Deadline: Jul 1, 2022
Terms of Reference (ToR)
Consultancy for Review and Update of CECOE’s Strategic Plan to inform Programmatic and Organizational Structure
The Coalition of Ethiopian Civil Society Organizations for Elections (CECOE) is a coalition of over 175 local civil society organizations working on democracy and elections across the nation. With member organizations in all regional states and city administrations, CECOE was established in 2019 in an effort to facilitate the role of civil society organizations (CSOs) in the Sixth National and Regional Elections of Ethiopia. Since then, the Coalition has carried out seminal observation activities, including pre-election, election day, and post-election observation exercises during the June and September voting cycles of the sixth round of Ethiopian elections and the Southwest Referendum in 2021. Furthermore, the Coalition has also deployed observers during the Sidama referendum that was held in 2019. In addition to this, CECOE has also carried out voter education activities through its I-Vote campaign and monitored the media landscape for the entirety of the Sixth National and Regional Elections through its Media Monitoring Unit ( MMU).
Ahead of undertaking these seminal observation exercises, and as part of its formation, CECOE developed its 3-year strategic plan in 2019 that governed its activities. During its election observation engagement, CECOE has organized its regional structures into Regional Focal Persons and Zonal Coordinators that played significant roles in broadening its national presence. CECOE is now turning its focus to post-electoral activities which requires updating the existing strategic plan and devising programmatic and operational structures.
For this purpose, CECOE seeks a consultancy service with relevant experience in the civil society field of democracy and political governance, particularly elections, and in organizational development to operationalize its programmatic/thematic objectives.
The current CECOE’s strategic plan has been in operation for three years. Against the background of operationalizing it during the past three years, and in the period of 2021 elections, the overall purpose of the consultancy service is to review the plan against performance, draw lessons and informed by current political, and democratic governance developments in the country, revise/update the plan to enable CECOE pursue its vision and mission of contributing to mobilizing and solidifying Ethiopian CSOs participation in democratic governance, especially during elections. The review and updating of the strategic plan must fit into existing democratic and election governance realities, in particular the political, economic, social and environmental challenges, and in addition to devising programmatic/thematic contents, propose an effective and efficient operational (federal and regional) structures that are compatible with CECOE’s current and future project demands. It is expected that the new/revised/updated strategic plan will position CECOE and enable it to become the foremost citizens election observer group in Ethiopia, in line with its mandate, context and comparative advantage, and also build sub-regional, regional and international relationships with like-minded civic groups.
Specific Tasks to be undertaken by the Consultant
The selected consultant will:
- Assess/review the design and effectiveness of the already existing strategic plan from both programmatic/thematic perspectives, and based on the review update/propose new programmatic areas, where necessary, to inform CECOE’s democratic and electoral support activities.
- Make recommendations of mechanisms in which CECOE can enhance its regional and zonal presence, relationship between national and regional structures and the modalities in which it will engage with its member organizations at the regional level through regional structures
- Serve as lead resource persons in three (3) consultation workshops in selected regions to gather additional inputs (using draft report ) from various stakeholders to finalize the new/revised/updated strategic plan
- Serve as lead resource person at one (1) validation workshop at Addis Ababa to familiarize CECOE leadership and key stakeholders with the new strategic document and proposed operational structures
- Produce an updated/revised 2023 – 2027 Strategic Plan for CECOE
Methodology for the Tasks
- The consultant will use both primary and secondary sources of data
- Desk review of materials related to citizen election observation
- Key informant interview with relevant stakeholders (Board members, member CSOs, Secretariat, International Partners and others)
- Prepare and submit a draft inception report with a detailed work plan
- Revise and submit inception report per the comments provided
- Submit and present highlights of the of a draft revised/updated strategic plan for review/comments
- Based on the approved strategic plan and CECOE’s regional membership base the consultant will design and propose regional structures
- Lead 3 consultation workshops in Hawassa, Addis Ababa and Bahirdar to collect inputs from CECOE member organizations and 1 validation workshop
- Incorporate relevant feedback/comments on the draft report from the consultation workshops, and validation workshop and submit a final report/strategic plan (2023-2027)
The duration of the consultancy is a total of 25 working days running from June 20, 2022. The consultant is required to submit the final draft of the report by July 22, 2022
Skills and Competencies
- Ten years of experience in organizational development and strategic planning management.
- Demonstrable professional experience in conducting organizational capacity assessment for network-based organizations which are member-led;
- The Key Person responsible for the review must possess a relevant professional qualification in Organizational Management preferably from the Master’s degree level; and demonstrate evidence of performing similar work.
- An understanding of the administrative and geographic structures of Ethiopia
- Previous proven work experience with local CSOs to asimilar assignment.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should submit their technical and financial proposals in a sealed envelope clearly marked “Consultancy for Review and Update of CECOE’s Strategic Plan”.
Applicants are expected to bring the aforementioned application documents in person to the Coalition’s office before 15 June 2022.
Address: Angola Street, International Leadership Institute Building, 2nd Floor, Office No. 210, Phone number: 0118111459 and 0118111455, Email : email@example.com
Additional documents to be submitted:
- Expression of Interest and financial proposal for this assignment
- CV of staff who will be engaged for this assignment reflecting at least the academic qualification, previous relevant experience, contact number, current location etc.
- Registration certificate of the consultancy firm and renewed license
- TIN number of the consultancy firm.