Summary of the role: The Center for Innovative Drug Development and Therapeutic Trials for Africa (CDT-Africa) is a World Bank supported center of excellence for education and research at the College of Health Sciences, Addis Ababa University, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. The main aim of CDT-Africa is to serve as a platform for equitable access to interventions (medicines, vaccines, diagnostics and complex interventions) and bring about sustainable development in Africa through high-quality capacity development for innovative therapeutic discovery.
As part of these efforts, CDT-Africa is looking for a qualified Senior Center Manager.
Main Duties and responsibilities
- Under the supervision of the Center Leader, the senior center manager will;
- Become thoroughly knowledgeable on all aspects of the ACEII project.
- Support the high level visions of CDT-Africa.
- Engage with Ministerial offices to facilitate implementation and uptake.
- Achieves operational objectives by contributing information & recommendations to the strategic plans & reviews; preparing & completing action plans. Implementing production, productivity, quality & customer service standards, resolving problems; completing audits; identifying trends; determining system improvements; implementing change.
- In close consultation with the head, manage human resource consisting of organizations planning, project team acquisitions and staff development activities.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications, maintaining personal networks, participating in professional organizations.
- Manage risk consisting of risk management planning, risk identification, risk quantitative & qualitative analysis, response planning, monitoring & control activities.
- Enhance the center’s reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new & different requests exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
- Manage national, regional & international academic , government & private sector partners
- Manage communication consisting of communications planning, information distribution, progress and performance reporting & stakeholder communications management activities.
- Establish, maintain & manage communications among all parties involved in the project coordination implementation.
- Prepare semi-annual & annual reports in collaboration with the scientific coordinator.
- Supervise other support personnel.
- Support resource mobilization.
- Coordinate marketing of the center; monitoring & evaluation of activities.
- Coordinate international collaborations & assist in developing new partnership projects.
- Convene national, regional & international conferences.
- Assist the center lead in future human resource development planning.
- Ensure effective coordination between & among individual research project teams.
- Convene meeting of the project management steering committee & international scientific advisory committee & monitor progress of recommendations made.
- Oversee all financial & administrative issues.
- Liaise with the ACE II regional facilitation unit & World Bank office in Ethiopia.
- Manage quality consisting of quality planning, quality assurance & quality control activities.
- Taking part in any other duties which may be deemed necessary by the lead & management due to the expansion, development & diversification of activities with CDT Program.
- Engage in other activities as directed by the Center Head.
Terms and conditions
- Hours of Work: Are governed by the laws of Ethiopia. However, the nature of the work is such that it might require working overtime and weekends, with due financial compensation.
- Holidays: Are governed by the rules of Addis Ababa University for project workers.
- Length of Contract: This is a four year post subject to six monthly contract renewal.
- Probationary Period and Notice Period: There is a three-month probationary period for this role. The notice period is one month.
Reports to: CDT-Africa Center Head
Qualification and requirements
- Experience in similar centers or responsibilities is more important than specific qualifications. However the candidate is expected to have at least a master’s degree in an appropriate field (e.g. Public Health, Medical Degree, Communications, English literature, marketing, International Development) or any other related field.
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience.
How to Apply
Application should be submitted with a short CV (maximum length 4 pages) and a covering letter (maximum 2 pages) to the Human Resources Department of the College of Health Sciences (Addis Ababa University): HR Department, The Human Resources Office, 1st Floor, College of Health Sciences Building, College of Health Sciences, Addis Ababa University, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. The covering letter should describe how you meet the requirements for the position and why you want the job.
The recruitment will involve a written exam and interview. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.