Open to Internal & External Candidates
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal & External candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Chief of Mission, the Senior Executive Assistant will assist in managing the overall functions of the office of the Chief of Mission. The Senior Executive Assistant works in close collaboration with IOM staff, relevant staff in UN Agencies, Donors, Embassies, African Union Commission, UNECA and the host Government authorities to ensure efficient flow of information and related document handling tasks.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
1. Manage all in-coming/outgoing correspondence; draft/review outgoing mail and arrange dispatch of the same; and receive/handle the CoM’s phone calls (in-coming/out-going) as well as the CoM’s visitors.
2. Set appointments for the CoM and manage his/her diary. Keep the CoM informed of her/his daily schedule and review the same with him/her on a regular basis.
3. Manage the CoM’s travel arrangements in coordination with relevant units; including flight booking, hotel booking, expense claims and following up to ensure, necessary visas, security clearances and inoculations are obtained.
4. Coordinate with different departments in the mission and ensure COM’s Quarterly travel plans are prepared and communicated to relevant bodies on a timely basis.
5. Follow-up the timely progression of SES activities with all direct supervisees of COM and set-up meetings as necessary.
6. Follow up with units to ensure the timely submission of meeting/briefing notes and background documents ahead of COM’s meeting. And assist in developing the briefing materials for COM’s meetings and missions.
7. Coordinate all internal staff meetings by making monthly/weekly schedules as necessary, sending out notices and follow up to ensure participation of the relevant staff. Assist in following up action points discussed at the meetings. Organize for the meetings and take notes/minutes when required.
8. Keep track of senior level external and inter-agency meetings and coordinate with relevant units to ensure IOM’s participation, with close follow-up with the meeting organizers. Ensure person attending the meeting provides Notes for File.
9. Maintain updated database of profiles of UN agencies, high-level partners and donors, with their detailed address including email and telephone lists.
10. Review and comment on correspondences and documents before the submission of COM’s signature and make follow-up when required.
11. Process sensitive data and handle all correspondence and dictation with uncompromised integrity and confidentiality.
12. Identify and resolve diverse issues as they arise and determine appropriate action.
13. Coordinate extensively with other units in the mission, the RO and the HQ and other offices as needed.
14. Coordinate with different missions to organize scheduled visits to SLO Addis for conferences, meetings, trainings, and TDYs etc.
15. Facilitate Visa letters, Re-entry Passes, MFA cards, Dependants Permits, Airport Passes, custom clearance, UN Ground Pass and other documentation requested by relevant units.
16. Manage and monitor all purchases for the CoM Office. Process all purchase requisitions and follow up with procurement to ensure timely delivery.
17. Plan and organize SLO Addis hospitality events such as working lunches, cocktails, and dinners organized by the CoM in coordination with respective departments.
18. Manage and follow up the settlement of different bills monthly; and oversee the general cleanliness and maintenance of the CoM office.
19. Support with informal translations of letters, documents, articles, etc.
20. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
University Degree in Secretarial science and office management or related social science field;
· At least 7 years of relevant professional working experience with Bachelors Degree or 5 years with Masters
· Practical experience in secretarial, administrative and/or programmatic areas is required
· Experience with UN Agencies/ NGOs / International Organizations is highly desirable,
· High level of interpersonal, communication, time management, and negotiation skills; commitment, efficiency, flexibility, drive for results,
· Ability to write clearly and effectively, adapting wording and style to the intended audience
· Demonstrated ability of working effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds to achieve desired goals.
· Clearly communicates, and listens to feedback on, changing priorities and procedures
· Experience in using Microsoft Office packages – (Outlook, Word, Word, Access and Excel) and
· Strong work ethics and ability to meet deadlines.
· Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel),
. Experience in handling of web-based management systems.
· Thorough knowledge of spoken and written English is required
· Knowledge of local and other UN working languages is advantageous
VALUES AND COMPETENCIES
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
· Inclusion & respect for diversity: Respects and promotes individual and cultural differences. Encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
· Integrity & transparency: Maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
· Professionalism: Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
· Teamwork: Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
· Delivering results: Produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner. Is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
· Managing and sharing knowledge: Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
· Accountability: Takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
· Communication: Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication. Explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: work strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application/ motivation letter enclosed with only detail CV written in English via our e-mail address RECADDIS@IOM.INT by September 10, 2021, the latest, referring the position title, Vacancy number and the duty station in the subject line of your email. (Application for Senior Executive Assistant to Chief of Mission (CoM), IOM-VN/0124/21, Addis Ababa). No photocopies of educational/training certificates is required at this stage; applicant who doesn`t follow the required application procedure will automatically be disqualified from the competition.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
We strongly encourage qualified women to apply!