Job Title: Programme Associate (Nutrition)
No. Position: 1 (One)
VA No.: 151312Contract Type: Fixed Term
Date of Issue: 20 October 2021 Grade: FT G6
Deadline: 03 November 2021 Duty Station: Gambella (1)
Position Duration: One year with possibility of extension.
Assisting 91.4 million people in around 83 countries each year, the World Food Programme (WFP) is the leading humanitarian organization saving lives and changing lives, delivering food assistance in emergencies and working with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience. On any given day, WFP has 5,000 trucks, 20 ships and 92 planes on the move, delivering food and other assistance to those in most need. Every year, we distribute more than 15 billion rations at an estimated average cost per ration of US$ 0.31. These numbers lie at the roots of WFP’s unparalleled reputation as an emergency responder, one that gets the job done quickly at scale in the most difficult environments. WFP’s efforts focus on emergency assistance, relief and rehabilitation, development aid and special operations.
WFP Ethiopia is working with the government and other humanitarian partners to strengthen the resilience of Ethiopia’s most vulnerable population and to chart a more prosperous and sustainable future for the next generation. The Country Office also supports programmes that use food assistance to empower women, transform areas affected by climate change and keep children in school. It aims to contribute to Ethiopia’s five-year development agenda, the Growth and Transformation Plan (GTP), through which the Government combats food insecurity.
This job is found in WFP Ethiopia Country office based in Gambella Sub Office. Job holders typically report to a Programme Policy Officer or the designate.
At this level, job holders are expected to demonstrate responsibility and initiative to respond independently to various queries with only general guidance. There is a requirement to use judgment in dealing with unforeseen operational problems on a daily basis. Job holder is expected to manage resources and coach and coordinate support staff. The job holder will be supervised by and works in close collaboration with the Head of Programme and Programme unit’s camp focal points to provide field support for nutrition and related tasks.
The operations of WFP Gambella Sub Office provide food and nutrition assistance to South Sudanese refugees in all the Gambella/Pugnido refugee camps and the Pagak Transit center. It also provides food support under its resilience program to selected communities in Woredas adjacent the refugee camps.
WFP provides all its food and nutrition assistance through cooperation with Cooperating Partners which implement the programs in the refugee camps. General food assistance is provided to every registered refugee residing in the refugee camps and within host community settlements (Akula for example) by ARRA under a tripartite WFPiARRA/UNHCR agreement, while nutrition assistance is provided by NGOS in each of the camps (AAH – Nguenyyiel, Pagak Transit Center and Pugnido l; IMC in Jewicamp;GOAL in Kule, Tierkidiand Akula camps; Concern Worldwide in Pugnido ll camp, and ASDEPO in Okugu camp).
The outbreak of the coronavirus early in the year has resulted in mass influxes of South Sudanese refugees at the Pagak Reception Center where GOAL has been providing hot meals to about 3,800 refugees, with AAH doing Blanket Supplementary Feeding (BSFP) on top of Targeted Supplementary Feeding (TSF) to children <5 and PLWs. WFP’s BSFP and TSFP programs also continue to be implemented in the Pagak Transit center by AAH due to the high GAM rate there.
ln order to ensure that nutrition interventions for the refugee operations continue uninterrupted and are appropriate to the nutrition context and implemented correctly and with a high level of quality, this position is required to support the Sub Office and the nutrition partners to provide technical assistance and programme oversight for nutrition activities.
To provide effective specialized support and technical analyses to policy and programme activities that effectively meet food assistance needs.
- Provide technical support and assist in the development and implementation of various nutrition activities and processes in alignment with wider programme policies and guidelines.
- Provide nutrition project management support to various food assistance activities within refugee operations under the established targets following WFP’s policies and procedures.
- Prepare a range of reports and data analysis (e.9. food assistance needs, resource utilization, programme status, performance) and highlight trends/issues ensuring deliverables adhere to corporate standards and quality control.
- Ensure and/or perform accurate, timely recording of data within the specific technical area of work (e.g. nutrition surveys, assistance programmes, food security and vulnerability assessments) and consistency of information presented to stakeholders.
- Liaise with internal counterparts to support effective collaboration, implementation and monitoring of ongoing project activities.
- Coordinate and communicate with local partners, agencies, NGOs and government institutions to perform accurate food security and nutrition analyses and to ensure efficient delivery of food assistance.
- Facilitate and support the capacity building of WFP staff, cooperating partners and regional government counterparts through trainings and support on the use of nutrition data collection and reporting tools, and measurements during surveys, assessments, etc.
- Act as a point of contact for resolution of a range of operational queries and problems related to nutrition.
- Oversee and/or review the work of other field monitoring staff, providing practical advice and guidance, to contribute to delivering objectives to agreed standards and deadlines.
- Follow standard emergency preparedness practices to ensure WFP is able to quickly respond and deploy needed resources to affected areas at the onset of the crisis.
- Participate in annual and ad-hoc nutrition-related and other joint surveys, assessments in the region.
- Perform other duties as required/delegated.
- Provide a brief on nutrition activities each week – dwelling on the issues and flagging anything with potential to affect implementation of the nutrition interventions – and submit to Head of Programme with copy to Programme unit and HoSO.
- Collect monthly reports from all partners using Nutrition tools for MAM-TSFP CPDR Monthly reports, Blanket- BSFP Monthly reports; verified, validate and clean the data and ensure data is matched in both CMAM and CPDR.
- Collect CPDRs and compile the summarized reports from partners and share with Sub Office MEAL focal poinUProgramme team; and follow up with partners for submission of missing or revised reports.
- Facilitate nutrition related information flow between the Sub Office and Partners at SO level.
- Provide effective and timely technical support to partners specifically on the management of nutrition foods – quality assurance, consumption, safety and handling through regular visits to the warehouses of partners and nutrition centers.
- Assist Head of Programme as needed
- Assist VAM and MEAL sections as needed
- Assist with SO operations reporting as needed
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
• Has worked with technical teams (i.e. M&E, VAM, etc.).
• Has contributed to implementation of programmes.
• Has observed or assisted with policy discussions.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate in the related functional area.
Experience: At least six or more years of progressively responsible work experience in the related business stream with experience in programmes activities.
Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English. Knowledge of the local language is an added advantage.
HOW TO APPLY
WFP is an equal opportunity employer. Female candidates meeting the above qualifications are encouraged to apply on-line through WFP recruitment website.
This VA is open ONLY to Ethiopian Nationals.
Public access: http://www1.wfp.org/careers/job-openings
WFP staff access: http://newgo.wfp.org/services/e-recruitment
Please note that WFP does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process. Only qualified candidates will be contacted.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
03 November 2021
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.