The Telehealth & Program Technology Team is responsible for technology support of Orbis programs, which includes the Telehealth and distance learning platform—Cybersight. The team is also responsible for guiding and supporting partner organizations’ efforts in healthcare technology management.
The team focuses on integrating Cybersight with Orbis programs across the world and work together to expand Orbis’s clinical, educational and technology initiatives while developing long-term relationships with physicians, telehealth-partnering hospitals, educators, and IT & communications specialists. The team also closely monitors trends and new innovations in the healthcare technology and public health space that should be nurtured in order to revolutionize practice in the low-resource settings we serve.
The Front-end UX/UI Engineer is a new role within Orbis that recognizes the potential of digital platforms to transform blindness prevention, and indeed the practice of medicine globally, and responds to two key goals in our 2019-2021 global strategic plan: Goal 1 Develop, implement and promote efficient & impactful models of comprehensive eye care and Goal 3 Be recognized as the most trusted, inspiring partner in global ophthalmology.
As a member of the Telehealth & Program Technology Team, the FEUx/UI Engineer is the lead designer of class-leading user experiences and UIs for our suite of digital services for eye health professionals in 140 low- and middle-income countries around the world.
It is equal parts theory and practice: this position conceptualizes, analyzes, tests and refines user experiences for our platforms, but is also directly responsible for developing and implementing the UI for them. It works within a small team of internal software engineers who are committed to creating great platforms and applications for the communities we serve.
REPORTING & WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
The FEUx/UI Engineer reports to the Principle Architect and is based within the Telehealth & Program Technology engineering team. This position also works closely with Orbis program colleagues around the world, in-field partner institutions and health-professional end users around the world.
- Contribute to the achievement of our adoption and growth goals by relentlessly pursuing continuous improvement in all that we do. Do you think five seconds it too long to wait? So do we.
- Craft best-in-class mobile experiences in our mobile app, knowing that 80% of our users are on mobile.
- Recognize that our success comes from both form and function. Functionality is first, but it must be intuitive and beautiful too.
- Conjure a vision for UX across our product portfolio and set out principles and good practices to be implemented in collaboration with colleagues from the engineering team.
The duty station will be the country where the selected candidate resides and serves remotely
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Degree or a combination of relevant experience and additional training in UX, UI and software engineering
- Minimum of 3 years in a front-end engineering role
- Experience working across both web applications and native mobile applications
- Experience working with wireframing and mockup creation tools
SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Genuine interest in public health and “technology for good”.
- Ability to work effectively within a resource-constrained, non-profit environment.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (verbal and written); the ability to interact effectively with people of diverse cultural and professional backgrounds.
- Strong organizational & planning skills with keen attention to detail: ability to handle multiple tasks and details efficiently while meeting deadlines.
- An eye for detail. You know when it’s one pixel off.
- Ability to work independently, with minimal supervision, and exercise independent judgement regarding operational decisions, processes, or systems.
- Ability to produce functional mockups to be rapidly iterated on in response to end-user and stakeholder feedback to produce the perfect UX
- Ability to travel occasionally, including travel to and within developing countries.
How to Apply
Applicants are required to use the following link to submit their applications.
To learn more about Orbis, go to http://www.orbis.org
Orbis is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
As a global organization, we welcome qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds and cultures who reflect the five Orbis values of Trust, Caring, Commitment, Accountability, and Excellence.