Location: Addis Ababa
Reports to: Protection Team Leader
Grade – I1
Number of Positions – 2
Start of Contract & Duration: up to July 15, 2022
Posting date: October 21, 2021
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), an international non-governmental organization (NGO), has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. DRC promotes and supports solutions to the problems faced by refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs), and migrants. The organization has offices across the region, and has been operational in Ethiopia since 2009. With funding from bilateral and multilateral donors, DRC is currently implementing a range of activities across Ethiopia including WASH and shelter provision, child and youth protection, gender-based violence response, awareness-raising of migration risks, protection monitoring of migration routes, and livelihoods support for returning migrants or those at-risk of migration.
OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The Protection Assistant, under the supervision of the Protection Team Leader and the guidance of the protection officer is responsible for the implementation of various protection activities within the project framework. The protection officer will implement the day to day activity of the protection desk and engage in information dissemination and community outreach and referral of individuals with specific need to relevant services. Additionally, the position is expected to contribute to other protection activities that DRC is implementing within the project framework according to capacity and direction from the Protection Team Leader.
Programming & Operations
- Conduct activities under the responsibility of the position according to the protection standard operating procedure and protection best practices;
- Implement the day to day activities of the protection desk;
- Provide relevant information to refugee through the mobile protection desk on their rights, available services, protection risks, and mitigation strategies;
- Facilitate community awareness raising and information sharing session;
- Contribute to IEC material development and dissemination with protection key messages;
- Identify key concerns of the target community and collaborate with protection team to update information and guidance provided through the protection desk;
- Support in identification of vulnerable individuals and referral to relevant services;
- Support in provision of PSS to people of concern through the safe space;
- Engage with community-based structures through conducting regular meetings and following up on action plans;
- Prepare and submit weekly and monthly plans and report on activity under the responsibility of the position to the Protection Team leader;
- Ensure up to date keeping of all data and documents under the responsibility of the position;
- Contribute to monitoring of project activities under the responsibility of the position.
- Represent DRC in engagement with the target community and their representatives, local gov’t structures, humanitarian agencies operating in the target area with the guidance and leadership of the protection Team Leader;
- Collaborate with DRC country protection program, Ethiopia migration program, and other DRC sectorial programs towards synergy and integrated programming.
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Experience and Technical Competencies:
- College Diploma
- Minimum of 1-year experience, with experience in the field of protection in a humanitarian response working for an international NGO, UN agency or relevant ministry or local authority;
- Experience conducting community outreach and information dissemination with a focus on protection and/or a background on protection case management;
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal skill and ability to maintain working relationships across the organization and with stakeholders;
- Integrity, strong work ethic, and ability to consistently meet deadlines under pressure;
- Commitment to learning and implementing organizational policies and procedures;
- Basic understanding of Microsoft Office.
- Proficiency in written and spoken English and Amharic is required
- Proficiency in Tigregna is desired
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.ngo under Vacancies.
Please note that we receive applications up to October 31, 2021.
For general information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult www.drc.ngo.
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, colour, race, marital status or other protected characteristics
DRC’s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP’s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process.
Danish Refugee Council is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive and positive work environment based on mutual respect for all employees. All applicants are considered for employment without attention to race, age, ability, ethnicity, nationality, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other factor. At DRC we celebrate diversity and appreciate our employees for the people they are and their unique skills, backgrounds, and perspectives. We encourage all interested candidates to apply!