I. JOB SUMMARY:
Amref Health Africa in Ethiopia is seeking a Gender and Social Inclusion Advisor to provide technical leadership and support for its USAID funded Integrated Youth Activity (IYA) in Ethiopia. The Advisor will serve as a lead contact person concerning gender and social inclusion related activities for the project. The candidate will provide technical oversight and support for IYA’s gender equality and social inclusion (GESI) work, integrating GESI across the Activity’s thematic areas and implementing partners. This advisor will oversee and support the gender and social analysis, and gender audit exercises working closely with program team and partners. The ideal candidate will have extensive experience working in the development sector in Ethiopia and with gender and social inclusion integration in youth programming. The position is based in the Addis Ababa Country office with travel to project areas as necessary.
II. DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Gender and Social Inclusion Advisor will have the following duties and responsibilities:
· Lead and IYA’s core gender and inclusion principles and values are understood and adhered to by project management, partners, staff, volunteers, visitors, and interns;
· Lead development and oversee implementation of the project’s overall gender and social inclusion strategy, ensuring alignment to IYA’s requirements and standards;
· Collaborate with project team and implementing partners to ensure the integration of gender, youth, and social inclusion concepts and approaches into all project activities, including technical implementation, monitoring, operations, policies and procedures;
· Provide technical advice and training to project staff, partners and stakeholders to build their capacity to integrate gender, youth and other relevant social inclusion considerations into designing interventions, as well as implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the program/Activity;
· Lead the design and implementation of gender, youth, and social inclusion analysis, baseline assessment and other learning studies;
· Support development and review of project work plans, training curriculum, publication materials and other documents, with attention to gender and social inclusion dimensions of activities and operations, and discuss GESI issues and priorities with project senior management and other technical specialists;
· Provide technical leadership and support gender equity, social inclusion, and child safeguarding across all program areas; Provide technical support in gender and social inclusion to all project implementing partners;
· Provide technical support in setting up youth friendly service provision focusing on gender and inclusion of young marginalized groups and beneficiaries; Develop quality improvement and beneficiary feedback mechanisms across service providers to ensure friendly and inclusive service provision;
· Support partners’ gender and social analysis exercise to identify key barriers and work on follow-up actions;
· Conduct periodic audit to ensure consortium partners’ work aligns with gender and social inclusion priorities and provide guidance on how to integrate identified issues into the project activities; provide technical support to youth coalitions to institute both gender and inclusion of vulnerable groups at the center of their effort and organization;
· Support consortium-member staff in implementing gender transformative programming.
Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning
· Review and provide input into the project’s MEL plan/framework, data collection tools and MEL guidance to ensure that MEL practices are gender sensitive and the project is capturing gendered outputs and outcomes;
· Support the MEL team to ensure that all data is disaggregated by sex, age, disability, etc. in data collection processes, analysis and reporting;
· Support the project team to develop gender-sensitive and social inclusion-focused quantitative and qualitative indicators and learning questions to ensure that the project reports on gender and social inclusion outcomes and impact;
· Support the preparation of reports and documents for submission to both internal and external recipients, including USAID;
· Write, coordinate, and disseminate lesson learning among teams and project stakeholders, through gender and inclusion lenses.
Representation and Coordination
· Actively engage in technical working groups and other relevant forums, and promote strengthening of collaboration and teamwork among partners and dissemination of learning and best practices related to gender and social inclusion;
· At the request of the CD, COP/DCOP, represent IYA with the Ethiopian government, UN agencies, other donors, Ethiopian Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) and partner NGOs;
- Travel to project target areas when requested to support field project and gender and social inclusion related activities;
- Carry out other duties as assigned by management;
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in gender studies, development studies, sociology, psychology, law, international development, or other relevant social science field. Master’s degree preferred;
- Minimum of 10 years prior work experience and demonstrated practical skills in the NGO sector, preferably in Ethiopia or another African country. At least five years of senior level experience in gender, social inclusion, and/or youth programming with appropriate gender and social inclusion expertise;
- Knowledge of proven approaches and best practices for gender and social inclusion for women, children and other vulnerable groups; in-depth knowledge of gender, youth, and other social inclusion considerations (constraints and opportunities) in Ethiopia;
- Proven experience conducting gender and social inclusion analyses and gender audits;
- Knowledge of do no harm, women’s empowerment, and positive youth development frameworks and approaches;
- Previous USAID-funded project experience preferred;
- Strong training facilitation skills; Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and Amharic is mandatory.
- Strong strategic management and leadership skills;
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of project cycle management.
How to Apply
If you would like to join Amref’s team, please quote the position/reference number in the subject matter and send your CV and application letter with remuneration requirements and contact details of three work-related referees, through Etrecruitment@amref.org, or to the Human Resources Department, Amref Health Africa by P.O Box 20855/1000, Addis Ababa.
The closing date for submitting applications is September 26, 2021. We regret that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Ø Telephone call to the office is strongly forbidden.
Ø Candidates MUST refer the position title on the subject line of their email and application.
Ø Amref Health Africa is an equal opportunity employer and has a non-smoking environment policy.