Splash Ethiopia is seeking someone with the attention to detail and commitment to precision to help us collect accurate, quality data on the progress and impact of our Addis Ababa WASH program. As the MLE Officer you will spend approximately 4 working days per week visiting sites to conduct data collection and approximately 1 day per week in the office for supervision, training, meetings, data entry, etc. (this may be adjusted somewhat seasonally due to school closures, holidays, weather conditions, etc.). The MLE Officer will be based in Addis Ababa and work under the supervision of the Ethiopia MLE Coordinator with technical support from the MLE Senior Manager.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Conduct qualitative and quantitative data collection (surveys, observations, interviews, focus groups, etc.) at key times throughout Splash program implementation cycle from public schools serving grades KG – 12.
- Perform regular, timely, and precise data entry in multiple tools/formats including mobile surveys, online database and computer spreadsheets.
- Assist in other data collection efforts/initiatives as time allows (this includes but is not limited to household surveys, special studies/pilots, etc.)
- Record and communicate interactions and observations at sites and with site staff with relevant Splash team members for appropriate follow-up
- Maintain professional objectivity and uphold protocols to reduce bias and preserve subject dignity and safety
- You have proven experience with work requiring a high level of attention to detail, ability to follow detailed instructions exactly, and a personal drive for extremely high quality of work and commitment to precision
- You are willing to spend extended amounts of time ‘in the field’ outside regular office environment, and have a flexible attitude
- You possess a natural curiosity that pushes you to ask difficult questions, think through problems, and seek to know the “why” of things
- You exhibit absolute integrity, honesty, openness and sound judgment
- You are an excellent communicator, with the ability to listen and communicate effectively with a wide variety of internal and externals constituents
- You enjoy working independently and consistently demonstrate self-starting initiative
- You are part of a team – you enjoy collaboration and interaction both in and out of the office
- You are innovative and creative: you constantly seek better ways to accomplish objectives
- You demonstrate excellent organizational skills, self-motivation, flexibility, and the ability to work and thrive in a fast-paced, energetic, entrepreneurial environment
- You have a deep belief in and passion for Splash’s work and the children we serve
- You are driven to help create a better world – never by your own ego
- Splash is seeking qualified candidates with demonstrated excellence and three years of professional experience, non-profit or NGO preferred.
- Educational background at the BSc level in a relevant field such as statistics or public health is preferred.
- Ability to work and live in Ethiopia is required, and native Amharic speakers are strongly preferred.
- Professional English fluency, familiarity with technology including Android OS and applications, Microsoft Office
- Commensurate with experience
How to Apply
Interested and Qualified applicant can apply through: https://splashorg.wufoo.com/forms/z1afb2441ic69w7/
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
This person will apply their skills and experience to ensure the accuracy of data collection and entry related to Splash program implementation and monitoring. Excellent communication and coordination skills will be required to engage and implement this work in a dynamic environment. Although previous experience in water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) is not mandatory, prior sector knowledge and/or experience with data collection is appreciated.