Title: Protection Officer – Legal
Location: Addis Ababa
Reports to: Protection Team Leader
Grade – H1
Number of Positions – 1
Start of Contract & Duration: up to July 15, 2022
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), an international non-governmental organization (NGO), has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. DRC promotes and supports solutions to the problems faced by refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs), and migrants. The organization has offices across the region, and has been operational in Ethiopia since 2009. With funding from bilateral and multilateral donors, DRC is currently implementing a range of activities across Ethiopia including WASH and shelter provision, child and youth protection, gender-based violence response, awareness-raising of migration risks, protection monitoring of migration routes, and livelihoods support for returning migrants or those at-risk of migration.
OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The Protection Officer – Legal, under the supervision of Protection Team leader will undertake protection and legal activities within the project framework. The Protection Officer – Legal will be engaged in the provision of legal aid service including legal information dissemination, counselling, assistance, and facilitation of representation to the target population. In addition, the officer will take on any additional protection activity as required by the Protection Team Leader to meet the project objective.
Programming & Operations
- Develop a work plan for the implementation of activities focusing on Legal service provision within the framework of the project;
- Carry out activities focusing on legal support according to work plan and allocated budget in accordance with international and national laws and regulations;
- Conduct rapid assessment to identify the legal service need and concern of the target population and frame response according to the identified need;
- Conduct information dissemination on the legal rights and procedures with a focus on issues affecting the target population through the mobile protection desk and community outreach;
- Provide guidance to the mobile protection desks on framing key legal information to be shared through the desk;
- Provide legal counselling to the target community through the mobile protection desk;
- Develop and disseminate IEC materials with key messages on legal rights and procedures and available legal and protection services to the target population;
- Facilitate and advocate access to legal documentation for the target community in collaboration with relevant government authorities and humanitarian agencies;
- Facilitate access to Legal aid service in partnership with Addis Ababa university to individuals needing legal representation;
- Implement standardized legal case management procedure;
- Organize capacity building training to government stakeholders and community-based structures on relevant international refugee laws and national laws and procedures;
- Engage with DRC finance, administration, and supply chain team as needed to facilitate implementation of project activity;
- Perform other relevant duties, as needed or requested by Protection Team Leader.
- Prepare and submit progress reports of activities to protection team leader;
- Keep up to date record of legal cases and provide update as needed.
- Liaise and build partnership with community leaders, local authorities, humanitarian organizations operating in the area and other relevant actors to achieve project objective;
- Establish working partnership with Addis Ababa university law faculty – legal aid service;
- Collaborate with DRC country protection program, Ethiopia migration program, and other DRC sectorial programs towards integrated programming;
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Experience and Technical Competencies:
- University Degree in Law
- Minimum 2 years work experience in the legal sector, preferably in a humanitarian context;
- Prior Experience working with persons of concern including refugees, internally displaced and/ or returnees;
- Experience and familiarity with Ethiopia’s judicial system;
- Familiarity with international laws focusing on refugee rights;
- Understanding of protection principles and protection minimum standards;
- High level of personal initiative, analytical and problem-solving skill;
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to develop and maintain working relationships across the organization.
- Commitment to learning and implementing organizational policies and procedures
- Good proficiency in Microsoft Office package.
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.ngo under Vacancies.
Please note that we receive applications up to October 31, 2021.
For general information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult www.drc.ngo.
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, colour, race, marital status or other protected characteristics
DRC’s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP’s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process.
Danish Refugee Council is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive and positive work environment based on mutual respect for all employees. All applicants are considered for employment without attention to race, age, ability, ethnicity, nationality, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other factor. At DRC we celebrate diversity and appreciate our employees for the people they are and their unique skills, backgrounds, and perspectives. We encourage all interested candidates to apply!