Vacancy Announcement for
A Sector Expert on Agricultural Finance
Stichting Wageningen Research (SWR) is an international NGO registered in Ethiopia since March 2021 with the FDRE Agency for Civil Society Organizations. The organization is established with the objectives of promoting a more resilient, inclusive and sustainable food systems in Ethiopia. One of the projects implemented by SWR is Resilient Agriculture for Inclusive and Sustainable Ethiopian Food Systems (RAISE FS).
RAISE FS project is a four year research for development program with a mission to leverage transformation in Ethiopian food systems covering the continuum from food insecure to the better –endowed households and regions in effort of realizing production surpluses, commodity commercialization, and food and nutritional security in a sustainable manner. The project will be implemented in partnership with the Federal MoA, regional BoA, Agricultural Research Institutes and universities.
We are looking for a Sector Expert with extensive experience in agricultural financing at various levels of the value chain. The Sector Expert under the supervision of the Senior Sector Expert will also be responsible for conducting value chain analysis of priority commodities of RAISE-FS and identify gaps slowing the efficient functioning of these value chains as well as the national food systems. The sector expert is expected to pay special attention to addressing the challenge of access to finance and facilitating the coordination of financial institutions with value chain actors as well as piloting various models that could address the issue. Over all, the sector expert is expected to facilitate collaboration among sector actors, support pilots and validations of innovations, report and document findings and progress as well as contribute to the communication of project documents to the wider stakeholders for sharing of lessons and up scaling.
- Analyse technical and policy issues, strategies and models on agricultural and agribusiness financing to support the development, competitiveness, inclusiveness and improved impacts of agribusinesses, food systems and value chain development
- Coordinate stakeholder platform meetings to address the issues of access to finance, insurance and other sector hindrances at federal and regional level in coordination with the regional partners
- Facilitate linkage/cooperation models between supply chain actors and financial institutions at the federal and regional level in coordination with regional partners
- Solicit partnership potentials for validation of innovations and scale-up of best practices developed/validated by RAISE-FS
- Support regional partners in policy agenda documentation, cross-check between regions and upscale to federal level
- Support harmonization of innovations and pilots between regional partners as well as institutions at federal and regional level
- Under the supervision of the senior sector expert support regular communication of validated sector development innovations to scaling-up partners
- Contribute to the development of sector documents, analysis, report, guidelines, modules, policy briefs and others related to agriculture, agribusiness, agri-financing and food system development in relation to the priority commodities
- Participate in the data collection and documentation of lessons, innovations and findings within the RAISE-FS documentation portal and
- Perform other project activities as needed
What we offer
- Depending on candidate’s education and work experience, we offer a competitive salary as per the organization scale which is negotiable within the range of the salary scale assigned for the position. We also offer other benefit packages as per the internal HR manual.
Project: Resilient Agriculture for Inclusive and Sustainable Ethiopian Food Systems (RAISE-FS)
Duration: Four years, subject to annual renewal based on performance
Reports to: Senior Sector Expert
The kind of person we are looking for
- A Sector Expert with proven track record in agricultural financing, value chain actors’ support and stakeholders’ linkage facilitation. S/he has experience working on different value chains, especially on: pulse, oilseeds, poultry, spices and/or potato in Ethiopia. S/he also has considerable experience working with multiple stakeholders, including microfinance institutes, banks, and other financial institutions as well as cooperatives, unions, private sector and regional and federal public offices. Experience in organizing and facilitating multi-stakeholder platform meetings, workshops and trainings is also a skill we look for in a sector expert.
Education, Knowledge, and Skills Required
- Minimum Master’s degree in Agricultural Economics, Economics, Business administration or related
- Minimum of 5 years practical experience in agri-financing, business, agribusiness support and stakeholders linkage facilitation
- Excellent communication and report writing skills and a demonstrated track record of working effectively in a team and
- Fluency in English and one or more local languages
How to Apply
Interested candidates who meet the above criteria are invited to apply by sending a motivation letter with updated CV by email at info.SWREthiopia@gmail.com within 10 working days starting from the date of announcement. Please include the position title of the application in the subject line.
Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted!