Energy Programme Ethiopia
As an international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with worldwide operations, the federally owned Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH supports the German Government in achieving its development policy objectives.
In this regard, GIZ promotes complex reforms and change processes. In Ethiopia, GIZ has been working for more than 40 years in bilateral cooperation on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and on the commission of other international donors.
GIZ is implementing various energy projects in Ethiopia with the aim to support a sustainable supply of energy services. This is intended to contribute to Ethiopia’s national strategies (National Electrification Plan, Growth & Transformation Plan, Climate Resilient Green Economy). The energy projects under the GIZ Energy Programme Ethiopia include: Energising Development (EnDev) Ethiopia; Energy Solutions for Displacement Settings (ESDS) Ethiopia; Green Peoples Energy (GBE) Ethiopia and the German-Ethiopia Energy Cooperation (GEEC). GIZ Energy Programme Ethiopia works in close cooperation with the Ministry of Water, Irrigation and Energy (MoWIE) as its main political partner in the implementation of the Programme.
Contract duration: Until December 31, 2022
- Smooth functioning of the financial administration in line with GIZ processes and rules
- Monitors inflow and outflow of money from the programme bank account
- Ensures that the provided services within the section are done correctly according to GIZ Financial and Accounting Rules and Guidelines
- Financial planning, monitoring and the accounting of programme expenditures.
- Coordinates with regional offices of the Programme and the GIZ country office
Financial Management and Budgeting
- Manage the Programme’s financial accounting, monitoring and reporting systems
- Analyze financial performance against key business expectations that will enable management to determine progress against budgets.
- Monitors cash inflow, expenditure and monthly bank reconciliation
- Monitors account payables / receivables and provides monthly and quarterly feedback to the section head
- Follows up monthly utility payments
- Prepares and reports monthly VAT and other tax reports on time
- Organize the monthly closure of programme account and send to the country office
- Assist in the organization and settlement of workshop expenses
- Provides the necessary support to regional admin and finance assistants.
- Reviews the classification of all vouchers/ receipts according to completeness and to cost category
- Provides advice and guidance in financial matters to projects/ departments/ partners
- Ensures that internal control procedures are in place and are followed accordingly.
- Acts as key contact person for annual internal control by the country office internal control unit.
- Liaises with GIZ Country Office Finance Department as necessary.
- Carries out regular analysis of project costs as required by the projects/ components
- Budget-Monitoring: prepares / analyses sheets of expenditure against overall budget
- Facilitates operational fund transfers to projects
- Maintains external relationships with appropriate contacts, e.g. auditors, solicitors, bankers and statutory organizations such as the tax authorities;
- Manages the personnel, finance, and infrastructures of the entrusted area of activity
- Represents the interests and always acts on behalf of the GIZ
- Carries out tasks relevant to the project/programme which may not be explicitly mentioned in the job posting
Other Duties/Additional Tasks
- Reports immediately all problems involving finance and related irregularities
- Maintains filing for Finance Section and keeps information confidential
- Keeps him/herself informed about regular changes in the GIZ internal process and rules.
- Assists in and/or carries out other tasks, as assigned
- Undertakes further job training related to his/her position and duties, if required.
- University Degree in Business Administration, Commerce, Finance or Accounting
- Minimum of 5 years’ relevant experience
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Strict attention to policy and practice detail
- Very strong financial analysis skills
- High integrity
- Good knowledge of financial reporting systems in donor funded projects
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates shall submit their motivation letter along with their non-returnable recent CV via Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please make sure you mention the Vacancy Number ‘Finance Officer #163/2021’ in the subject line of your email application.
Due to large number of applications we categorize applications with the vacancy numbers.
Applications without vacancy numbers in subject lines might not be categorized in the appropriate folder and could be disqualified.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted
We encourage persons with disabilities to apply for the position. In case of equal qualification, persons with disabilities will be given preference.
Applications from qualified women are encouraged.
“Please refer to our brochure to learn more about GIZ’s attractive benefit package.”