FH Ethiopia is a non-governmental organization engaged in relief and development activities. At FH, we operate under a set of guiding principles we call the “The Heartbeat”. This includes our Values, Vision and Purpose, which serve as the explanation of who we are and how we work as organization. Together we follow God’s call responding to human suffering and graduating communities from extreme poverty. FH Ethiopia would like to invite potential internal and external candidates to apply for the following position:
Position: Health and Nutrition Officer – RFSA
Duty Station: East Belessa & Sede Muja (Amhara Region)
Duration of Contract: One-year contract, Renewable (with 60 working days probation period)
Salary: As per the salary scale of the organization
Closing date: October 30, 2021
Responsible to plan, implement, monitor, report, and generally be responsible for the effective implementation of FHE Health and Nutrition Program in RFSA in the area of Essential Nutrition Action (ENA), Essential Hygiene Action (EHA) and Maternal Neonatal and Child Health (MNCH).
Key Result #1 – Planning, Coordination and implementation
1. Plan, coordinate and ensure the implementation of the FH/E NEFAP health Program focusing on nutrition and hygiene & sanitation, targeting mothers and under five children and produce timely reports
2. Ensure that hygiene and sanitation related activities with emphasis to community led total sanitation (CLTS) are effectively implemented as planned.
3. Work jointly with the NEFAP agriculture and capacity building officer and water engineer to ensure effective implementation of the livelihood activities.
4. Develops appropriate IEC materials related to health in close discussion with the NEFAP Project Health Coordinator.
5. Gather health and Nutrition related information from Governmental, Non-Governmental and other appropriate sources at the district level and share it among project staff and FH/E.
Key Result #2 – Capacity building and technical support
1. Plan, organize, and facilitate/conduct various training and educational sessions on ENA, MNCH and EHA for animators, health extension workers and to other key stakeholders.
2. Implement the Care Group Model to reach households with pregnant women and young children to share health and sanitation information and encourage behavior to enhance child wellbeing.
3. Manage staff under his/her supervision and provide technical support for staff under his/her responsibility: hygiene and sanitation facilitators, community health animators and promoters.
Key Result #3 – Monitoring, evaluation and reporting
1. Conducts regular monitoring of activities to ensure the effective implementation of the health and Nutrition program, and communicates timely with a possible recommendation in case of any deviation.
2. Facilitates and takes the lead in mini-KPC, anthropometry, barrier analysis and other surveys conducted at the operational area.
3. Guide staff under the supervision in periodic reporting of activities and results.
Ensure that periodic reports are prepared to the required standards and submitted to the immediate supervisor in a timely manner.
FH strives to provide an environment free from sexual exploitation and abuse and harassment in all places where relief and development programs are implemented. FH holds a zero-tolerance policy against sexual exploitation and abuse and harassment. FH expects its employees to maintain high ethical standards, protect organizational integrity and reputation, and ensure that FH work is carried out in honest and fair methods, in alignment with the FH Heartbeat and safeguarding and associated policies. Violations to stated policies will be subject to corrective action up to and including termination of employment.
⮚ Provide adequate time to staff to participate in gender sensitivity workshops and related events.
⮚ Through observation, interviews, and spot-checks, ensure that the staff planning process is gender sensitive.
⮚ Build a better gender balance in staffing through affirmative action.
⮚ Observe if women staff are as involved as men in high-profile activities such as interaction with visitors and chairing meetings, and take corrective action if warranted.
⮚ Encourage female staff to participate in external networks (local and regional), as well as seminars and cross visits.
⮚ Facilitate open and regular discussions with staff on about the work environment, policies, and values convenient to gender issues.
⮚ Within each project and department, discuss FH’s Gender & Diversity and Sexual Harassment and sexual exploitation Policies, so that all staff are conversant with them.
⮚ Refrain from any comments or gestures that indicate prejudicial views of female staff, especially female supervisors.
⮚ In each Project and Head Office, ask women staff what changes would make it more “gender-friendly”, organization and implement the recommendations
Safety & Security Responsibility
⮚ Encourages compliance of Safety and Security principles and policies of the organization by all staffs;
⮚ Visiting project Offices and operational areas periodically to meet staff and making sure that all staff members are aware of the safety and security procedures;
⮚ Explains to staffs the reasoning behind the organization’s safety and security policies and procedures
⮚ Organizing local training sessions, such as First Aid, Fire Safety, and Defensive Driving for staff members. If possible, he/she should conduct briefing and training sessions himself/herself;
⮚ Ensures that safety and security objectives are added to performance reviews and evaluations of all staff members;
⮚ Encourages staff to adopt safe and secure practices. Ensuring that updated personnel information related to safety (Record of Emergency Data) and security management are kept in Human resources.
Job Level Specifications
⮚ Full agreement with FH’s Christian foundation and beliefs as expressed in The Heartbeat: our Values, Vision, and Purpose.
⮚ Ability to communicate with organization members.
⮚ Physical fitness to operate in and different weather environment.
⮚ Shows a positive attitude that contributes to a good working atmosphere in the office
⮚ Maintain or retain confidential internal information of the organization.
⮚ Three years relevant work experience. NGO experience is preferred
⮚ BSc. Degree in Public Health or Nursing or related fields
⮚ Proactive personality & and self-initiative.
⮚ Proficiency in spoken and written English language.
How to Apply
Women Candidates are highly encouraged to apply
Competent candidates can submit ONLY their application and CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Candidates MUST refer the position title “Health and Nutrition Officer – RFSA” on the subject line of their email and applications.