We are seeking to appoint a full-time Lab team lead to be based in Addis Ababa, with frequent travel to the field site located close to Debre Birhan and Shewa Robit towns and field facilities. The Lab lead will set-up and lead the HaSET Maternal and Child Health Research Program Laboratory system that would deliver reliable scientific output in the BIRHAN field site. HaSET is a collaboration between St. Paul’s Hospital Millennium Medical College, the Ethiopian Public Health Institute, and Harvard University. The post holder will be an integral part of the HaSET team and lead the laboratory activities for HaSET, he/she will be responsible for oversighting, quality assurance, managing and tracking laboratory related program activities.
St. Paul’s Hospital Millennium Medical College, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
The Medical School opened in 2007; it is intended to alleviate the severe shortage of medical doctors in the country. In line with various encouraging efforts performed by the Ethiopian Federal Ministry of Health in this regard, it is clear that the newly opened school, with a practical modular and integrated curriculum will be providing much-needed medical professionals to the people of Ethiopia.
Harvard University, USA
Harvard University traces its roots to public health activism. The faculty commits themselves to research as well as teaching. The University produces knowledge through research, reproduces knowledge through higher education, and translates knowledge into evidence that can be communicated to the public, policymakers, and practitioners to advance the health of populations.
HaSET Maternal and Child Health Research Program
The HaSET (“happiness” in Amharic) Global Maternal and Child Health Research Program generates evidence to improve maternal and child health programs and policies. Within the HaSET research program are several nested sub-studies, including the Antenatal Care/Postnatal Care Research Collective (ARC) and the BIRHAN Maternal and Child Morbidity and Mortality Surveillance program, aimed at understanding the causes of maternal and child morbidity and mortality in Ethiopia. Research takes place at the BIRHAN field site in North Shewa Zone, Ethiopia. The BIRHAN and ARC studies are a joint partnership between St. Paul’s Hospital Millennium Medical College in Ethiopia and Harvard University.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The post-holder will work full-time in Addis Ababa. The position requires regular interaction with the investigators, data managers and analysts, software developers, research manager, clinical research coordinator, catchment facilities and reference laboratories. The post-holder will be responsible for developing and maintaining HaSET’s lab system including sample collection, transportation, laboratory logistics, investigation and result sharing system in collaboration with the field team and other HaSET staff members. The post-holder will also closely collaborate with and mentor Debre Birhan Hospital and other research site facility laboratory staff to build capacity in new diagnostics.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work with site leadership to initiate equipment evaluation protocols, write up laboratory aspects of clinical evaluation protocols, and implement biorepository protocols in the capacity of principal investigator.
- Make the necessary preparation for the new test menu as part of the lab road map/implementation plan to produce reliable laboratory data.
- Build collaboration with collaborating laboratory partners. other private or government lab to advance the objective of the HaSET laboratory system.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the HaSET MNCH research program PI.
Laboratory System Management
- Oversee all the laboratory activities and programs to ensure appropriate support to HaSET MNCH research studies and other sub-studies
- Strengthen and support (training, supervise, establishing quality systems, etc) for the HaSET MNCH research program laboratory system
- Build relationships with Debre Birhan hospital and laboratory management, as well as health facility management, to ensure support for lab and diagnostics capacity strengthening.
- Supervise all laboratory team to ensure smooth running of the program
- Design, plan, develop, implement, review all laboratory related documents including protocols, reports, budgets, and staff appraisals.
- Ensure maintenance of the laboratory Quality Management System and laboratory standards, and ensure all laboratory work is conducted in accordance with principles of Good Clinical Laboratory Practice (GCLP).
- Present or represent the HaSET program at scientific meetings at the request of the PI or co-PIs
Scientific, Publication and Grant writing
- Lead review of laboratory related manuscripts, including mentoring of laboratory staff to develop scientific and writing skills.
- Develop and write individual or group concepts, leading to scientific manuscripts/publications or abstracts for scientific journals and gatherings.
- Protocol preparation, design, review and submission to Centre scientific committee, including coordinating responses to comments arising from submitted manuscripts/protocols to the IRB.
- Contribute to the development of new grant proposals
This job description reflects the present requirements of the post but may be altered at any time in the future, as duties and responsibilities change and/or develop providing there is full consultation with the post-holder. The post-holder will carry out any other duties, tasks or responsibilities as reasonably requested by PI and investigators.
Duration of contract: 1 year with likely extension
- PHD or Masters Degree in Microbiology/Infectious disease/ Molecular Pathology/Medical laboratory Technology or related fields.
- Understanding of clinical tests including DNA PCR, quantification of viral load, STI serological diagnosis, blood chemistry, complete blood count, hormonal panel, dried blood spots, other laboratory tests and analysis of hematological parameters in a clinical setting.
- Registration with the appropriate regulatory body to practice in Clinical Facilities
- At least three years proven experience in advanced Diagnostic Microbiology Tests,
- Two or more years proven experience in leadership position in on surveillance, or Two or more years proven experience in leadership position of a laboratory project or other similar role
- Experience providing technical oversight and scientific leadership for clinical trials, operational research, and implementation science protocols.
- Good communication skills, judgment in problem solving, awareness of own limitations and strong internal motivation.
- Experience in managing a laboratory including quality assurance and quality control.
- Experience in scientific writing.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified applicants should:
- Must fill out the attached form
- Submit their CV, Cover letter and Credentials
- Via e-mail to email@example.com
- Via post office to Saint Paul’s Millennium Medical College, P.O.Box 1271, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. OR
- In-person to Saint Paul’s Millennium Medical College Human Resource department.
- The subject of your email must be “Apply: HaSET Laboratory Team Lead”
The file name of your cover letter should be in the format [Your Name Cover Letter]
The file name of your CV should be in the format [Your Name CV]
Closing Date: Within 10 working days of the announcement of this vacancy
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted