Title: Team Leader-Youth and Legal
Location: Dima, Ethiopia
Employment Category: G
Reporting To: Protection Manager
Start of Contract & Duration: Two months
Posting date: September 25, 2021
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), an international non-governmental organization (NGO), has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. DRC promotes and supports solutions to the problems faced by refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs), and migrants. The organization has offices across the region, and has been operational in Ethiopia since 2009. With funding from bilateral and multilateral donors, DRC is currently implementing a range of activities across Ethiopia and Djibouti, including WASH and shelter provision, child and youth protection, Gender based violence response, awareness-raising of migration risks, protection monitoring of migration routes, and livelihoods support for returning migrants or those at-risk of migration.
OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
Working under the direct management of the Protection Manager, the Youth & Legal aid Team Leader will be responsible for contributing to the technical supervision and implementation of DRC’s youth and legal aid supports in Okugo refugee camp in Dimma. The Team Leader will be responsible for the day to day management of youth and legal activities both in center based and in community levels as well as supervise youth officer and assistant. Team leader- Youth and legal will collaborate with CP and GBV protection team, with other departments in DRC and implementing and monitoring agents in Okugo refugee camp. Furthermore, the Team Leader is expected to provide support to the project cycle management, proposal development and program strategy.
- Coordinate youth and legal aid support activities both in center and community levels.
- Ensure the proper implementation of capacity building trainings to refugee community structures and concerned partners both in youth empowerment and legal aid support trainings.
- Provide close follow up and monitoring for outdoor and indoor recreational and skill building activities.
- Strengthen social cohesion through youth engagement activities in the refugee camp and in the host community as well.
- Assess the needs for justice in Okugo refugee camp and ensure the service provision with proper linkages.
- Ensure proper implementation of Legal aid support services focused on legal counselling, legal assistant, legal representation and financial legal assistance activities.
- Contribute on enhancing customary dispute resolution techniques for and between refugees and host communities including conflict management, mediation, negotiation and reconciliation.
- Create strong collaboration with nearby universities law faculties to work together on legal aid support services in Okugo refugee camp and surrounding host communities.
- Strengthen traditional court systems in collaboration with refugee RCC, ‘Shurta’, religious leaders and with monitoring agents.
- Ensure all component of the action adhere to protection standards and principles as well DRC guidelines and accountability standard.
Experience and Technical Competencies: (include years of experience)
- BA degree in Psychology, Law, Sociology, social work, social sciences or other related fields
- Previous 3 years of experience working with youth, women and vulnerable children and adolescents- preferable in refugee settings.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to communicate with empathy and respect
- Good communication skills and ability to conduct training on Youth empowerment and legal aid support and related issues.
- Demonstrated understanding of gender, protection, and human rights
Education (include certificates, licenses etc.):
- Minimum university degree in Psychology, Law, sociology, social work and related fields.
- Preferred: previous experience on youth empowerment and legal aid supports.
Languages: (indicate fluency level)
- Excellent verbal and written proficiency in Amharic and English;
- Proficiency in local languages, such as Anuak or Murle will be an advantage
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
- Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: Acting in line with DRC’s vision and values
How to Apply
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.ngo under Vacancies.
Please forward the application and CV, in English through the stated website no later than October 08, 2021.
For general information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult www.drc.ngo
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, colour, race, marital status or other protected characteristics
We encourage only qualified Ethiopian Nationals to apply. DRC considers all applicants based on merit.