Category: Agriculture, Economics, Social Sciences and Community
Location: Andabet Woreda, Amhara
Career Level: Managerial Level (Manager, Supervisor, Director)
Floresta Ethiopia is non- governmental organization based in San Diego CA, USA, whose mission is to reverse poverty and deforestation by transforming the lives of rural poor.
NOW Floresta Ethiopia is implementing different developmental societal activities to improved economic empowerment and environmental restoration in Andabet woreda, Amhara region, Ethiopia. On top of its expansion for certain planning years, the program, Floresta Ethiopia would like to invite competent candidates who fulfill the requirement of the indicated different vacant positions listed below.
Position Description and Background
Primary focus of all efforts is to improve the lives of small-scale smallholder farming households in ways that restore the environment, significantly reducing soil degradation in the watersheds of Andabet woreda.
We are also looking for a skilled Program Director. A significant role of the Program Director is to manage the organization in keeping with the strategic plan, mission and vision of the organization. The Program Director will direct program implementation and operations within deadlines defined in strategic plans, annual operating plans, and all policies and procedures as set out by the organization.
Lead the Team (20% of time)
- Provide the vision for the growth and professionalization of the entire team
- Mentor staff, ensure that the values and principles of the organization are reflected in staff behavior and in project actions
- Continuously monitor staffing structure to ensure that the team operates in the most effective manner possible
- Ensure balance of ethnicity and gender on the team and in the recruitment and hiring process
- Empower staff to exercise their own initiative and function with a high level of independence
- Conduct regular performance reviews
Program Management (50% of time)
- Lead the team to accomplish all goals and expectations within deadlines
- Supervise the activities, including field visits accompanying field staff, in all program areas.
- Guide the staff through developing the most efficient and effective ways of meeting their objectives
- Work with Plant With Purpose to set goals and objectives in keeping with the mission and vision of the organization
- Coordinate with Plant With Purpose to ensure that the strategic plan and annual operating plans fit within the larger international strategy
Manage Partnerships and Oversee Reporting (10% of time)
- Ensure quality relations with all stakeholders. This may be government organizations, research institutions, institutional donors, funding partners staff, individual donors, other NGOs, or any other partner.
- Promote strong ties with local leaders (government, churches, community groups, etc.)
- Develop strong relationships with other local organizations
- Communicate regularly with funding partners about the state of the program and ensure that all reporting requirements are met on time.
- Communicate regularly with funding partners about the state of the program
Board Relations (10% of time)
- Report to the Board
- Organize board meetings and communicate all relevant news to the board in a timely manner
- Equip the Board with all the information necessary to make wise, informed decisions. Prepare reports as requested.
- The PD is the secretary of the board. In this role, you may be asked to assist in recruiting new board members as needed, coordinate any events, learning opportunities, site visits or other activities as needed to cultivate a strong and capable board.
Financial Management (10% of time)
- Ensure internal controls are in place for optimization of financial management
- Oversee the accountant and finance team to ensure that all funds are utilized responsibly and efficiently
- Be accountable for all financial matters and recommend policy and/or procedures changes when necessary to strengthen financial accountability systems
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS & PHYSICAL DEMANDS
Frequent travel to project sites which at times may be in difficult and physically arduous conditions.
Reports to: Program Officer, PWP Main Office/FE Board
Supervises: All FE Staff
Job Status: Full Time Contract
QUALITIES NEEDED FOR SUCCESS
- A vision for integrated community development driven by communities, not project driven, which links the environmental, economic and spiritual aspects of rural farmer households
- Ability to think creatively and pursue new solutions to existing challenges
- Deep knowledge of local context in Andabet, South Gondar, Amhara Region, Ethiopia
- Ability to optimize financial, time, and human resources to achieve desired project outcomes
- Ability to relate across cultures
- The PD must personally model a high standard of service, ministry and integrity through lifestyle and work relationships
- Must be a citizen of Ethiopia
- Excellent community development experience and skills
- Leadership and management skills
- Fluent in Amharic and English both spoken and written
- Good planning skills
- Good writing and reporting skills
- Interest in theology of the care of creation, conservation, forestry, sustainable agriculture and micro-finance with demonstrated expertise (training/work experience) in at least one of these areas
- at least 7 years experience in community development
- at least 4 years experience in program management including supervision of multiple positions
- Bachelor’s degree required with a preference for a Masters degree in agriculture, rural development, economics, community development or a related field (or equivalent combination of education and experience)
How to Apply
Interested candidates who meet the above requirements are invited to apply via e-mail. Candidates send their non-returnable application letter, CV’s, experience and copies of other essential documents with-in the above mentioned registration days to Floresta Ethiopia at E-mail. firstname.lastname@example.org put the title of the position you are applying for in the subject line of the E-mail.
NB: All candidates must send their documents via e-mail in pdf and zip format only. Otherwise the organization will not consider the application as well.