- To conduct situational analysis: this includes regional spatial diagnosis and base-mapping at Wereda level, summary of the key strategic issues (constraints and opportunities) and determination of the emerging spatial structure which influences regional development, based on desk review, data collection (Matrix of Function and spatial documents), and consultative workshops;
- To identify the existing resources and plan utilization of such resources in each region;
- To prioritize and guide investment decisions as per the regional spatial development plan;
- To prepare a complete Regional Spatial Development Framework (SDF) comprising of vision for 2040, spatial development strategies (i.e. goals, objectives, targets, and strategies) and planning guidelines for the desired future, in the context of the national development goals as stipulated in strategic development plans of the country (i.e. NUSDP and the Ten-Year Perspective Plan) and other relevant global agendas, especially the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the New Urban Agenda (NUA);
- To identify and prepare regional development policies and measures (i.e. policy statements, programs, projects, etc.) that can achieve the objectives under the SDF following the regional spatial structure proposed based on a preferred scenario;
- To develop a comprehensive implementation plan, including an investment roadmap, institutional arrangements and legislation framework, and organizational capacity development program;
- To prepare a monitoring and evaluation system that inform government budgeting, private investments, public-private partnership, etc…
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The incumbent will have to perform the following assignments independently and in collaboration with the project regional team leader and other team members:
- Participate in the pre-planning phase (i.e. induction program, reconnaissance survey, stakeholder mapping, etc.) and contribute to the development of the inception report tailored to the specific region the incumbent is applying for. The contribution focuses on the transport planning issues, including the definition of the study area and planning horizon, the design of study approaches and methodologies, and appropriate survey plan (i.e. locations, schedule, sampling approaches, checklists, staffing, etc.); the review and analysis of policy documents and legislations; and formulation of detail work plan with project activities and scheduling.
- Develop data collection instruments based on the agreed upon checklists, which will be used at federal, regional, zonal and wereda levels, specifying the types of data to be collected, the sources of data and methods of data collection.
- Establish regular field contact and rapport building with the stakeholders (i.e. institutions, community, development actors, etc.) and zonal- and wereda-level data collection supervisors and facilitators. Guide the supervisors and facilitators of data collection to collate the existing conditions in the transport system, comprehensive traffic and mobility situations, institutional and organizational arrangements, proposed and existing land use, street inventory (i.e. width, carriage way, public transport, utilities, quality, etc.), traffic accident, public transport frequency-occupancy (i.e. service types, route, number of passenger, travel time, vehicle size, operation statistics, costing, fleet frequency, etc.), origin-destination survey, vehicle fleet data, terminal and other transport infrastructure with the field observations.
- Execute data collection and analysis at national, regional, zonal and wereda level as per the agreed upon data collection plan (i.e. content, schedule and survey methods);
- Conduct situational studies and analysis the existing conditions in the transport system that will provide an effective base from which to define the direction for transport improvements and evaluate alternative transport development scenarios. More specifically:
- Review relevant transport-related policies, strategic documents, design/planning norms and standards, institutional and legislative documents, development plans (i.e. NUDSP, national and regional Ten-Year Perspective Plans, etc.), National and Regional Transport Plans (i.e. highway, railway, airport, dry/wet ports, etc.), comprehensive traffic, transport and mobility studies and plans, detail project reports, land use planning documents, street plans, and other available information relevant to the study of transport planning;
- Review of international best practices and acceptable set of multiple criteria on contemporary transport development mechanisms/frameworks, supporting the identification of challenges and prospects, and inconsistency or deficiency in the transport sector;
- Conduct SWOT analysis, trend analysis, and develop and calibrate a transport model that will base in the development of the strategic regional transport plan and implementation schemes. Identify emerging transport system issues (challenges and opportunities);
- Compile and analyze data using spreadsheet, database software, computer modelling, GIS and remote sensing, and other technical tools by cross referencing geo-information for each survey and analysis;
- Maintain regular contacts with other sector studies within and across the region to timely detect and remove unnecessary overlaps and to ensure the achievement of synergy;
- Participate in project level meetings to be organized by the Regional Team Leader to review, present progress or solicit inputs from project staff and stakeholders (regional steering committee, client and other key development actors) and to enhance the participation, commitment and perception of the various aspects of the project;
- Participate in the organization and facilitation of national, regional and zonal/wereda-level consultative and validation workshops, meetings and events to be organized by the Team Leader and Project Managers; and
- Write synthesis reports for the transportation planning sector study including those thematic areas that will be integral components of more holistic identification of key opportunities and constraints (emerging regional development issues).
