The Center for Innovative Drug Development and Therapeutic Trials for Africa (CDT-Africa) is a World Bank supported center of excellence for education and research at the College of Health Sciences, Addis Ababa University, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. The main aim of CDT-Africa is to serve as a platform for equitable access to interventions (medicines, vaccines, diagnostics and complex interventions) and bring about sustainable development in Africa through high-quality capacity development for innovative therapeutic discovery.
As part of this effort, CDT-Africa would like to hire an experienced project coordinator who can coordinate CDT-Africa “Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Intervention for People with
Severe Mental Illness in Low- and Middle-Income Country Primary Care Settings” (PTSD) project.
The Role of the Coordinator
The successful applicant will be responsible for managing PTSD project with a particular focus on co-ordinating a randomised feasibility trial of a psychosocial intervention for Posttraumatic Stress Disorder for People with Severe Mental Illness under the guidance of CDT-Africa Center Lead and study investigators.
- Work closely with study investigators to manage study activities.
- Frequent field trips to ensure the smooth running of the research project.
- Work closely with project leads to ensure implementation of all standardised operating procedures for quality data collection and management.
- Ensure all project staffs are aware of ethical procedures and adhere to them.
- Supervise, oversee and manage data collection, including pre-participation measures, quality control measures during the study, process evaluation metrics such as recruitment rates, duration of sessions and attendance rates, masked post-participation metrics by independent assessors, and post-trial in-depth interviews with participants and healthcare workers.
- Liaise actively with local stakeholders to support engagement in the studies and to co-ordinate the study.
- Participate in the preparation and organization of training activities, and follow up assessment of trainees and facilitators to ensure quality of training and performance.
- Train and supervise qualitative and quantitative data collections.
- Leading role in research dissemination activities.
- Additional tasks as directed by the Head of the Center and study investigators.
Terms and conditions
- Salary: negotiable depending on qualifications and experience.
- Hours of work: are governed by the laws of Ethiopia. However, the nature of the work is such that it might require working overtime and weekends, with due financial compensation.
- Holidays: are governed by the rules of Addis Ababa University for project workers.
- Length of contract: this is a one year post subject to six month contract renewal.
- Probationary period and notice period: there is a three-month probationary period for this role. The notice period is one month.
No. required: One
Terms of employment; Full-time, 1 year post subject to six month contract renewal
Reports to: CDT-Africa Center Lead
- At least an MSc in a Health-related or social science-related field, with thesis.
- At least 3 years of experience working in the capacity of a research assistant or above.
- Knowledge of health research
- Experience in participating clinical trials, feasibility studies and related research activities
- Experience in working with international collaborators
- Discretion and ability to handle confidential and sensitive information.
- Experience with both qualitative and quantitative research methods.
- Strong computer program literacy and knowledge.
- Willing to travel to study sites as needed.
- Strong administrative and organisational skills.
- Well organised.
- A high level of attention to detail.
- Ability to work with others, including international collaborators
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
How to Apply
- Application should be submitted with a short CV (maximum length 4 pages) and a covering letter (maximum 2 pages) to the Human Resources Department of the College of Health Sciences (Addis Ababa University): HR Department, The Human Resources Office, 1st Floor, College of Health Sciences Building, College of Health Sciences, Addis Ababa University, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. The covering letter should describe how you meet the requirements for the position and why you want the job.
- The recruitment will involve a written exam and interview. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- The application should be submitted within 07 working days from the date of this vacancy announcement.