Deadline: Jun 15, 2022
Terms of Reference (ToR)
Operationalizing CECOE’s Organizational Systems
The Coalition of Ethiopian Civil Society Organizations for Elections (CECOE) is a coalition of over 175 local civil society organizations working on democracy and elections across the nation. With member organizations in all regional states and city administrations, CECOE was established in 2019 in an effort to solidify the role of civil society organizations in the Sixth National and Regional Elections of Ethiopia. Since then, the Coalition has carried out seminal observation pre-election, election day and post-election observation exercises during the June and September voting cycles of the sixth round of Ethiopian elections in 2021. Furthermore, the Coalition has also deployed observers during the Sidama and South West Ethiopia referendums held in 2019 and 2021 respectively. In addition to this, CECOE has also carried out voter education activities through its I-Vote campaign and monitored the media landscape for the entirety of the Sixth National and Regional Elections through its Media Monitoring Unit ( MMU)
To strengthen its organizational systems, the Coalition had developed Finance, Human resource and Procurement manuals with a view to putting in place organizational systems that enable it to manage its finance, Human resource and procurement activities as of April 2022. These manuals require immediate operationalization which necessitate the review and update of the manuals in a manner that suits the current and future demands of CECOE and its project activities. For this purpose, CECOE seeks a consultancy service for reviewing, updating its organizational systems. CECOE will shortlist/pre-qualify consultants based on their technical capacity for a consultancy period of 15(fifteen) working days who will be engaged in reviewing, updating and operationalizing CECOEs organizational systems.
The goal of engaging the consultancy’s service is to develop operational manuals and standard procedures with the goal of increasing operational efficiency and effectiveness while also promoting proper internal controls, transparency, and accountability to all stakeholders. CECOE in executing its operating plan and the ability to attract, retain, motivate, and engage employees.
The overall objective of the consultancy is to make CECOE efficient, transparent and accountable of funds and as well competitive. The reviews and operationalization of existing manuals(the Human Resource Management Policy, Financial Management Manual and Procurement and Property Management Manuals) should result in updating of these manuals, where necessary in line with modern civil society organization (CSO) work and the design of needed operational tools in consideration of CECOE’s working environment and the civil society sector. In a nut-shell, this exercise should lead to CECOE having effective and efficient administrative and management systems and structures.
Specific Tasks to be Undertaken by the Consultant
The Consultant will;
- Appraise and update CECOE’s current organizational manuals for their relevance, effectiveness, appropriateness and in line with modern systems
- Based on the existing Human Resources Manual, revise, design and/or establish staff recruitment, transfer, and promotion procedures;
- Propose job descriptions, job grades and benefit package (salary scale and other benefits);
- Develop Performance Review systems
- Review office Rules, Regulations and Procedures for employees
- Develop Anti Fraud and conflict of interest guidelines for staff
- Assess current market and propose logistical systems, including daily subsistence allowances, for the operation and implementation of its activities.
Methodologies for the Task
- The consultant will use both primary and secondary sources of data
- Desk review of materials related to Citizen election observation
- Key informant Interview with relevant stakeholders (Board member, member CSOs, Secretariat, International Partners and others)
Subject to discussion with CECOE, the consultant is expected to deliver the following;
- Prepare and submit a draft inception report with a detailed work plan (prior to submitting inception report, consultant will meet with CECOE to discuss terms of reference and expectations)
- Revise and submit inception report per the feedback provided
- Submit and present draft reviewed/updated, where appropriate, appropriate manual, and accompanying operationalizing documents to CECOE
- Submit final documents that operationalize organizational systems by incorporating feedbacks forwarded
The duration of the consultancy is a total of 15 working days running from June 20, 2022. The consultant is required to submit the final draft of the report by July 22, 2022.
- Ten years of experience in development and operationalization of organizational systems
- Demonstrable professional experience in conducting organizational capacity assessment to network-based organizations which are member-led;
- The Key Person responsible for the review must possess a relevant professional qualification in Organizational Management preferably from the Master degree level; and demonstrate evidence of performing similar work.
- Understanding of Ethiopian labor laws and organizational code of conducts;
- Procurement rules and internationally accepted best practices and standards
- Previous proven work experience with Local CSOs to similar assignment;
How to Apply
Interested consultants should send the following documents in a sealed envelope, clearly marked “Consultancy for Operationalizing CECOE’s Organizational Systems” and it should reach CECOE office Angola Street, International Leadership Institute Bld, 2nd floor, before 5:00 pm June 15, 2022.,
Phone number: 0118111459 and 0118111455,
Email : email@example.com
The following documents are to be submitted:
- Expression of Interest and financial proposal for this assignment
- CV of staff who will be engaged for this assignment reflecting at least the academic qualification, previous relevant experience, contact number, current location etc.
- Documented evidence e.g. copy of manuals/SoPs previously developed, contract award or reference letter from the clients stating scope of services and deliverables related to previously completed similar assignments or consultancy works. (Maximum two previous related documents/sample);
- Registration certificate of the Consultancy Firm and renewed license
- TIN number of the Consultancy Firm.