Stichting Wageningen Research (SWR) is an international NGO registered in Ethiopia since March 2021 with the FDRE Agency for Civil Society Organizations. The organization is established with the objectives of promoting a more resilient, inclusive and sustainable food systems in Ethiopia. One of the projects implemented by SWR is Ethiopia-Netherlands Seed Partnership (ENSP).
The Ethiopia-Netherlands Seed Partnership (ENSP)
You will implement planned activities that increase selected seed businesses’ access to finance and further strengthen their capacities for seed business management with the intended outcome of doubling their production, both in terms of value and diversity of products in their portfolio. You will do this in support of the Partnership’s overall mission to enable the private sector in Ethiopia to deliver farming men and women high quality seed of improved varieties much needed for food security and nutrition, and climate resilience. The Partnership is development cooperation between Ethiopia and the Netherlands, implemented by a consortium of the Ethiopian Seed Association in Ethiopia, and Plantum and Wageningen University & Research in the Netherlands.
We are looking for
A seasoned professional or entrepreneur in agribusiness with the know-how for turning farming into a profitable enterprise. If you have more than seven years’ experience either in managing a successful agribusiness or as an adviser in business development services, and the knowledge and skills required to raise and effectively manage financial capital, then we welcome your application. The Business Management Expert will serve as a coach to selected seed businesses throughout Ethiopia, and should be willing and able to travel to their locations to train, supervise and monitor their staff in conducting improved practices of business management and marketing.
- Strengthens the capacities of selected seed businesses in seed business management
- Advises seed businesses in their development of improved business models, multi-annual strategic plans, and production-, finance- and marketing-strategies
- Facilitates training on relevant topics including financial management and marketing
- Identifies seed businesses’ capacity needs and develops training curricula/programmes
- Coaches seed businesses in the day-to-day implementation of improved business practices
- Monitors and evaluates the performance of selected seed businesses and facilitates learning
- Helps seed businesses secure their access to finance for investment and working capital
- Supports seed businesses in their successful management of finance
- Works with financial institutes on the development of financial products for seed businesses
- Maintains strong relationships with financial institutes and improves their knowledge of the risks and rewards of seed business
- Establishes financial risk mitigating measures
- Builds relationships between seed businesses and other important inputs and services
- Generates, documents and shares insights on business management in knowledge products
- Improves women’s access to financial services, entrepreneurship opportunities, managerial and leadership roles, and life-long learning in seed business
What we offer
Depending on candidate’s education and work experience, we offer a competitive salary as per the organization scale which is negotiable within the range of the salary scale assigned for the position. We also offer other benefit packages as per the internal HR manual.
Project: Ethiopia-Netherlands Seed Partnership (ENSP)
Duration: Four years, subject to annual renewal based on performance
Reports to: ENSP Project Manager
What we ask
A strategic, adaptive and reflexive leader in growing seed businesses is needed for the position. S/he will do this for learning, with seed businesses and their partners, whether things are being done right, and whether the right things are being done. The Business Management Expert should be inspired to double the volumes, value and diversity of selected seed businesses’ products, and inspire those businesses to achieve that same goal. Given that we will select already established producers of quality seed, attention will be given to business administration, access to finance, financial management and marketing as opposed to the techniques of agronomy, so s/he should be knowledgeable in those aspects of the business. The business of seed requires unique knowledge of the reproductive biology of different crops and its implications on the production, marketing and use of seed that is not necessarily obtained working in different agribusiness enterprises. Therefore, a background in seed business is advantageous, but not prerequisite.
- MSc/MBA/MA in economics, agricultural economics, agri-business, business management and related subject
- At least 7 years’ experience working in a related function or as a successful entrepreneur
- Fluency in spoken and written English and Amharic
- Energetic, enthusiastic and hands-on attitude, and a valuable social network
- Strong background in agribusiness
- Proficiency in MS Word, MS Excel and MS PowerPoint
How to Apply
Interested candidates who meet the above criteria are invited to apply by sending a motivation letter with updated CV by email at info.SWREthiopia@gmail.com starting from the date of announcement. Please include the position title of the application in the subject line.
Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted!