Main Purpose of Job
Johns Hopkins Center for Communication Programs (CCP) implements multiple projects focusing on promoting priority health behaviors on malaria; RMNCH; Nutrition; FP; and Zoonotic diseases risk communication. CCP has recently obtained grant from Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF) to undertake implementation research to achieve: to generate cost-effective, scalable and sustainable strategies, to increase uptake and adherence to IFA/MMS among pregnant women aged 15-49 years and adolescent girls aged 10-19 years in rural areas and to generate implementation evidence on how to deliver those strategies at scale in Ethiopia. The project will be implemented in eight selected woredas of Amhara and SNNP regions for three years.
The BMGF Qualitative Researcher will work under the guidance of BMGF Project Director. His/her main objective is to lead the design and implementation of qualitative research activities and formative assessments for the implementation research project.
Qualitative Researcher Duties and Responsibilities
- Support design and implementation of formative assessments using Human Centered Design (HCD), and other innovative qualitative methods.
- Facilitate material pretest and gather audience feedbacks
- Collect most significant change stories
- Assist in preparing research protocols
- Train moderators in qualitative data collection
- Assess data quality for qualitative research studies
- Conduct qualitative data analysis and report write up activities
- Manage of transcription and translation of qualitative interviews
- Conduct project monitoring- supportive supervision, review meetings, and surveillance activities
- Provide technical support to other research studies in design, analysis, and dissemination
- Ensure timely completion of research projects in accordance with overall project goals and timeline
- Assist in maintenance of data quality
- Provide support to implementation team, as necessary,
- Carry out other technical or program tasks as assigned by the supervisor.
Reports To: BMGF Project Director
Duration of Employment: 1 year with possible extension
Required no. 1 (one)
Location of position: Addis Ababa with frequent field trip to project sites
Knowledge, skills and experience required
- Master’s degree in Public Health, Nutrition or Social Science fields
- Prior experience in designing and implementation of qualitative researches. Having knowledge on HCD is preferred.
- A minimum of five years’ experience supporting research programs
- Significant NGO experience undertaking field research.
- Familiarity with at least one qualitative data analysis software: Atlas.ti, OpenCode, or Dedoose
- Proficiency in English and other local language
- Ability to facilitate communication between various levels of management and work independently in order to meet deadlines.
- Prior experience with nutrition projects
- Prior qualitative research experience with nutrition projects
How to Apply
Candidates with the required Knowledge, skills proven experiences are invited to submit their CV & application via e-mail, to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than November 8, 2021. Qualified Female applicants are encouraged to apply.
(Only short-listed applicants will be contacted)
Note, use “Qualitative Researcher” as the subject line of your e-mail.