|Position Title:||Migrant Protection Intern|
|Duty Station:||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Type of Appointment:||Three months with possibility of extension|
|Estimated Start Date:||As soon as possible|
|Closing Date:||14 October 2021|
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. External candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy.
Under the general supervision of the Programme Officer (Migrant Protection) and direct supervision of the Senior Capacity Building Assistant in the IOM Special Liaison Office in Addis Ababa, the Intern shall be responsible to carry out general duties related to migrant protection and assistance within IOM and support in the implementation of the the project Assessing Stigma for Prevention, Improved Response and Evidence Base (ASPIRE). In particular, he/she will be responsible for the following duties and responsibilities:
Project Implementation and Reporting
- Assist the Migrant Protection and Assistance subunit in the overall planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting of selected project activities
- Participate in regular bi-weekly and coordination meetings to take notes and to follow up with action points
- Assist in organizing trainings and workshops for governmental, non-governmental and media actors in different migrant protection and assistance related topics.
- Keep track and accurate record of project progress
- Assist in generating project activity implementation and event reports following standard templates
- Participate in duty travels to different location to assist in project implementation
- Support in organizing project review meetings with key project implementation stakeholders at federal, regional and local levels
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Keep record of training and workshop participants information, Pre/post -assessments, training evaluations and outcome surveys
- Raise online Purchase Requests and request for payments for purchasing project items and organizing events
- Perform any other related duties
Training Components and Learning Elements
- Set personal development objectives and expected results for the period of internship
- Receive mentorship from direct and technical supervisors
- Take part in online and others training opportunities
- BA degree (fresh graduate) in Social Sciences or related field of study is required.
- High level of computer literacy is required particularly good knowledge of MS Office
- Good communication skills, drive for results, flexibility, efficiency, respect for diversity
- Ability to work effectively under stressful conditions and within a team of colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds
- Familiarity with the work of NGOs and/or International Organizations would be a plus.
- Prior experience working for an international organization, particularly on migration issues, would be an asset, though not required.
- Thorough knowledge of spoken and written English and a working knowledge of Amharic is required
- Knowledge of additional local language is an advantage
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticism
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
- Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Performance Management – identifies ways and implements actions to improve performance of self and others.
- Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
- Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application/ motivation letter enclosed with only detail CV written in English via our e-mail address RECADDIS@IOM.INT, by 14 October 2021 at the latest, referring the position title and Vacancy number in the subject line of your email; no photocopies of educational/training certificates is required at this stage; applicant who doesn`t follow the required application procedure will automatically be disqualified from the competition.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
We strongly encourage qualified women to apply!