a timely fashion.
- Oversee outreach activities at program areas to support and raise awareness about the purpose of the project and any related opportunities.
- Shall perform any other duties as assigned by his line manager, the sponsorship and Communication Manager and/or the CD
Child Protection and Gender Equality Responsibilities
- Demonstrate commitment to Plan’s child protection policy through implementing the policy in its entirety, and report any actual or potential risk situations following the reporting procedures, being aware of abuse and risks to children, being vigilant, becoming familiar with the Child Protection Policy.
- Raise children’s rights/protection awareness and important of gender equality and respect to diversity within Plan and amongst partners and community members.
- Child protection and gender equality policies are understood by the staff and partners.
- Ensure equal participation and benefit of boys and girls and children with disabilities in all phases of project implementation.
- Ensure sufficient budget and resources are allocated for gender equality activity in their respective area annual plans and project activities.
- Support partners in understanding plans’ gender equality strategy and program criteria and capacity building activities on gender as part of the regular work at field level.
- Ensure the representation of Plan Ethiopia in their respective project from gender equality perspectives.
- Plan Ethiopia has put in place a CP policy that all of its staff must adhere to and sign.
- Ensures that Plan International’s global policies for Child Protection (CPP) and Gender Equality and Inclusion (GEI) are fully embedded in accordance with the principles and requirements of the policy including relevant Implementation Standards and Guidelines as applicable to their area of responsibility. This includes, but is not limited to, ensuring staff and associates are aware of and understand their responsibilities under these policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC), their relevance to their area of work, and that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures.
- Prepare and provide all the necessary technical and information inputs prepare quarterly, mid-term and yearly reports and end of project report deliverables, as per standard templates and direction provided, including all narrative and financial content and associated annexes.
- Prepare and submit monthly narrative reports, including updates on project progress and outstanding issues to line manager and communication department as necessary.
- Identify and communicate any issues related to project delay to the line manager, other concerned bodies and include relevant mitigation/contingency plans.
- Assist and ensure that results of any internal Plan-led or external donor-led audits are addressed.
- Provide technical support for government partners and program unit staff on effective M and E applications.
- Identify, document and disseminate best practices, success stories and story of changes from within and outside Plan to staff and other development partners.
- Ensure project learning and achievements are documented and disseminated widely.
- Ensure all project documentation is filed and organised for accountability purposes.
Dealing with Problems:
- The post holder will coordinate field based staffs in collaboration with the health and nutrition coordinator and officer to ensure the highest level of program quality and overall impact. This will encompass strengthening accountability, planning, management, adherence to policies and procedures, and promoting a culture for delivery of results.
- The position involves a high degree of complexity in resolving a wide range of challenges which typically occur in project management. The post holder will demonstrate the ability to solve problems, thinking strategically while implementing projects, introducing innovations as needed to meet the demands of a dynamic operating environment while ensuring Plan systems and policies are adhered to.
- Understands organizational strategies and contributes to its fulfilment by supporting his/her team to play their roles and implement programs in accordance with organizational values, goals and requirements.
- Working at community and district level to give support to partners and sector staffs, influences PA colleagues to adhere to required implementation standards in an integrated manner to support the sustainability and effectiveness of the PlE programs.
- The post holder will coordinate with other project staffs, including WASH and Health and Nutrition coordinators to ensure the highest level of program quality and overall impact. This will encompass strengthening accountability, planning, management, adherence to policies and procedures, and promoting a culture for delivery of results.
Educational Qualification and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree or above in Sanitary Engineering, Hydraulic Engineering, Civil Engineering, Water Resources Engineering or related disciplines with at least 5 years relevant experience in water supply and sanitation development, construction supervision and Contract Administration out of which a minimum of 2 years of NGO experience.
- Demonstrated experience in the management (feasibility study, design, construction supervision, contract administration etc.) of water supply and sanitation projects and infrastructures.
- Experience in CLTSH, community mobilization and organization skill
- Experience in preparation of Bill of quantities and specification, bid document preparation and evaluation, contract document preparation, negotiation management, as well as supervision and administration of projects.
- Experience and Knowledge of using Water CAD, AutoCAD and related software packages are advantageous.
- Knowledge of the water, sanitation and hygiene sector.
- Knowledge and experience in supervising infrastructures.
- In-depth knowledge of project cycle management and child centred community development programming.
- Knowledge of development issues, trends, challenges and opportunities and implications to community development.
- Knowledge of effective participatory Monitoring, Evaluation and Research systems and processes.
- Experience in implementation of integrated WASH, Health and Nutrition projects.
- Skills Specific to the Post and Competencies
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to build relationships with colleagues.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including presentation.
- Strong negotiation, influencing and problem solving skills.
- Numeracy and the ability to interpret financial data, in order to understand budgetary processes including planning, monitoring and reporting.
- Ability to analyze information and evaluate options including planning skills.
- Proficient in computer skills and use of relevant software and other applications.
- Ability to interpret financial data, in order to provide management support to budgetary processes including planning, monitoring and reporting.
- Strong, demonstrable grants management and compliance experience.
- Resilience, adaptability and flexibility: ability to operate effectively under a stressful and working environment, often under tight timelines and high donor expectations
- Child center development and Gender aware.
- Fluency in English and Amharic languages
- Knowledge and skill of local languages is a plus
How to Apply
The closing date for the application in 03 October 2021. Qualified candidates should submit the application using the link provided below:
This position is only open to Ethiopian Nationals, who must be eligible to live and work in Ethiopia.
More information about Plan International can be found on http://plan-international.org
References will be taken and background and anti-terrorism checks will be carried out in conformity with Plans Child Protection Policy. Plan operates an equal opportunities policy and actively encourages diversity, welcoming applications from all persons meeting the skills and experience required.
As an international child centered community development organization, Plan International is fully committed to promoting the realization of children’s rights including their right to protection from violence and abuse. That means we have particular responsibilities to children that we come into contact with.
Plan International believes that in a world where children face so many threats of harm, it is our duty to ensure that we as an organization, do everything we can to keep children safe. We must not contribute in any way to harming or placing children at risk.
Female applicants are highly encouraged to apply.