Employment Type: Full time
September 17, 2021
Post Title: WASH Officer
Report to: Area Coordinator
Duty Station: Oromia Regional State, Chiro/Meayso
Salary: As per the organizations scale
Duration: One year with possible extension
Islamic Relief is an international relief and development charity founded in 1984 with its headquarters in Birmingham. UK. As well as responding to disasters and emergencies, Islamic Relief promotes sustainable economic and social development by working with local communities – regardless of race, religion or gender. The office officially started its operation in Ethiopia in 2004. Islamic Relief Ethiopia (IRE) is operational in the Somali Regional State with a base office in Hargelle, Elkere, Bare and Dekasuftu; Afar Regional State: Ewa and Gulina, Oromia Regional State; Chiro and Meayso and an additional operational office in Addis Ababa. For more information please visit our website: http://www.islamic-relief.org/work-with-us.
Reporting to the Area Coordinator, the WASH Officer will be primarily responsible to plan, implement, monitor and evaluate the ongoing WASH Project in coordination with the Area Coordinator and WASH Coordinator. He is also responsible to provide technical support to the outlined project in assessment and specifying maintenance needs, preparation of simple and practical operation guidelines for pumps and gen-sets. He/she will work closely with the Area Coordinator; specifically be charged with supporting the WASH teams in planning, designing, drilling, development of BoQs and overall budgeting, technical implementation of water supply systems including rehabilitation and training of Operation & Maintenance teams and Water Management Committees and Woreda water office staffs. He/she is ultimately responsible for getting the project is accomplished as per plan and conditions.
- Ensure water, hygiene and Sanitation (WASH) program is deployed on schedule, and implemented according to standards, policies and procedures of the organization, government and donors with due respect for cultural values and norms of affected population;
- Coordinate WASH program implementation activities in the field (full project cycle management);
- Works closely with DRMFSS, zonal and Woreda administrations and water and health line offices and facilitates the signing of Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) so as to establish conducive working environment, promote transparency, and increase stakeholder participation;
- Prepare project WASH action plans and budget requirements and submit fund transfer request to the senior project officer as per schedule, follow up that fund is transferred and used in procedural and timely manner for the intended purpose;
- Coordinate new construction and drilling activities, procurements of items and prepare standards designs, bill of quantities and tender documents as deemed necessary;
- Design and supervise the implementation of the hygiene promotion and community mobilization activities (house visits, group sessions, school activities, recreation activities and any other community-based events);
- Ensure that activities and targets are achieved through regular monitoring and supervision; Facilitates the timely flow of information;
- Prepare and submit monthly, quarterly, bi-annual, annual and terminal financial and narrative WASH reports for the consumption of supervisors and government;
- Organizes and conducts WASH training and capacity building program for project and counterpart staff with technical backup through, mentoring and coaching in the area of community mobilization, project action plan setting, implementation, and monitoring and coordinating evaluation exercises;
- Collect and organize field data, developments in the sectors, best practice, and other necessary information in identifying areas of need, gaps and likely support to be provide for WASH activities and further ensures its timely flow of information with partner organizations;
- Take part and organize or facilitate impact assessments, surveys and produce reports for donors and counterparts for learning;
- Liaise with internal and external WASH actors (NGOs, the Government offices, the UN, local partners, and other institutions) to ensure that there is an appropriate flow of information to field WASH operations to coordinated response action through attending regular emergency coordination meetings, and promotion of joint activities and information sharing;
- Supports overall monitoring and enhance the accountability of the humanitarian system response and ensure proper utilization of WASH resources as per government and donor requirements;
- Promotes the application of national and regional WASH standards, international Sphere Humanitarian Charter and Minimum Standards in Disaster Response activities and other conventional humanitarian codes and guidelines;
- He will lead and monitor drilling activities and regularly report on its progress to WASH Coordinator.
- Manage project staff performance and development under his/her supervision;
- Perform other functions as required.
· University bachelor degree in Water engineering, water Resources, Hydro-geology, Hydraulics, Environmental or Civil Engineering or any other related discipline with extensive WASH and emergency trainings with at least 5 years relevant experience preferably who works in NGOs emergency projects
· Demonstrated skills in design preparation, bill of quantities and specifications
· Proven skills in project planning, design, implementation, M&E;
· Demonstrated ability in proposal and report writing skills;
· Proven management and people coaching, mentoring and supervisory skills;
· Proven communication and people skills;
· Knowledge of the government current systems and policy environment specifically at Woreda level;
· Willing to work in remote area, committed challenging work and value centered individual;
· Fluency oral and written communications in English. Local language (Afan Oromo) is preferable
· Demonstrated skills working in computer software, AutoCAD WinWord, Spreadsheet etc.
· Female Candidates are high encouraged.
Safeguarding and Equal Opportunity
Islamic Relief and Islamic Relief staff considers the welfare and protection of children, young people and people at risk to be paramount to the organization. And must adhere the principle of ‘do no harm and leave no one behind.’ It is critical we do not expose communities or staff we work with to the risk of harm through our interventions. With a zero tolerance approach Islamic Relief have a number of related policies which also describe standards in behavior expected from the organization, its staff and representatives towards each other and those we serve. Islamic Relief is committed to responding swiftly, appropriately and constructively to any and all information children, young people and people at risk have disclosed.
All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks. We participate in the Inter Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme and will request information from job applicants’ previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and child abuse during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment before signing the contract agreement.
Islamic Relief believes everyone has the right to be safe, respected and valued regardless of who they are or their circumstances, and an equal employment opportunity to all candidates and qualified applicants, we do not discriminate on the base of age, sex, race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability status and diversity.
How to Apply
· Interested candidates are required to submit a complete Job application form with all required supporting documents (copy of credentials and testimonials) through Ethiopia.HR@islamic-relief.org.et.
· You can access the Job Application Form with this link: http://www.islamic-relief.org.et/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Employment-Application-form-1.docx. Failure to follow the instructions will invalidate your application.
· Closing date for the application is October 01, 2021.
Due to the high volume of application, we regret that we will be able to contact only the shortlisted candidates