October 11, 2021
Job Title: Livelihood Officer
Reports to: Area Coordinator
Duty Station: Oromia Regional State, Chiro and Gombi Bordede
Salary: As per the organization Scale
Duration: One year with possible extension based on performance
Islamic Relief is an international relief and development charity founded in 1984 with its headquarters in Birmingham, UK. As well as responding to disasters and emergencies, Islamic Relief promotes sustainable economic and social development by working with local communities – regardless of race, religion or gender. The office officially started its operation in Ethiopia in 2004. Islamic Relief Ethiopia (IRE) is operational in the Somali Regional State with a base office in Hargelle, Elkere, Bare and Dekasuftu, Afar Regional State; Ewa and Gulina, Oromia Regional State; Chiro and Meayso and an additional operational office in Addis Ababa. For more information please visit our website: http://www.islamic-relief.org/work-with-us.
The purpose of Livelihood officer position is to plan, implement, monitor and reporting livelihood interventions in accordance with the project proposal. S/he conducts situation assessment on families’ livelihood actions, pilot testing and documentation of potential practices in the areas of VSLAs, small scale business, entrepreneurship, Agriculture and Livestock Production, provide capacity building and technical assistance to the be, propose necessary materials,
- Planning and Coordination: Familiarize him/herself with IR mission, values and procedures to ensure that all project activities under his/her jurisdiction implemented in accordance with IR policies, internationally and national standards, donor requirements and IR Ethiopia requirements.
- Project implementation: Provide capacity building and technical assistance to right holders to enhance saving and starting own business through trainings and coaching, Support target holders to enhance agricultural productivity through provision different improved inputs, technical capacity building, coaching and monitoring that would increase the organizational and institutional capacity of the local community together with its subordinates. Compile and regularly update the livelihoods data-base at the field office, ensure project document filing systems are secured, maintained and up to date.
- Monitoring and evaluation: Develop clear monitoring plan and tools. Report in accordance with the tools, conduct situation assessment on community economic condition ‘if required, organize and commence feasibility studies to come up with clear recommendations.
- Networking: Create linkages and liaise with all relevant stakeholders and represent Islamic Relief in various networking and discussion forums especially in matters relating to the project planning, implementation, information sharing, reporting, joint monitoring and evaluation. In collaboration with sector officers and accounts prepares an annual action and budget plan for IR within the frames set by the organization. Maintain good relationship with stakeholders at Kebele, District and Zonal level.
- Reporting: Produce and compile quality project report and financial reports to both internal (country office) and external stakeholders (Relevant District sector offices of the government). Prepare and submit consolidated weekly, monthly, quarterly and yearly plan and reports to line his/her supervisor timely.
- First Degree in Agricultural Economics, Economics, Development studies, Value Chain, Livelihood and Security or other related subjects.
- A minimum of three years of work experience in livelihood and Food Security programs/projects position;
- Training in MERSE
- Experience in programme/project management in an INGO working environment is mandatory
- Good demonstrating ability to interact on professional level with staff, donors or government officials,
- Good experience of managing and developing a team and the ability to lead and motivate others,
- Excellent oral and written communications in English and Afaan Oromo language are mandatory.
- Experience in capacity building of staff and partners,
- Well organized, analytical and able to prioritize multiple tasks,
- Excellent IT skills, MS Office applications,
- Female candidates are highly encouraged
Safeguarding and Equal Opportunity
Islamic Relief and Islamic Relief staff considers the welfare and protection of children, young people and people at risk to be paramount to the organization. And must adhere the principle of ‘do no harm and leave no one behind.’ It is critical we do not expose communities or staff we work with to the risk of harm through our interventions. With a zero tolerance approach Islamic Relief have a number of related policies which also describe standards in behavior expected from the organization, its staff and representatives towards each other and those we serve. Islamic Relief is committed to responding swiftly, appropriately and constructively to any and all information children, young people and people at risk have disclosed.
All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks. We participate in the Inter Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme and will request information from job applicants’ previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and child abuse during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment before signing the contract agreement.
Islamic Relief believes everyone has the right to be safe, respected and valued regardless of who they are or their circumstances, and an equal employment opportunity to all candidates and qualified applicants, we do not discriminate on the base of age, sex, race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability status and diversity.
How to Apply:
- Interested candidates are required to submit a complete Job application form with all required supporting documents (copy of credentials and testimonials) through Ethiopia.HR@islamic-relief.org.et.
- You can access the Job Application Form with this link: http://www.islamic-relief.org.et/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Employment-Application-form-1.docx. Failure to follow the instructions will invalidate your application.
- Closing date for the application is October 25, 2021.
- Due to the high volume of application, we regret that we will be able to contact only the shortlisted candidates.