The center for innovative Drug Development and Therapeutic Trials for Africa (CDT-Africa) is a World Bank supported African Center of Excellence hosted in the College of Health Sciences of Addis Ababa University. The main objective of CDT-Africa is to support equitable access to interventions (Medications, diagnostics, and other interventions) and bring about sustainable development in Africa through high quality capacity development for innovative drug and therapeutic discoveries.
As part of this effort, CDT-Africa would like to hire an experienced research co-ordinator who can co-ordinate CDT-Africa projects. The research co-ordinator would be linked to the SPARK project (SuPporting African communities to increase the Resilience and mental health of Kids with developmental disorders and their caregivers). SPARK is a cluster randomized controlled trial of the WHO Caregiver Skills Training programme for children with developmental disorders. SPARK will be working across the Gurage Zone and in Addis Ababa.
The Role of the Research Co-ordinator
The successful applicant will be responsible for the operational running of CDT-Africa projects, with particular responsibility for SPARK, under the guidance of CDT-Africa Center Lead and study investigators and project co-ordinators.
- Work closely with project investigators and co-ordinators to plan and co-ordinate study activities.
- Prepare for field activities, including planning staff activities, utilisation of cars and financial resources.
- At least weekly field trips, with potential for longer periods in the field as needed.
- Line management of research co-ordinators, research assistants, field co-ordinators, data collectors and other field staff.
- Work closely with the data manager to ensure implementation of all standardised operating procedures for quality data collection and management.
- Liaise with local stakeholders to support engagement in the studies.
- Conduct qualitative data collection and analysis.
- Clean and analyse quantitative data.
- Lead the drafting of manuscripts for peer-reviewed publication.
- Involvement in research dissemination activities.
- Additional tasks as directed by the Head of the Center or study investigators.
Terms and conditions
- Salary: Negotiable depending on qualifications and experience.
- Hours of Work: Are governed by the laws of Ethiopia. However, the nature of the work is such that it might require working overtime and weekends, with due financial compensation.
- Holidays: Are governed by the rules of Addis Ababa University for project workers.
- Length of Contract: This is a 3 year post subject to six monthly contract renewal.
- Probationary Period and Notice Period: There is a three-month probationary period for this role. The notice period is one month.
No. required: One
Terms of employment: Full-time, 3 year post subject to six monthly contract renewal
Reports to: CDT-Africa Center Lead
- MSc in health-related or social science-related field, with thesis.
- At least 3 years of experience working at least at the level of a research coordinator or above.
- Knowledge of health research essential.
- Experience working in the areas of developmental disorders or disability is an advantage.
- Experience working in trials or other intervention studies an advantage.
- Willingness to travel to the field and stay in the field, as needed, is essential.
- Experience in working with international collaborators.
- Discretion and ability to handle confidential and sensitive information.
- Experience with both qualitative and quantitative research methods and analysis.
- Strong computer program literacy and knowledge.
- Strong administrative and organizational skills.
- Well organized.
- A high level of attention to detail.
- Ability to work with others, including international collaborators
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
How to Apply
- Application should be submitted with a short CV (maximum length 4 pages) and a covering letter (maximum 2 pages) to the Human Resources Department of the College of Health Sciences (Addis Ababa University): HR Department, The Human Resources Office, 1st Floor, College of Health Sciences Building, College of Health Sciences, Addis Ababa University, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. The covering letter should describe how you meet the requirements for the position and why you want the job.
- The recruitment will involve a written exam and interview. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Application deadline is 01,2021 until 5:00pm