FH Ethiopia is a non-governmental organization engaged in relief and development activities. At FH, we operate under a set of guiding principles we call the “The Heartbeat”. This includes our Values, Vision and Purpose, which serve as the explanation of who we are and how we work as organization. Together we follow God’s call responding to human suffering and graduating communities from extreme poverty. FH Ethiopia would like to invite potential internal and external candidates to apply for the following position:
Position: NRM/Public Work(PW) & Environment Officer
Duty Station: Sahila & Abergelle (Amhara Region)
Duration of Contract: One-year contract, Renewable (with 60 working days probation period)
Salary: As per the salary scale of the organization
Closing date: October 30, 2021
Responsible for the overall coordination, planning, implementation, monitoring, and reporting of the NRM, environment and PW activities of the Resilience Food Security Activity (RFSA). He/She is responsible to promote community based watershed development approach and the DRR policy of the Government of Ethiopia. He/She is responsible to provide technical backstopping to DAs, NRM facilitators and Soil and Water Conservation supervisor
Key Result #1. Planning activities
1. Involve in planning, implementation, budget management and reporting of NRM, Public Work & Environment sectors;
2. Prepare a quarterly procurement plan and timely request for the purchase of materials;
3. Provide technical advice to the project manager in the area of NRM, environment and PW activities during planning;
4. Prepare and submit progress reports (monthly, quarterly and annual) on the due date and submit to the project office;
5. Keep copies of all records regarding to payment and attendance lists related to NRM, environment and PW;
6. Gather and document project ideas related to NRM, environment and PW and feed into the organizational planning processes.
Key Result #2 Program Implementation
1. Ensure that NRM, environment and DRR activities implemented as per the PSNP-IV design document and PIM;
2. Ensure that all the development workers and task force members are clearly aware the objectives of the NRM and PW sector;
3. Prepare clear working procedure and guidelines to implement the NRM, environment and PW activities;
4. Closely supervise activities and identify potential problems and communicate to the advisor to improve program quality;
5. Train selected farmers for laying-out of the contour line before the terrace construction;
6. Properly manage any tools, equipment and materials used under the component;
7. If any damage on resource and or theft/corrupt cases happen, you are responsible to immediately submit a written report to the project office for action;
8. Properly manage vehicles or motorcycles assigned for the component;
9. Ensure community based watershed management approach is properly implemented;
10. Ensure gender, youth, social accountability and environmental activities are mainstreamed with NRM and PW sectors.
Result #3 – Capacity Building Activities
1. Identify capacity gaps of DAs and FH NRM facilitators and SWC supervisors and fill the gaps as deemed necessary with the view of enhancing the capacity of the mentioned FH and partners’ staff;
2. Make sure that DAs and FH Livelihood animators internalized the PIM and work in adherence to the rules, regulations and procedures set in it;
3. Provides on the job training and technical backstopping to field DAs and promoters.
Key Result #4 – Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting
2. Prepare periodic progress reports (monthly, quarterly, annual) on business and marketing and submit to the project Manager and the Project Monitoring and Evaluation Coordinator;
3. Keep proper documentation of project proposals, periodic reports, agreements and other documents related to NRM, DRR and PSNP/DFSA, both on soft copy and hard copy;
4. Participate in DFSA-TRAIN project mid-term and terminal evaluation.
Key Result #5- Networking
1. Create linkage with other NGOs, relevant government agencies and the private sector.
2. Create close working relationships with woreda, kebele and community task forces and assist them in the process of setting up criteria for targeting and planning of activities at all levels.
Food for the Hungry/ FHE is committed to conducting its programs and operations in a manner that is safe for all beneficiaries it serves. It is FH’s policy to create and proactively maintain an environment that prevents and deters any actions and omissions that put any beneficiaries, including children and the most vulnerable at risk. All personnel are expected to conduct themselves in a manner consistent with this commitment and obligation. Any violations of this policy could result in termination.
⮚ Provide adequate time to staff to participate in gender sensitivity workshops and related events.
⮚ Through observation, interviews, and spot-checks, ensure that the staff planning process is gender sensitive.
⮚ Build a better gender balance in staffing through affirmative action.
⮚ Observe if women staff are as involved as men in high-profile activities such as interaction with visitors and chairing meetings, and take corrective action if warranted.
⮚ Encourage female staff to participate in external networks (local and regional), as well as seminars and cross visits.
⮚ Facilitate open and regular discussions with staff on about the work environment, policies, and values convenient to gender issues.
Safety & Security Responsibility
⮚ Encourages compliance of Safety and Security principles and policies of the organization by all staffs;
⮚ Visiting project Offices and operational areas periodically to meet staff and making sure that all staff members are aware of the safety and security procedures;
⮚ Explains to staffs the reasoning behind the organization’s safety and security policies and procedures
⮚ Organizing local training sessions, such as First Aid, Fire Safety, and Defensive Driving for staff members. If possible, he/she should conduct briefing and training sessions himself/herself;
⮚ Ensures that safety and security objectives are added to performance reviews and evaluations of all staff members;
⮚ Encourages staffs to adopt safe and secure practices. Ensuring that updated personnel information related to safety (Record of Emergency Data) and security management are kept in Human resources.
Job Level Specifications
⮚ Full agreement with FH’s Christian foundation and beliefs as expressed in The Heartbeat: our Values, Vision, and Purpose.
⮚ Strong Interpersonal skills,
⮚ Emotional maturity,
⮚ Cross-cultural Sensitivity,
⮚ Ability to work effectively under pressure
⮚ 3 years related experience in a relevant position Preferably in INGO Setting
⮚ Bsc in Land Resource Management/ Natural Resource Management or relevant field of study.
⮚ Strong computer skill and knowledge in the area of MS word, MS Excel, MS Access, PowerPoint and email communication.
⮚ High level of initiative taking.
⮚ Proficiency in both spoken and written English. Ability to write reports and business correspondence.
How to Apply
Women Candidates are highly encouraged to apply
Competent candidates can submit ONLY their application and CV to: email@example.com
Candidates MUST refer the position title “NRM/Public Work(PW) & Environment Officer” on the subject line of their email and applications.