Job Title: Lead/Senior Technical Advisor – Data Use
Position Type: Full time
Reports to: Sr. Director, Data Use, Governance & System Strengthening
Posting Location: Addis Ababa
Application Deadline: October 1, 2021
John Snow, Inc. (JSI) is a public health management firm, headquartered in the United States, dedicated to improving the health of individuals and communities throughout the world. JSI has been implementing public health work in Ethiopia for over 25 years.
JSI is implementing the five-year Digital Health Activity in Ethiopia, which is funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID). The purpose of this Activity is to support the Government of Ethiopia (GOE) to improve the quality of health services and create a sustainable health care system through the use of data for decision making, as well as to provide similar services to other countries in Africa or to respond to a crisis in Ethiopia (as needed). The primary objectives of the Activity are to 1) support information technology systems and data repository at all levels; 2) build a culture of data use; and 3) improve capacity and governance of MOH health information systems management.
We are looking for a Lead/Senior Data Use Technical Advisor who will provide technical leadership for the cultural transformation for data use for decision making activities in line with the Federal Ministry of Health’s Information Revolution Roadmap. S/he will lead activities that develop a culture of data use to inform health planning, performance management, and improved service delivery decisions across the health system.
- Responsible for designing and implementing the Activity’s data use technical strategy and interventions.
- Provide technical leadership and guidance for the field data use team in the implementation of sub-national level data quality and information use improvement interventions.
- Use innovative to catalyze improved data consumption at all levels of the health system and for a range of health system strengthening interventions.
- Collaborate with the Federal Ministry of Health (FMOH) to improve the capture, quality, visualization, use of data collected through routine HIS, surveillance, survey, and other sources.
- Support routine and ad hoc data analytics requests to support the FMOH, Pharmaceutical Fund and Supply Agency (PFSA), Ethiopian Public Health Institute, and Ethiopia Food and Drug Agency (EPSA) planning, performance management, and improved service delivery.
- Strengthen monitoring and evaluation (M&E) systems at national and sub-national levels.
- Lead development of training materials and its delivery to improve the culture of information use at different levels in the health system.
- Regularly review mentorship guidelines and checklists, analyze the data collected during DHA mentorship visits and provide feedback for the field team.
- Compile RDQA reports and generate national level synthesized report every quarter.
- Build the capacity of health science colleges, universities and partners in data use.
- Build capacity of the data use team at national level through training and mentorship.
- Actively participate in relevant Technical Working Groups (TWGs) formed by FMoH to improve the management of national health management information system and the data quality assurance activities.
- Write the data use section of regular and ad hoc DHA reports to USAID and the government.
- Supervising and guiding a team of technical staff supporting data use at national level.
- Responsible for enforcing JSI’s Accountability Framework and Code of Conduct, and adhering to JSI’s polices on fraud management.
- Any other responsibilities, as assigned.
- An advanced degree (Masters or above) in public health, health informatics, health monitoring and evaluation, or a related social science field.
- Have a hands-on experience in health information management system design and strong analytical and presentation skills, with analysis of statistical significance or survey results.
- At a minimum, the Data Use Advisor should have 5 years of experience managing data quality and information use improvement activities.
- Demonstrated experience with projects that cross multiple program areas and have conflicting needs, require integration of multiple non-structured data from multiple sources and triangulate the data to generate evidence and insights.
- Previous experience with USAID and other similar donor organizations, specifically in Ethiopia.
- Previous experience working with Government of Ethiopia stakeholders, specifically the FMOH is desirable.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as part of a team and strong interpersonal skills are essential.
- Ability to take imitative and work under minimal supervision.
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills in Amharic and English required.
JSI/WEI is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer committed to workplace diversity. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all qualified applicants and employees without regard to age, race, color, national origin, ancestry, creed, religion, gender, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, sexual preference, genetic information, political affiliation, or protected veteran status in any employment decisions. M/F/V/D.
How to apply:
Interested and qualified applicants should follow the below instruction and apply through the online application form no later than October 1, 2021.
- Fill out the online application form using this form: Online Application Form. If you don’t fill the online application form, your application will not be considered.
- Submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
- You must include the name of the position you are applying for in the subject line of the email. If this is not included, your application will not be considered.
- Any application received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Application deadline: October 1, 2021.