Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Employment Category: H1
Reporting To: HR and Admin Manager
Start of Contract & Duration: March 31, 2023
Required Employee: 1
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), an international non-governmental organization (NGO), has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. DRC promotes and supports solutions to the problems faced by refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs), and migrants. The organization has offices across the region and has been operational in Ethiopia since 2009. With funding from bilateral and multilateral donors, DRC is currently implementing a range of activities across Ethiopia and Djibouti, including WASH and shelter provision, child and youth protection, gender-based violence response, awareness-raising of migration risks, protection monitoring of migration routes, and livelihoods support for returning migrants or those at-risk of migration.
OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is leading an international consortium to deliver a £21 million program to protect would-be migrants and refugees from unsafe irregular migration through and from the Ethiopia. The 4-year program, funded by the UK Aid (FCDO) will address barriers to reducing unsafe irregular migration from and through Ethiopia. The program is anticipated to be innovative, cross-sectoral and solutions-oriented with strong emphasis on research, learning and adaptive management.
Working under the direct management HR manager and matrix management with EMP Prog Ops Manager, the HR and Admin Officer will be responsible for the following activities:
- Ensure timely payment of EMP Info Hubs(IH) rent and utilities and ensure these are appropriate, safe and functional (i.e. generator, security system, health and safety. communication & internets, photocopies etc.)
- Work with relevant support function to ensure timely maintenance of equipment and office supplies.
- Responsible for setting appointments, arranging meetings, maintaining calendars, copying files, entering data into computer systems.
- Act as a focal point for travel and accommodation and transportation of programme staff, ensuring documentation and maintaining accurate records of related expenses.
- Maintain updated records of EMP programme and office supplies
- Maintain a thorough Knowledge of DRC HR policies and ensure employee adherence.
- Ensure personnel files are complete and accurate assuring adherence to highest level of confidentiality
- Maintain updated Job description database
- Oversee leave management, maintain leave tracking ensuring complete documentation for programme staff
Management of HR processes:
- Assist in the recruitment process ensuring compliance to hiring procedures as outlined in the HR manual.
- Facilitate recruitment processes by posting job adverts, collect applications from applicants, administering tests; verifying prior employment by contacting references; scheduling appointments; maintaining records and information.
- Maintain tracking system of the recruitment process and compile monthly report on recruitment
- Facilitate the timely orientation of new staff and organize inductions with relevant departments within DRC
- Provide professional advice to project managers on a range of HR issues ensuring compliance to hiring procedures as outlined in the HR & Administration manual.
- Ensure the performance management system is implemented on time.
- Assist in development of annual staff development plan
- Timely enrollment of staff in to insurance benefits package.
- Assuring staff list is current at all times
- Any other tasks as assigned by the line manager
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master
DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Experience and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- 4 years’ experience for Diploma or above 2-year experience for BA holders
- High integrity, pro-active, stable, robust character and a good team-player
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent analytical and negotiation skills
- Experience in working in NGOs
- Proven commitment to accountability practices.
- Knowledge of computers: word processing, database management packages.
EDUCATION: (include certificates, licenses, etc.)
- BA in Human Resource Management or other relevant fields.
LANGUAGE: (indicate fluency level)
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit an updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on https://candidate.hr-manager.net/ApplicationInit.aspx?cid=1036&ProjectId=164921&DepartmentId=19012&MediaId=5&IsAdPreviewRequest=true&AdvertisementId=119929 under Vacancies.
Please forward the application and CV, in English through the stated website no later than July 7, 2022.
For general information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult www.drc.ngo
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, colour, race, marital status, or other protected characteristics
We encourage only qualified Ethiopian Nationals to apply. DRC considers all applicants based on merit.
DRC as an employer
By working in DRC, you will be joining a global workforce of around 8000 employees in 40 countries. We pride ourselves on our:
- Professionalism, impact & expertise
- Humanitarian approach & the work we do
- Purpose, meaningfulness & own contribution
- Culture, values & strong leadership
- Fair compensation & continuous development
Providing equal opportunities
We are committed to creating an inclusive and positive work environment based on mutual respect for all employees. All applicants are considered for employment without attention to race, age, ability, ethnicity, nationality, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other factor. At DRC we celebrate diversity and appreciate our employees for the people they are and their unique skills, backgrounds, and perspectives. We encourage all interested candidates to apply.