September 16, 2021
Post Title: Health and Nutrition Assistant
Report to: Health and Nutrition Officer
Duty Station: Oromia Regional State, Chiro/Meayso and Gombi Bordede
Salary: As per the organizations scale
Required: Two (one for each woredas)
Duration: One year with possible extension
Islamic Relief is an international relief and development charity founded in 1984 with its headquarters in Birmingham. UK. As well as responding to disasters and emergencies, Islamic Relief promotes sustainable economic and social development by working with local communities – regardless of race, religion or gender. The office officially started its operation in Ethiopia in 2004. Islamic Relief Ethiopia (IRE) is operational in the Somali Regional State with a base office in Hargelle, Elkere, Bare and Dekasuftu; Afar Regional State: Ewa and Gulina, Oromia Regional State; Chiro and Meayso and an additional operational office in Addis Ababa. For more information please visit our website: http://www.islamic-relief.org/work-with-us.
The Health and Nutrition Promoter will be responsible for planning and implementation of household and community health and nutrition education in Islamic Relief’s health and nutrition operation area in Chiro/Meayso and Gumbibordode woreda , focusing on both IDPs and vulnerable host communities. The Health & Nutrition Promoter will coordinate with the Community Mobilisation, Assistant to deliver key health/nutrition messages through effective community engagement with a focus on a health and nutrition. He/She will deliver key health/nutrition messages through VSLA /SHG, support behaviour change and food preparation – demonstration using locally available food groups.
KEY ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Promote community based nutrition and health messages in areas of operation by spending time with communities (including in child-friendly and literacy-friendly ways).
· Plan and Implement household and community health and nutrition education with health Extension workers to ensure that pregnant and lactating women are engaged in the project.
· Conduct community sensitization meeting with influential people of community for the smooth running of Nutrition Services.
· Participate in registration of pregnant and lactating mothers to be included in the VSLA/SHG
· Undertake delivery of health and nutrition key messaging and regular community meetings and promote the services on offer by using VSLA /SHG platform
· Participate in the capacity building activities of the project and deliver trainings where appropriate.
· Lead on the planning and delivery of awareness-raising campaigns that focus on key health and nutrition messaging.
· Promote the importance of maternal and newborn health and nutrition including attachment, stimulation and wellbeing in situations of malnutrition and new born health
· Collect and track weekly data at community level, including the results of MUAC screening during house-to-house visits, in accordance with IR standard nutrition statistical reporting forms
· Submit weekly nutrition and health report to the Monitoring & Evaluation Officer/Health and Nutrition Officer
· By closely working with health extension workers ,Identify and refer selected malnourished children and pregnant/lactating women to OTP/SC or TSFP
· Counselling and sensitization activities on malnutrition prevention
· Meeting with health extension workers on a weekly basis to share information, identify trends and align messages
· Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modeling in IR values
· Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
· Identify barriers to access and inform the Health and Nutrition Officer.
· Expand target participants beyond PLW to include young adolescent girls by using schools as a platform.
· Using interactive training modules, plan and implement nutrition component of the project with a focus on improving dietary diversity; essential care to mothers during pregnancy, delivery and postpartum; reproductive health and family planning; and prevention and care-seeking health actions
· Support the preparation of learning materials and IEC materials/ training modules tailored with nutrition key messages for dietary diversity practice and promotion
· Ensure the compilation of attendance lists and project documentation when required.
· Documents and shares lessons/results of nutrition work
· Enhance the awareness and knowledge of traditional leaders/influential on women empowerment.
· Support development facilitators to promote Basic nutrition education.
· Support development facilitators to roll out nutrition messaging
· Perform other duties assigned by the Field supervisor or Health and Nutrition Officer.
Education, Competencies and Experience Requirements
· Bachelor’s degree in Human Nutrition, Public Health, Nursing or similar fields
· Minimum 2 years field NGO experience in development and humanitarian settings , including significant experience in implementing CMAM ,IYCF programs and other nutrition project including Nutrition Sensitive and other Nutrition Specific interventions
· Experience of community-based nutrition projects and familiarity of the area is desirable
· Interpersonal skills & excellent team player.
· Fluency in written and spoken English and Afan Oromo language is (Mandatory)
· Committed to work with rural poor and willing to work under pressure
· NGO experience is an asset
· This job description is not intended to be all inclusive and the employee will also perform other related tasks as required and communicate progress and achievement of the specific assigned task
· Inform the Health and Nutrition Officer of any professional problems encountered
· Conduct all duties in a professional manner following Islamic Relief staff regulations
· Handle multiple tasks on an on-going basis, and adapt to a shift or change in priorities, including the ability to work a flexible work schedule as needed
· Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
Safeguarding and Equal Opportunity
Islamic Relief and Islamic Relief staff considers the welfare and protection of children, young people and people at risk to be paramount to the organization. And must adhere the principle of ‘do no harm and leave no one behind.’ It is critical we do not expose communities or staff we work with to the risk of harm through our interventions. With a zero tolerance approach Islamic Relief have a number of related policies which also describe standards in behavior expected from the organization, its staff and representatives towards each other and those we serve. Islamic Relief is committed to responding swiftly, appropriately and constructively to any and all information children, young people and people at risk have disclosed.
All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks. We participate in the Inter Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme and will request information from job applicants’ previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and child abuse during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment before signing the contract agreement.
Islamic Relief believes everyone has the right to be safe, respected and valued regardless of who they are or their circumstances, and an equal employment opportunity to all candidates and qualified applicants, we do not discriminate on the base of age, sex, race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability status and diversity.
How to Apply
· Interested candidates are required to submit a complete Job application form with all required supporting documents (copy of credentials and testimonials) through Ethiopia.HR@islamic-relief.org.et.
· You can access the Job Application Form with this link: http://www.islamic-relief.org.et/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Employment-Application-form-1.docx. Failure to follow the instructions will invalidate your application.
· Closing date for the application is September 30, 2021.
· Due to the high volume of application, we regret that we will be able to contact only the shortlisted candidates.