EXTERNAL VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organization whose exclusively humanitarian mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of armed conflict and other situations of violence and to provide them with assistance.
For more information, visit the website: https://www.icrc.org/
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) Delegation in Ethiopia is looking to hire an experienced, highly motivated, and qualified person to fill:
Position: Social Inclusion Officer 2 (Social Worker 2)
Duration of Contract: Open – ended contract
Location: Addis Ababa
Date of Issue: 13.10.2021
Deadline for applications: 23.10.2021
**Persons with disabilities are highly encouraged to apply**
To ensure the work of the Physical Rehabilitation Project (PRP) department is managed efficiently and effectively in line with an established guideline. You will need to be an enthusiastic, flexible, committed, and resourceful colleague who can support the Manager to lead the team. The successful candidate will need to deliver to a high standard, be resilient, and have a positive “can-do” attitude
GENERAL ICRC DUTIES
- Understands and adheres to the seven Fundamental Principles of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement
- Understands and adheres to the ICRC Code of Conduct
- Understands the roles of the components of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement
- Respects and observes staff regulations and security rules at all times
- Represents the ICRC in a professional manner at all times
- Develops and maintains a pleasant and conducive working environment with colleagues and line managers
- Performs all duties with the highest level of confidentiality in the interest of the employees and the ICRC
- May be asked to perform tasks not covered in this job description and to provide support to other departments when necessary
ACCOUNTABILITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Principal responsibilities
- Supports coordinating the PRP social inclusion activities on a national level to safeguard coherent and relevant approach, proposes adjustments in the program and contributes in the development of new objectives.
- Takes over gradually the responsibilities of being the ICRC focal person for all PRP’s social inclusion activities, whether related to sport, job acquisition or access to education. Communicates with the relevant authorities, Organizations of Persons with Disabilities (OPD), Sport association, universities and regional bodies effectively.
- Under the supervision of the physical rehabilitation team leader, conducts the social inclusion activities with all its constituents in the seven-governmental supported physical rehabilitation centers (PRCs) and in cooperation with our partners.
- Manages the ICRC wheelchair basketball project, and its related trainings, tournaments and partnerships in the entire country.
2. Main tasks
Advises on social inclusion
- Participates in all internal and external meetings related to social inclusion of persons with disabilities in the framework of ICRC activities.
- Represents the PRP toward interlocutors and relevant authorities related to this activity.
- Together with the PR team leader and the PRP manager, supports the ICRC delegation in its disability inclusion approaches, e.g. updating communication tools, adjustments of programs and internal organizational processes.
Develops social inclusion in PRCs
- Travels as needed to the assisted PRCs e.g. Arba Minch, Assela, Assosa, Bahir Dar, Dessie, Jigjiga and Nekemte.
- Identifies and maps social inclusion/service access networks; conducts stakeholder analyses and keeps regular contact with relevant organizations.
- Data collection on social inclusion, ensures appropriate management of data/information collected and produces the respective reports.
- Recognizes opportunities with PRCs for social inclusion activities taking in consideration local constraints and other initiatives and projects.
- Participates/conducts in workshops/training related to access to services for vulnerable groups, inclusion for people with disabilities, integration into the community for victims of violence, and other relevant subjects.
- Participates as team member in the monitoring and evaluation tasks carried out in all assisted PRCs, e.g. technical visits, beneficiaries feedback & technical assessment exercises.
Leads the PRP wheelchair services (gradual handover from her/his colleague);
- Support the Ethiopian wheelchair basketball association in organization of national tournament and trainings.
- Identify the need for basketball wheelchair and spare part need of the regions together with the Ethiopian Wheelchair basketball association.
- Prepare PRP annual order for sport equipment’s as per of budget;
- Supports the Ethiopian wheelchair basketball association and regional teams in finding potential sponsors.
- Initiates links between PRCs and wheelchair project e.g. roles of athletes in the PRCs, facilitate sport activities in the PRCs, etc.
- Follows up on all work-related messages and correspondence with the relevant contacts and departments.
- Is aware of the delegation’s objectives and has a good knowledge of the Movement and other contracts relevant to the position.
- Collects and shares information so as to improve the ICRC’s understanding of the environment and humanitarian trends and responses.
- Takes responsibility for their own professional learning and development.
- Experience in communicating and working with a wide range of people, including people of culturally diverse backgrounds.
ICRC Remuneration and Social Benefits: We offer
- By joining our organization, you will have an opportunity to practice your profession in stimulating, complex, and sometimes challenging environments, where your work can make a difference.
- You will work with colleagues from various fields of expertise in a cross-cutting manner to help victims of conflict and other situations of violence. You will be dealing with humanitarian situations that require experience, resourcefulness, and innovation to achieve the best possible impact.
- You will work for the oldest major international humanitarian organization in the world, adding to your sense of achievement in alleviating the suffering of people and communities and giving you the chance to promote humanitarian values in these turbulent times.
- You will benefit from a competitive employment package, including different possibilities for career and personal development. You will take part in an onboarding course and follow continuous training, to build your career within the ICRC and beyond.
- The competitive compensation package, a monthly salary with benefits including (13th salary, end of service indemnity, and medical coverage).
- BA in sociology, psychology, social anthropology or special needs.
- 2 years experiences in social inclusion programs and disability advocacy.
- Very good command of spoken & written English and Amharic.
- Good computer skills.
- Self-starter, sense of responsibility and organization.
- Capacity to work independently, resistant to stressful situations.
- Team spirit. Willingness to learn.
- High sense of confidentiality.
- Rigorous and trustful person.
How to Apply
Interested candidates can submit application & CV with copies of relevant documents in person to the ICRC Delegation in Addis Ababa (Around Megenagna, in front of EIAR, around Egziabher ab church OR , send to the ICRC Delegation Addis Ababa, Human Resources Department, P.O.Box 5701, Addis Ababa).
- Updated Curriculum Vitae.
- A cover letter stating why you think you have the necessary skills and qualifications.
- Salary expectations.
As ICRC, we are convinced that diversity makes us better at what we do: it enables us to form close relationships with wide-ranging communities and develop the best solutions for the people we work with. We make a conscious effort to have diverse teams with regards to age, disability, race, ethnicity, religion, and sexual orientation and particularly in terms of gender as women make up a high percentage of our staff and are encouraged to apply.
The successful candidate will submit to 60 working days as a probation period.
NB: If you have not heard from us within a month of receiving your application, please consider your application unsuccessful.