Title: Finance Officer
Location: Jijiga 60% and 40% in Dollo Ado
Employment Category: H2
Reporting To: Finance Team Leader
Start of Contract & Duration: Four Months (4)
Posting date: September 18, 2021
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), an international non-governmental organization (NGO), has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. DRC promotes and supports solutions to the problems faced by refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs), and migrants. The organization has offices across the region, and has been operational in Ethiopia since 2009. With funding from bilateral and multilateral donors, DRC is currently implementing a range of activities across Ethiopia and Djibouti, including WASH and shelter provision, child and youth protection, Gender based violence response, awareness-raising of migration risks, protection monitoring of migration routes, and livelihoods support for returning migrants or those at-risk of migration.
OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) has been providing relief and development services in the East Africa and Great Lakes since 1997. DRC has mainly focused on forced displacements. The regional Office is based in Nairobi, Kenya and have other offices and operations in EAGL.
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) has been operational in Somali Region since December 2009 to assist the displacement affected Communities in in the Region. DRC had implemented so far humanitarian, recovery and development programs in Fafan mainly with refugee, IDPs and affected host communities. To improve compliance and adhere DRC operations hand book mainly on Financial managements and also able provide proportional support to increasing programs in Jijiga, DRC is looking for to hire dedicated and experience Finance officer based in Jijiga with frequent field visit to the implementation sites and offices in Fafan zone. The Finance officer under the supervision and in coordination with Finance Team Leader will be doing finance related activities as per the JDs below. This position is responsible for carrying out all bank and cash transactions and booking of expenses for the Jijiga programme, managing expenditure and working with all teams to develop project budgets and monthly or weekly cash forecasts.
- Ensure the monthly closing and cash follow status report is produced on time in electronic and hard copies to Head Office; get familiar with DRC dynamics mainly on finance section.
- Maintain proper filing systems of financial documents, scan and burn on CDs those monthly financial reports to be forwarded to Addis;
- Maintain an electronic monthly cash book and perform daily and weekly cash reconciliation of the programme books;
- Check expenditures against budgets, preparation of monthly expenditure statement and properly filing of financial documents;
- Ensure that accounting records are kept updated, are reliable and are maintained according to DRC accounting practices;
- Code transactions for the project floats and ensure it is in line with project budget lines;
- Manage cash balances to ensure that sufficient balances are maintained for ongoing activities, while preventing too high balances to avoid incurring high exchange rate charges.
- update monthly staff payroll for deduction for advances, and keep track of clearing all outstanding;
- Ensure timely and accurate encoding of all financial movements using DRC’s ERP or dynamics system;
- Produce serially numbered cash receipt and cash payment vouchers, and code expenditures appropriately;
- Support payment to service providers, suppliers and contractors and clearance of advance of procurement officer against a “Goods Received Note” signed by supply chain Officer
- Prepare and distribute monthly expenditures reports on project and programme level in support of managers and programme staff
- Ensure that all documents relating to financial transactions and donor contracts are properly filed in order to facilitate their retrieval and to safeguard DRC financial interest
- Facilitate smooth internal and external audits of donor contracts
Procurement and assets tracking
- Support adherence to DRC procurement regulation
- Assist in tendering process and bidding analysis to facilitate procurement of goods, contracts and services
- Assist management in produce annual procurement plans – revised on a quarterly basis – for new asset and equipment acquisitions
- Support updated records of assets and equipment, disaggregated per individual donor contract
- Assist field management and programme staff in preparing annual programme budgets based on quarterly and annual expenditure reviews
- Support coordination and preparation of bi-Monthly cash requests in coordination with relevant programme staff, forwarding it to Country Finance Officer in a timely manner
- Assist finance team Leader and programme staff in budgeting, monitoring and financial reporting for specific activities or sub projects
- Report immediately on all cases of financial mismanagement, such as theft, corruption or non-adherence to DRC financial management rules; and, if necessary, coordinate with AA in developing new policies to safeguard against future mismanagement
- Support the production of timely and accurate encoding of all financial movements and the preparation of monthly budget monitoring reports
- Coordinate and monitor monthly financial reports at field office and compile with TL for reports;
- Train new finance staff like assistant and cashier in the DRC Finance System and Regulations and advise on their performance to ensure sound accounting and procurement practices and that DRC’s financial regulations are always strictly adhered to
- Undertake regular visits to sites and advise and mentor field staff on project accounts and procedures
- Support annual performance reviews of Finance Staff with Team Leader and assist in identifying their training needs
- Assist Finance team Leader in preparing financial reports for donors or checking reports prepared by the Finance department in Head Office on the agreed reporting date
- Any other job as assigned by the finance team Leader or Area Manager in DRC Jijiga.
Experience and Technical Competencies: (include years of experience)
- Proven ability to priorities tasks and meets deadlines
- Stable and robust character and a good team-player
- Experience in working in NGOs, at Least three years
- Excellent communication skills, calm and a good sense of humor
- Proven commitment to accountable practices.,
- Strong sense of personal integrity
- Competent use of PC especially spreadsheets.
- Full proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Word and Excel.
Education (include certificates, licenses etc.):
- Relevant education (degree or Diploma) and work experience in financial/accounting field.
Languages: (indicate fluency level)
- Excellent English skills both spoken and written. Knowledge of Somali, an advantage.
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
- Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: Acting in line with DRC’s vision and values
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.ngo under Vacancies.
Please forward the application and CV, in English through the stated website no later than September 24, 2021.
For general information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult www.drc.ngo
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, colour, race, marital status or other protected characteristics
We encourage only qualified Ethiopian Nationals to apply. DRC considers all applicants based on merit.
DRC’s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP’s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process.
Danish Refugee Council is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive and positive work environment based on mutual respect for all employees. All applicants are considered for employment without attention to race, age, ability, ethnicity, nationality, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other factor. At DRC we celebrate diversity and appreciate our employees for the people they are and their unique skills, backgrounds, and perspectives. We encourage all interested candidates to apply!