Deadline: Jan 23, 2023
Lifebox (www.lifebox.org) is a global non-profit that saves lives through safer surgery and anesthesia. Lifebox works to increase anesthesia safety, reduce surgical infection rates, and strengthen operating room teamwork through tools, training, and partnerships. Since its founding in 2011, Lifebox has worked in over 116 countries and trained more than 11,000 healthcare providers.
The overall purpose of this position is to manage Lifebox’s monitoring, evaluation and data quality work globally. Working closely with the program and clinical teams in implementing quality improvement and research projects, the Monitoring and Evaluation manager will finalize the design and manage the implementation of a global M&E system, and will ensure the quality of data gathered through the Clean Cut and other Lifebox programs globally. The position holder will be responsible for ensuring that monitoring, evaluation and learning activities are implemented to a high standard. This will include providing technical support for M&E components of project design and implementation, leading preparation of internal and donor reports, providing training for staff, establishing and managing databases, ensuring the documentation and sharing of lessons learned and good practices.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning (approx 70% of time)
- Ensure a robust M&E framework and system is in place across the organization; manage the ongoing implementation of that system, providing quality checks and support to colleagues
- Work with program team colleagues to ensure the design and implementation of high-quality monitoring, evaluation and learning processes and tools, ensuring that best practices are integrated and programs are delivered based on robust evidence
- Implement a routine data collection system and support team members to ensure it is used appropriately across all programs
- Support the design of data collection methodologies, and analyze and evaluate data to ensure achievement of objectives and recommend corrective action, when necessary
- Be involved in the design, data collection and report writing of baseline/follow up assessments in programs
- Closely collaborate with program managers/officers in monitoring the implementation of planned activities, attending project meetings, identifying challenges and gaps, and proposing corrective actions
- Together with the Research Advisor, support the program and clinical teams in analysis, synthesis and dissemination of evaluation findings, including maintaining a database of evaluation findings and responses.
- Document lessons learned and good practices
- Facilitate regular project implementation, performance review sessions & learning events.
- Closely working with program managers/officers, other program and clinical teams, lead the provision of data for quality internal and donor regular reports
Data Quality and DHIS2 management (approx 30% of time)
Directly supervise Data Quality Officer and ensure implementation of all data quality related plans and activities including the listed below
- Ensure that systems, tools and resources for data quality are in place and properly implemented across Lifebox projects
- Ensure configuration, maintenance, proper functioning and output of the Clean Cut hospital DHIS2 implementation.
- Together with the Data Quality Officer, ensure back- and front-end support of Lifebox DHIS2 customization and implementation.
- Support quality assurance of DHIS2 and other data systems.
- Ensure that customization and addition of modules, facilities and users to DHIS2 is done as needed
- Support Data Quality Officer in managing the technical and non-technical documentation of Lifebox’s DHIS2 and other data systems
- Work with the Data Quality Officer to analyze DHIS2 performance, identify challenges and troubleshoot.
- Ensure that regular reports for each Clean Cut implementation hospital is produced by Data Quality Officer
- Ensure that Lifebox staff capacity is built in data visualization and data use for decision-making, using DHIS2 and other data systems.
- Build Lifebox M&E team capacity in DHIS2 configuration, technical support and customization for new programs.
Location: Addis Ababa with regular national travel; possibility of some international travel
Contract: One Year with possibility of extension based on funding availability
Reporting to: Program Director
Positions reporting to: Data Quality Officer
Key relationships: Lifebox program & clinical team members, external stakeholders & partners.
PERSON SPECIFICATION: Qualification and Experience
- Master’s degree in monitoring and evaluation, project management, public health, statistics or relevant social science field is required
- At least six years’ experience of designing and implementing M&E systems, with some experience in a management role
- Practical knowledge and experience of monitoring and evaluation methodologies, including development of log frames, result chains, theories of change, and assessment/evaluations.
- Experience and knowledge of qualitative and quantitative methodologies
- Experience of designing data collection tools, and data analysis, using an analysis package such as SPSS
- Proven ability to take initiative and work proactively to solve problems
- Knowledge and experience working with DHIS2
- Ability to communicate and collaborate with a global team, sharing information proactively and tailoring information to the audience appropriately
- Ability to manage time while working remotely across time zones in order to support the global team
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Experience working within the health sector and health related projects/programs
- Certificate in SPSS or other related data analysis package is a plus.
- DHIS2 certification
- Fluency in English and Amharic language is essential
- Other languages such as French or Spanish is a plus.