Internal/External Job Announcements
Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
For nearly 60 years, CRS has taken the lead in responding to natural and man-made disasters affecting Ethiopia’s most vulnerable communities. Moving beyond emergency response, CRS’ disaster mitigation and recovery projects in drought and flood-prone areas have rebuilt individual and community assets through non-food aid in the form of agriculture, livestock, health, nutrition, and water and sanitation assistance. CRS’s humanitarian work in Ethiopia also provides livelihoods support to farmers and entrepreneurs, promotes gender equality, mobilizes for immunization and mitigates the impact of HIV.
As part of CRS family, you will join the more than 5000 strong and vibrant individuals working globally to accomplish the mission of CRS. CRS/Ethiopia invites you, the qualified candidate, to apply for the following position;
Project Officer – Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) with a focus on Engineering
Indefinite Term contingent upon funding of RFSA program
RFSA WASH Program Manager
November 04, 2021
As a member of the Resilience Food Security Activity (RFSA)/Ifaa project team, you will support, monitor and report on project activities, specifically around water, sanitation and hygiene with a focus on water and sanitation engineering/hardware, in support of Catholic Relief Services’ (CRS) work serving the poor and vulnerable. The overarching goal of this multi-sectoral activity is Improved food security of vulnerable households in targeted Productive Safety Net Program (PSNP) communities, contributing to a sustained reduction in rural poverty in Oromia. Your thorough and service-oriented approach will ensure that the project consistently applies best practices and constantly works towards improving the impact of its benefits to those we serve.
· Support the coordination and implementation of all assigned project activities as outlined in the detailed implementation plan in line with CRS program quality principles and standards, donor and Government of Ethiopia requirements, and good practices.
· Monitor and report any challenges and/or gaps identified to inform adjustments to plans and implementation schedules. Assist partners in their efforts to reflect on project experiences.
· Support accountability through coordinating project evaluation activities and assisting partners in their efforts to collect and analyze project data per specified mechanisms and tools. Collaborate with local partner(s) to prepare reports per established reporting schedule.
· Collect information on staff capacity needs and technical assistance needs of partner organizations and monitor capacity building and technical support activities.
· Complete project documentation for assigned activities. Assist with identifying information for case studies and reports on promising practices.
· Support the implementation of RFSA’s Water Quality Assurance Plan (WQAP) by coordinating the testing of physical, chemical and biological parameters, supporting environmental risk assessments and mitigations and ensuring that partners are compliant with the WQAP.
· Track and provide technical support on the construction, rehabilitation, expansion of water schemes during development and track functionality and status through life of award.
· Track and provide technical support on construction of hygiene and sanitation facilities in schools, health care facilities and FDPs.
· In coordination with ICT4D team, collect GPS coordinates of all WASH infrastructures constructed in RFSA and analyze data as needed.
· Support procurement process of WASH supplies including review of BoQs
· Coordinate with Woredas WASH Team in the capacity strengthening activities.
· Facilitate strengthening of WASHCOs and caretakers. Track WASHCos and water scheme caretakers’ availability, management and capacity, including the availability and use of toolkits. Support the follow up of appropriate operation and maintenance services of schemes
· Facilitate and support different WASH related assessments.
· Support the preparation of annual Detail Implementation Plan and budget, quarterly report and follow up of Indicator Tracking Template.
· Support woredas WASH sector offices to develop sustainable WASH Service Road Maps.
Typical Background, Experience & Requirements:
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Water Resources, Civil, Hydraulic Engineering preferred.
- Minimum of 3 years of work experience in project support. Experience in the field of WASH and for an NGO would be a plus.
- Experience in participatory action planning and community engagement
- Experience monitoring projects and collecting relevant data preferred
- Experience using MS Windows and MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
- Observation, active listening and analysis skills with ability to make sound judgment
- Good relationship management skills and the ability to work closely with local partners and community members
- Attention to details, accuracy and timeliness in executing assigned responsibilities
- Proactive, results-oriented and service-oriented
Required/Desired Foreign Language – Excellent written and verbal English and Amharic. Knowledge of project location language (Afan Oromo) is a plus.
Travel Required – Travel to project locations within East Hararghe is needed
Key Working Relationships:
Internal: RFSA Chief of Party, RFSA DCOPs for Programming, MEAL, Finance and Compliance, RFSA Purpose Managers, RFSA WASH Program Manager, the Field office Manager, CRS Country Program WASH Team, all Country Program staff, Regional and Headquarters technical staff.
External: Partners, Government organizations, Private sectors, other NGOs.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff):
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
· Serves with Integrity
· Models Stewardship
· Cultivates Constructive Relationships
· Promotes Learning
How to Apply
You should fill the application form through this link: https://www.jotform.com/build/212943005841551 and attach your up-to-date CV on / before the application deadline November 04, 2021.
You will be contacted only if selected for written exam/interview. Phone solicitations will not be accepted. These job opportunities are open to Ethiopian nationals only.
CRS requires its staff to treat all people with dignity and respect and to actively prevent harassment, abuse, exploitation, and human trafficking.
** Qualified women are highly encouraged to apply**