- Keep custody and backup of documents, data and information to be collected in due course of carrying out the various tasks of the transportation planning sector study.
- Help in the development of participatory mechanisms and framework for establishing and strengthening regional and wereda-level community and stakeholder engagement and collate and document participatory processes for lesson learnt.
- Liaison with institutions, government agencies and multiple stakeholders.
- Contribute to the development of strategic development framework (vision, development objectives and mitigation strategies to address key issues, etc.), urban/regional growth scenarios (baseline land use scenario and transit-oriented development scenarios), transport scenarios, transport plan proposals and solutions and mitigation strategies for all constraints and potentials identified in the diagnosis of the existing conditions.
- Prepare weekly and monthly project progress updates and reports.
- A comprehensive and complete inception report developed for the region the Transport Planner is applying for, illustrating appropriate mechanisms that support the development of a comprehensive Regional Development Spatial Plan for the region under consideration.
- Appropriate checklists and data collection instruments, tailored to the region, developed with the involvement of the Transport Planner.
- Transport planning specific training and capacity building programs organized and delivered with the inputs of the Transport Planner for project staff, data collectors and supervisors, members of the steering and technical committees, client and other key stakeholders.
- Comprehensive field surveys conducted, and transport planning system data and information collected, collated, and analyzed and interpreted by the Transport Planner to produce regional sectoral profiles and identify emerging transport system development issues that shape regional development priorities.
- Participatory mechanisms and civic engagement programs designed and implemented with the focused contribution of the Transport Planner.
- Project results of the region compiled, presented, and communicated consistently to project staff, clients and key stakeholders with the inputs of the Transport Planner.
- Regional profiles prepared and key emerging development issues identified with the contribution of the Transport Planner.
- Strategic Development Framework (SDF) of the region comprising Vision 2040, development objectives and mitigation strategies formulated with the focused contribution of the Transport Planner.
- Ability to identify key strategic issues, opportunities and risks. Ability to generate and communicate broad and compelling organizational direction. Ability to communicate clearly links between the Organization’s strategy and the work unit’s goals. Demonstrated ability to provide innovative technical leadership by performing and/or overseeing the planning, development, and management of operation. Demonstrated ability to negotiate and apply good judgment Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- Delegates the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority; makes sure that roles, responsibilities and reporting lines are clear to each staff member; accurately judges the amount of time and resources needed to accomplish a task and matches task to skills; monitors progress against milestones and deadlines; regularly discusses performance and provides feedback and coaching to staff; encourages risk-taking and supports creativity and initiative; actively supports the development and career aspirations of staff; appraises performance fairly.
- Identifies the key issues in a complex situation, and comes to the heart of the problem quickly; gathers relevant information before making a decision; considers positive and negative impacts of decisions prior to making them; takes decisions with an eye to the impact on others and on the Organization; proposes a course of action or makes a recommendation based on all available information; checks assumptions against facts; determines the actions proposed will satisfy the expressed and underlying needs for the decision; makes tough decisions when necessary.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Proven ability for building and managing effective partnerships;
- Excellent writing skills, with analytical capacity and ability to synthesize project outputs and relevant findings for the preparation of quality reports.
- Ability to work independently or with minimal supervision with a high degree of responsibility, in a flexible manner and often under pressure;
- Knowledge of financial resources and human resources management, contract, asset and procurement, and general administration;
- Capacity to coordinate and organize a team and to support project implementation;
- Ability to conduct interviews, surveys, and other data collection techniques.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in Transport planning and management, Transport engineering, urban and regional planning, geography and related field with speciality in transport planning and management;
- Excellent knowledge of the Ethiopian context and particularly aware of the region she/he wants to work in.
- A minimum of four (4) years of progressively responsible experience in Transport planning and management and analysis of transport related data at national level and at least three (3) years of similar experience on planning and development related international projects or on international level is required.
- Proven experience in transport planning fields, projects/ programme design and implementation with the UN or other international agencies is desirable. Work experience in technical cooperation and development issues required.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English (both oral and written) is required. Knowledge of any of the local languages is an asset.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.