Terms of Reference
Legal Service Provider
Jhpiego, an affiliate of Johns Hopkins University, works to improve the health of women and families in limited-resource settings worldwide through strengthening the capacities of local institutions, systems, and facilitate in the health sector. Jhpiego is registered as International Non-Governmental Organization (iNGO) to operate in Ethiopia since 2003. Jhpiego Ethiopia is currently looking for a professional law firm or a lawyer able to provide legal services based on the contents of this Terms of Reference (TOR).
Scope of Work
The “Legal Advisor” or “Legal Firm” is expected to support Jhpiego Ethiopia on a broad range of issues, including but not limited to day-to-day legal responsibilities and providing legal advice that includes all aspects of the analysis, investigation and drafting processes. He/She is responsible for providing support in discrete legal issues by advising the organization, drafting undertakings, and structuring remedies for the relevant issues. This professional/firm may also be engaged in helping to analyze and collect evidence and schedule staff hearings. Some of the responsibilities will include, but are not limited to the following:
- Renew the necessary certificate of registration and license for the Jhpiego Ethiopia Office. This will include notifying all relevant and applicable parties and taking all the necessary steps to finalize registration renewal, to follow-up and execute with all the relevant and applicable governmental and non-governmental bodies in Ethiopia,
- Renew certificate of registration and license, to submit reports and handle all matters that relate to the Societies and Charities Agency (ChSA),
- Handle the issuance and renewal of work and residence permits for expatriate staff,
- Handle the issuance of Tax Identification Number (TIN) and national staff and expatriate taxation compliance matters,
- Handle the duty-free importation of Jhpiego Corporation materials and equipment,
- Conduct legal analysis and research on various legal matters,
- Provide advice on different legal issues and assist in drafting legal opinions, memoranda and other documents,
- Be actively involved in preparing different acts and legal submissions and draft the authoritative legal opinions as well,
- Conduct legal research by utilizing various resources and selecting the relevant material to analyze the legal information,
- Assist in reviewing the legal material and any other relevant documents and to identify the most important issues that need to be sorted out on a priority basis,
- Draw up formalities regarding the settlement of disputes and monitor the implementation of the legal clauses,
- Where and when duly authorized by Jhpiego, represent Jhpiego in legal matters including hearings,
- Render legal services to Jhpiego in the form of verbal or written legal opinions, briefs or advice,
- Handle other legal matters related to Jhpiego Corporation in Ethiopia upon written request from Jhpiego Corporation Country Director for Ethiopia.
- Review and provide any necessary recommendations regarding Jhpiego Employee Handbook, employment agreements payroll and contract termination to ensure compliance with local labor laws
- Regular legal advice to Jhpiego as needed
- At least MA degree in Law or equivalent field.
- Extensive 20 years’ experience working in the field.
- Experience working with similar INGOs.
Work Schedule and payment mode
- Upon demand – Based on the standard hourly rates and the time necessary to complete the assignment required in a professional and timely manner.
- On retainer basis (monthly)
- Written legal advice or recommendations,
- Report on legal advisory services provided,
- Update status of court appointments, hearing, ruling and related information in writing.
How to Apply
While applying for this service provision, the individual/firm is required to submit a full technical and financial proposal separately through ET-Procurement@jhpiego.org.
The Technical proposal should include CV with previous experience/qualification, including examples of previous similar experience and references.
The financial proposal should include cost separately for both option 1 and 2.
All government tax and related requirements will apply.
The deadline for applications is October 24, 2021.
Note: Please contact Kelemwork Messay at 0944109494 if you have any question.