Title: Protection Coordinator
Location: Addis Ababa
Reports to: Protection Manager
Grade – G1
Start of Contract & Duration: One year
Posting date: September 30, 2021
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), an international non-governmental organization (NGO), has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. DRC promotes and supports solutions to the problems faced by refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs), and migrants. The organization has offices across the region, and has been operational in Ethiopia since 2009. With funding from bilateral and multilateral donors, DRC is currently implementing a range of activities across Ethiopia including WASH and shelter provision, child and youth protection, gender-based violence response, awareness-raising of migration risks, protection monitoring of migration routes, and livelihoods support for returning migrants or those at-risk of migration.
OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The Protection Coordinator will be responsible for the design, implementation, and coordination of rapid protection assessments and emergency protection response, as well as providing technical support to DRC Ethiopia’s protection monitoring. In order to address the gaps in up-to-date, localized protection information that provides an accurate evidence base from which to design humanitarian responses, DRC proposes to establish a Rapid Protection Assessment (RPA) mechanism, in collaboration with the Protection Cluster. Under supervision of the Protection Manager, s/he will implement DRC’s mobile response, as well as supporting the National Protection Cluster to develop an RPA network and provide necessary training and support for other mobile protection partners.
- Ensure planning and timely implementation of DRC Rapid Protection Assessments to identify existing/emergency protection needs (general protection; GBV; child protection; and housing, land, and property) and protection/multisectoral responses with rapid deployment capacity in response to new displacement or shocks
- Support to DRC static protection teams to conduct RPAs in current operational areas, providing technical support to other protection actors on RPAs operational in areas of fresh displacement, and conduct RPAs in new areas where there is an absence of protection actors with capacity for RPAs
- Produce assessment reports outlining protection concerns, multi-sector needs, and recommendations and present on findings, recommendations, and advocacy points to DRC senior management and external stakeholders (Protection Cluster; donors)
- Collaborate with Protection Manager and Emergency Manager to define the scope and objectives of DRC protection response specific to each emergency intervention, including development of multi-sector responses, individual protection assistance, and community-based protection
- Produce structured work plan and budget for each emergency deployment, and oversee implementation to ensure ToR activities are completed and objectives are met
- Provide capacity-building training to protection and other sector response team members on general protection, GBV, and child protection, including data collection methodologies, protection information management, and adherence to protection principles
- Provide technical support and capacity-building for protection teams on protection monitoring, including information management, data collection, protection analysis, and reporting
- Support the development of concept notes and/or proposals and budgets for future mobile response programs
- Contribute to the strategic direction of DRC country mobile response programme with greater focus on protection, through participation in strategy planning meetings and developing strategic documents
Coordination and Representation:
- Contribute to the development and contextualization of RPA tools and guidelines according to international standards and best practices.
- Develop and guide a RPA network, in close collaboration with the national and subnational Protection clusters, to serve as a coordination platform for partners conducting RPAs across Ethiopia
- Conduct trainings for RPA network members on the use of contextualized RPA tools, including potential accompaniment for partners’ deployments to provide direct mentorship
Represent DRC and participate in cluster coordination and other meetings relevant to protection issues, including providing presentations on assessments at protection cluster, CP/GBV AoR, and local level humanitarian response coordination meetings.
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Experience and Technical Competencies:
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in social sciences, law, social work, international development, or another relevant field from a recognized institution.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in an entry to mid-level position in the field of humanitarian protection for an international NGO, UN agency or relevant ministry or local authority.
- Prior experience in emergency response to displacement is required
- Experience working in conflict contexts desirable
- Experience with design and implementation of protection interventions, including general protection and specialized protection services
- Excellent writing and editing skills for external audiences (including governments and donors)
- Proven commitment to accountability and quality assurance.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Experience with capacity building and organizing and facilitating training and workshops.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to establish effective and working relations with staff members and other stakeholders.
- Experience working in cross-cultural, multi-sector, insecure, and remote environments.
- Ability to work well under pressure and in adverse conditions.
- Commitment to learning and implementing organizational policies and procedures. Full proficiency in Microsoft Office.
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.ngo under Vacancies.
Please note that we receive applications up to October 13, 2021.
For general information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult www.drc.ngo.
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, colour, race, marital status or other protected characteristics
DRC’s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP’s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process.
Danish Refugee Council is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive and positive work environment based on mutual respect for all employees. All applicants are considered for employment without attention to race, age, ability, ethnicity, nationality, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other factor. At DRC we celebrate diversity and appreciate our employees for the people they are and their unique skills, backgrounds, and perspectives. We encourage all interested candidates to apply!