Programme Assistant (Feedback and Learning)
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
|Type of Appointment||Special Short Term, Six months with possibility of extension|
|Estimated Start Date||As soon as possible|
|Posting Period||21.09.2021 – 05.10.2021|
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to the principles of Accountability to Affected Populations (AAP), an active commitment by organizations engaging in direct assistance to populations in need of aid, to use power responsibly by taking account of, giving account to and being held to account by the people they seek to assist. IOM Ethiopia is committed to involve people affected by crisis and other destabilizing factors in key decisions and processes that impact them and have effective communication and feedback channels that engage diverse members in a community, especially those most vulnerable and marginalized. AAP promotes people-centred approach that reinforces the broader accountability of the organization to all stakeholders including donors, governments and Member States.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal & External candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy.
Responsibilities and accountabilities:
Under the direct supervision of the Programme Support Unit (PSU) National M&E Officer, and the overall supervision of the Senior Programme Support Coordinator, the successful candidate will support the collation, analysis, and reporting of community and programmatic feedback on IOM SLO Addis Ababa Programme Office.
- Support the National M&E Officer and the Mission in mainstreaming AAP across all IOM programmes and programme management cycles.
- Support the National M&E Officer in the development and implementation of IOM’s Accountability to Affected Populations (AAP) plan.
- Support coordination and management of the Mission wide multiple Community Feedback Mechanism (CFM) including the phone hotline among and between field-office staff, CFM focal points, Information Managers, and Programme Managers.
- Provide technical support in reviewing and monitoring the CFM through surveys, focus groups discussions, key stakeholder’s interviews, etc, and suggest action plans to improve IOM’s accountability to the affected population.
- Coordinating and facilitating capacity building activities for IOM and partners staff to improving understanding of AAP and Communication with Communities (CWC) principles and approaches.
- Collate, analyze and share summarized CFM reports and recommendations regularly to improve internal controls and enhance the efficiency and quality of the Mission’s programme implementation
- Supporting the Mission and the National M&E Officer in advocacy and networking for improved understanding of and adoption of AAP principles and approaches in the humanitarian response, maintaining the interlinkage with IAAWG-E/CBCM/PSEA networks.
- Perform other duties as requested by the manager.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- A university degree in anthropology, social work, law, development studies, information management systems, communications, evaluation, analysis, human rights, international development, or other relevant field is required.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in the field of monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning or community engagement communication works, especially within humanitarian emergency or post-emergency contexts, with a good understanding of donor funded programmes and other UN Partners.
- Training in AAP and Community Engagement and Communication and experience in facilitating trainings.
- Experience with supervision roles for tasks of a similar nature to this assignment.
- Familiar with human rights and protection principles.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office, with proven experience in Word, Excel and Power point.
- Experience working in liaison with GoE and international organizations.
- Technical skills in qualitative and quantitative assessments methods, analytical, report writing and visualization and information management skills.
- Strong communication skills with the ability to effectively and persuasively present information in a variety of settings and formats.
- Fluency in English and knowledge of spoken Amharic is required.
- Working knowledge of other local languages such as Somali or Oromifa or Tigrigna is an advantage.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application/ motivation letter enclosed with only detail CV written in English via our e-mail address RECADDIS@IOM.INT by 5th of October 2021, the latest, referring the position title and Vacancy number in the subject line of your email. Photocopies of Educational/training certificates are NOT required at this stage; applicant who doesn’t follow the required application procedure will automatically be disqualified from the competition.
We strongly encourage qualified women to apply!