§ Uphold the humanitarian principles of humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and independence.
§ Respect the SP values at all times, both within and outside of working hours.
§ Be prepared to work in North Wollo different IDP sites and to relocate at short notice.
§ Work closely with all members of the health team to provide the highest possible quality of care.
§ Treat all patients and their relatives with respect and dignity.
§ Maintain confidentiality for all patients.
According to medical prescription, prepare and perform clinical exams/tests with appropriate techniques and following SP and DOH protocols and procedures. This function includes, among others:
▪ Collecting samples as necessary.
▪ Perform laboratory exams (serology, hematology, biochemistry, bacteriology or parasitological, according to context of the mission).
▪ Ensure proper reporting and registration of the sample results in order to keep a written track of activity and give information to the relevant persons, ensuring confidentiality.
▪ Keep organized the data collection system of laboratory results and all information generated from the analysis done.
▪ Take care, manage and organize efficiently the laboratory material/equipment.
▪ Apply hygiene and safety protocols, doing daily cleaning /maintenance, sterilization, washing general glassware after procedures are done.
▪ Ensuring proper sample waste disposal according to SP protocols and highest safety standards.
▪ Supply orders, do stock, storage conditions follow-up, keep inventory.
▪ Ensure that infection control measures are followed at all times maintaining high level of cleanliness.
▪ Assist with additional duties after appropriate training and as requested by HPM.
▪ Capacity building MMNU pharmacy/health staff in correct prescriptions, correct dispensing, patient education, adverse side effect education and management, warehouse/storage management, stock supply management, procurement/requesting of medications, strengthening the supply chain by advocating to RHB together with MMNU staff.
▪ Submit weekly stock reports, indicating which items are near to expiry and/or minimum stock levels
▪ Submit weekly temperature and humidity reports
▪ Conduct a physical inventory of all stock on a monthly basis
▪ Regularly communicates with the HPM and MC to relay general flow, success, and challenges of the medical clinic.
▪ Adhere to SP security management plan
▪ Ensure that the lab is locked at all times
▪ Ensure that no unauthorized persons are admitted to the lab
▪ Report any security incidents or concerns to HPM immediately
▪ Work closely with line manager to implement anti-fraud and loss measures in the warehouse
Communication and Coordination –
▪ Interpret as necessary between Local language and English for the HPM and Health TA.
▪ Coordinate and Liaise with members of the SP health management team and clinical team to ensure all objectives of the health program are met.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Attention to detail, anticipation and follow up are core values of the job function.
2. Possesses strong organizational and problem solving skills.
3. Must be a self-starter and internally driven to success and hard work.
4. Possesses strong cross-cultural communication skills, both written and verbal.
5. Must be a humble team player
6. Ability to be flexible and adaptable.
7. Willingness to travel in and out of the field.
8. Must have analytical writing skills
9. Computer literate with good skills in common Microsoft office programs
10. High level of integrity and stewardship
11. Committed to the SP values and ethics
Education / Experience Needed
▪ Essential Laboratory Technician diploma /degree
▪ At least two years of post-qualification experience working in a clinical setting
▪ Prefer previous experience working for an NGO in primary health care
· English, required
· Amharic, required
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral diagram, or schedule form.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical demands will be dependent upon situation and event.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
o Work in a security context that is fluid
This is a non-contractual document that can be varied from time to time as circumstances dictate. This job description is intended to summarize the main duties and responsibilities of the post; this is not intended to be a full and exhaustive list of tasks. All SP staff is expected to demonstrate flexibility and willingness to perform appropriate tasks when the need arises.
How to Apply
Interested applicants can send only updated CV and application letter to email@example.com no later than October 2, 2022. Please write the position title you are applying for in the email subject line, “Laboratory Technician”
This Position is for 3 Month Contract with possible of Extension.