Title: HR and Admin Team Leader
Location: Jigjiga, Ethiopia
Employment Category: G
Reporting To: Area Manager
Start of Contract & Duration: One Year
Posting date: September 14, 2021
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), an international non-governmental organization (NGO), has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. DRC promotes and supports solutions to the problems faced by refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs), and migrants. The organization has offices across the region, and has been operational in Ethiopia since 2009. With funding from bilateral and multilateral donors, DRC is currently implementing a range of activities across Ethiopia and Djibouti, including WASH and shelter provision, child and youth protection, Gender based violence response, awareness-raising of migration risks, protection monitoring of migration routes, and livelihoods support for returning migrants or those at-risk of migration.
OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
The Team Leader – HR and Administration is responsible for performing general administration functions, managing administration staff and play a key role in the overall HR functions including staff recruitment, contracts management, skills development, performance management, orientation, timesheet tracking and.
The HR and Administration Assistant plays a key role in supporting DRC Jigjiga staffing needs and works closely with all managers and supporting the Area manager
- Ensure timely payment of office rent and utilities
- Ensure all office utilities and infrastructures are appropriate, safe and functioning (i.e. generator, security system, health and safety. communication & internets, photocopies etc)
- Oversee all aspects of maintaining the DRC office inform the logistics of any repairs and /or service as required
- Manage the support staff (office cleaner and cooks, guards)
Guest house and DRC – leased houses management
- Oversee all aspect of maintaining the DRC guest house and DRC leased houses
- Ensure rentals and all utilities are paid on timely basis
- Ensure all utilities and amenities are functioning at all times
- Act as focal point with landlords/property managers on day – to – day basis as necessary
- Make periodic visits to the guest house to check on status, and advise logistics as necessary
- Maintain a thorough Knowledge of DRC HR policies and ensure employee adherence
- Act as focal point on all issues related HR policies, and educate staff on policies through staff meetings in the FO
- Ensure personnel files are complete and accurate assuring adherence to highest level of confidentiality
- Maintain updated Job description database
- Oversee leave management, maintain leave tracking ensuring complete documentation for all staff movement
- Assist in the recruitment process ensuring compliance to hiring procedures as outlined in the HR manual
- Maintain tracking system of the recruitment process and compile monthly report on recruitment
- Facilitate the timely orientation of new staff
Management of HR processes: –
- Provide professional advice to project managers on a range of HR issues
- Ensure the performance management system is implemented on time
- Assist in development of annual staff development plan
- Compile monthly report for submission to the finance and Administration coordinator Salary & Benefits
- Process statutory payment and ensure monthly and annual returns are submitted on timely basis
- Timely enrolment of staff in to insurance benefits package. Assuring staff list is current at all times
- Monitor expiry of staff contract and advice AM/finance & Admin Coordinator on timely basis
- The recruitment processes ensuring compliance to hiring procedures as outlined in the HR & Administration manual
- Facilitate recruitment processes by posting job adverts, collect applications from applicants, administering tests; verifying prior employment by contacting references; scheduling appointments; maintaining records and information
- Welcomes new employees to the organization by conducting induction and orientation
- Maintain recruitment tracking system and compile monthly report on recruitment
- Maintain updated job description database
- Oversee leave and R&R management, maintain leave tracking ensuring complete documentation for all staff movement
- Ensure the performance management system is implemented and completed on time
- Assist in development of annual staff development plan.
Administration and Office Management:
- Provides office management secretarial tasks by entering, formatting, and printing information; organizing work schedules of support staff;; maintaining equipment and office supplies
- Responsible for setting appointments, arranging meetings, maintaining calendars, copying files, entering data into computer systems
- Assure staff living conditions are comfortable and make recommendations for improvement as necessary
- Oversee administration tasks related to housing and office management
- Maintain travel documents and arrange accommodation airport pic up and drop for guests
- Supervise the HR/Admin Assistant and housekeeping and catering staff
Experience and Technical Competencies: (include years of experience)
- Minimum of 3 years of HR and Admin experience preferably with an INGO.
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
- Demonstrated organizational skills and ability to work in complex and difficult circumstances.
- High level of personal initiative, analytical skills and pro-active problem solving.
- Demonstrated people’s management skills. Strong interpersonal skills and ability to develop and maintain working relationships across the organization.
- Be a team player
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Commitment to learning and implementing organizational policies and procedures.
- Excellent Proficiency in MS office packages
Education (include certificates, licenses etc.):
- College Degree/Diploma in human resources, management, or relevant field
Languages: (indicate fluency level)
- Excellent verbal and written proficiency in English and Somali
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
- Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: Acting in line with DRC’s vision and values
How to Apply
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.ngo under Vacancies.
Please forward the application and CV, in English through the stated website no later than September 21, 2021.
For general information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult www.drc.ngo
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, colour, race, marital status or other protected characteristics
We encourage only qualified Ethiopian Nationals to apply. DRC considers all applicants based on merit.