Deadline: Jun 23, 2022
USAID CATALYZE Ethiopia: MS4G Private Sector WASH Advisor
Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact -the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits. For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved -and is committed to continuing to improve -economies, societies and most importantly, people’s lives. Palladium is a child-safe organization, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
CATALYZE is a $250 million 5 to 8-year program, designed to catalyze $2 billion in private capital, especially to underfinanced social sectors (such as education) and higher risk countries (especially low-income and post-conflict countries) around the globe, complemented by a cross-cutting inclusion of gender-lens investing. CATALYZE will provide services to many missions and bureaus that “buy in” to tap the CATALYZE investment and pay-for-results project management expertise. Our aim is for investors to explore and find commercially viable opportunities and approaches to creating jobs, developing sustainable social services, tightening and rationalizing supply chains, and advancing inclusive growth.
USAID CATALYZE Ethiopia: MS4G is designed to benefit the Ethiopian people, build community resilience, and strengthen rural-urban linkages in the areas of food security and WASH. MS4G invests in developing strong relationships with private sector players, co-investing in inclusive business models, advisory services, digital solutions, and market-based initiatives that increase the resilience and sustainability of Ethiopian enterprises and employment for women and youth.
MS4G uses a market systems approach to address key food security and WASH sub-systems and the impact of economic shocks, including COVID-19 and political instability, by stimulating adoption, adaptation, broad expansion, responsive institutionalization, and scaling of approaches and business models to transform the lives of Ethiopians.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
The MS4G WASH Advisor will report to MS4G Country Director and collaborate closely with MS4G Technical Leads across the enterprise support, capital mobilization, skills building and job placement, and digital economy components. The purpose of this assignment is to support the MS4G as it expands its support to businesses and organizations in the WASH sector. Tasks include:
- Based on the MS4G Performance Work Statement (PWS), current activities and work plan, work with MS4G staff to brainstorm potential WASH interventions that align with MS4G component areas.
- Coordinate with MS4G’s team the creation of work plan activities and initiative design across MS4G technical areas (i.e. enterprise support, workforce development, capital mobilization, business enabling environment, and digitalization) by providing guidance and input.
- Participate in strategic WASH program planning and discussions with USAID and other USAID programs. Participate in WASH Donor collaboration meetings.
- Work with MS4G staff to map and develop a list of key private WASH partners for MS4G staff to meet as part of its WASH programming and partnership activities.
- Facilitate and participate in meetings with 1) selected private sector WASH actors and 2) other development programs and donors active in the WASH sector to inform the scoping and design of MS4G WASH activities in the areas of enterprise support, finance, enabling environment and digitalization.
- Actively engage with WASH sector development trends, for maximum efficiency of the project and effectiveness in program design, management, and implementation.
- Lead engagements with the private sector on WASH financing, business growth, market assessment, product creation, and commercial and business development.
- Coordinate and work with regional MS4G offices in WASH private sector engagement and implementation.
- Plan, coordinate, and direct WASH activities of the project to ensure that activities are implemented in compliance with the approved targets and objectives.
- Monitor and support WASH projects per the planned project implementation schedule.
- Closely follow up and play a technical leadership role in WASH project planning, monitoring evaluation and implementation.
- Extensive experience in private sector engagement in relation to water, hygiene and sanitation in Ethiopia,
- Understanding of the financial and regulatory constraints facing private sector companies in Ethiopia, particularly in the provision of water and sanitation services,
- Ability to research and consult on technical and policy issues related to WASH services, and analyse the challenges to private sector engagement in Ethiopia,
- Proven knowledge of Ethiopian finance, private enterprise, investment, and WASH-related issues,
- Solid experience on market-based sanitation (MBS) and working with formal and informal financial sectors
- Ability to develop WASH businesses financial models for small/medium businesses
- Evidence of strong communication skills, both interpersonal and written with professional fluency in English required
- Demonstrated organizational skills and a strong track record in meeting deliverable and donor deadlines
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree, Master’s degree preferred, in Public Health with Environmental Health Background, Engineering, WASH-related, natural resource/development economics, environmental engineering, or other related field of study.
- Five or more years of professional experience in international development field as an expert for USAID or donor funded projects related to private sector engagement in the provision WASH services
- Previous experience/knowledge of USAID and private sector engagement projects, approaches, and policy,
- Knowledge on previous WASH-related or similar projects in international development, particularly in African countries.
- Open to local and international candidates
How to Apply
Qualified applicants can submit their cover letter along with an updated CV via email to; https://palladium.csod.com/ATS/JobRequisition/JobRequisition.aspx?id=12669