ABOUT MASTERCARD FOUNDATION
Mastercard Foundation seeks a world where everyone has the opportunity to learn and prosper. Through its Young Africa Works strategy and Canadian EleV program, the Foundation works with partners to ensure that millions of young people, especially young women, access quality education, financial services, and dignified work. Mastercard Foundation was established in 2006 through the generosity of Mastercard when it became a public company. The Foundation is independent with its own Board of Directors and CEO.
THE WORK AT THE FOUNDATION
We have entered a very exciting time at the Foundation as we scale up our operations across Africa to realize our Young Africa Works strategy. Our role at the Mastercard Foundation is to be a catalyst. Our Young Africa Works strategy focuses on working with others to spur systemic change so young people have the opportunity to find work that is dignified and fulfilling.
The Foundation has opened offices in Rwanda, Kenya, Ghana, Senegal, Ethiopia, Nigeria, and Uganda, building a broader leadership presence in Africa to develop specific strategies that support youth employment. Within a country, we work with governments, the private sector, educators, young people, and other funders to improve the quality of education and vocational training, prepare young people for the work force, expand access to financial services for entrepreneurs and small businesses, and connect job seekers to dignified and fulfilling work.
We are ambitious and driven. Our values transcend and rise above everything else as our guide. We encourage you to bring your bold ideas, curiosity, and expertise to your work. We laugh at ourselves and with each other. We are a team. Our journey together makes our impact even more meaningful.
UNDERSTANDING CANADA PROGRAMS AT THE FOUNDATION
The Foundation has begun working within Canada in partnership with Indigenous communities and post-secondary institutions to listen, learn, and best understand how we can act in meaningful ways. The EleV strategy was co-created with Indigenous communities, young people, and partners to enable 30,000 Indigenous youth to complete their education and transition to dignified work aligned with their values and aspirations.
As reflected in Canada’s Truth and Reconciliation Commission Calls to Action, education is a key driver of improved socio-economic well-being. Through building partnerships with Indigenous communities, we look to expand our initiative ultimately helping to support a generation of transformative Indigenous young leaders who will be change agents within their communities. We believe that by setting a bold target, we will encourage engagement across sectors and create momentum that will elevate the strengths and opportunities of Indigenous youth. In keeping with our approach, Indigenous communities and young people will be the drivers of this transformation. The program will promote innovations to address longer-term systemic change to achieve economic prosperity and social well-being within Indigenous communities.
The EleV team oversees current and emerging partnerships related to Indigenous education. Consistent with our overall vision and Youth Africa Works strategy, we will share learnings and opportunities to connect across the work of the Foundation. While operating in distinct contexts, the centrality of youth voice and vision, affirmation of culture and identity, and priority to enhance community capacity for self-determination are common threads upon which our work is strengthened and reinforced.
If you are an experienced Finance Director, Pan African Programs looking to increase your impact, read on!
Reporting to Executive Director, Finance & Accounting, the role will be responsible for providing Strategic Financial leadership to the Executive Director – Pan African Programs as well as Leading the Pan African Finance teams responsible for the Pan African programs portfolio with full accountability for the end to end Financial & accounting operations for the Foundation within Africa. The Finance Director, Pan African Programs will ensure that there Finance infrastructure, process & systems are in place to support the implementation of the strategic outcomes of the Pan African program portfolio. Their accountabilities will include providing financial leadership to ensure programs are adequately funded & Foundation financial resources are safeguarded by maintaining a sound control environment, acting as a steward on enterprise risk management & compliance to regulatory requirements within Canada & African Countries. As a member of the Senior Leadership team in the foundation, this role acts as a strategic partner by delivering on a mandate to build, lead and develop “best-in-class” Finance & Accounting team to support the evolving needs of the Foundation’s worldwide operations.
The successful candidate will be based in any of our listed offices in Africa (Rwanda, Ethiopia, Uganda, Kenya, Senegal, Ghana and Nigeria).
WAYS YOU CAN CONTRIBUTE
- Program Strategy – Supports the Pan African Programs teams with Financial long-range plans, financial feasibility of strategies and implementation and technical finance contribution and support to the Executive Director.
- Provide executive leadership and strategic direction in support of achieving the overall strategic outcomes of the Foundation.
- Partner with members of the Senior Leadership Team, supporting the Foundation’s global operations team.
- Provide proactive and effective financial counsel and solutions for strategic decisions to the program’s teams in countries and the larger Finance function.
- Engage with partners, Banks, Governments etc to ensure regulatory compliance.
- Review existing controls, policies, and procedures to ensure effective internal controls are in place & risks effectively managed as pertains to programming.
- Perform Financial analysis and provide recommendations to the Senior Leadership Team to support business decisions.
- Oversee the management of the full finance cycle of programming, i.e. Expression of Interest (EOI), proposal, contract approval, conduct due diligence, budget reviews, program execution and monitoring, and program completion for all programs within the scope of the Pan African programs.
- Responsible for the Financial Planning, monitoring & reporting on program financial performance & providing financial insights to drive long term strategic decision making within the Pan African programs portfolio
- Development of rolling forecasts that drive long term strategic planning within the portfolio and ensure effective allocation of financial resources (Envelop) to deliver the strategic outcomes of the Pan African program portfolio
- Provide hands-on, metrics-driven financial leadership to help with the ambition of driving Impact at Scale within the foundation
- Manage and provide inspiring leadership, develop a team of talented individuals, enabling them to achieve being a high performing team.
WHO YOU ARE
- Degree or master’s degree in BA or related field is required.
- Relevant Professional qualification; CPA, CA or Member of a relevant professional body.
- Bi-lingual (French, English) is an added advantage.
- Minimum of fifteen (15) years overall experience and out of which at least five (5) years should be at Senior Leadership level (Director Level).
- Experience in progressive financial leadership, including 10 years in a management capacity within a large organization with multinational operations, including developing countries. Experience in Financing, Investment or Technology organizations would be an added advantage.
- Experience within a complex, matrix organization with decentralized operations.
- Strong overall knowledge of accounting, treasury, risk management, audit, taxation, financial reporting, and controllership.
- Strong understanding of information systems, ideally with a track record of developing and implementing financial systems within a complex high-growth environment.
- Experience and proven track record of elevating the overall competence of a F&A function through improved processes, finance tools, development, and overall accountability.
- Ability to operate at both the Tactical and highly strategic levels and deliver results – “Start up” mindset.
- Excellent technical and analytical skills and business acumen Excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills with the ability to articulate information to a variety of constituents across cultures
- Willingness to make decisions and consistently exhibits sound and accurate judgment and makes timely decisions.
- Initiative, drive & Critical thinking skills
- Ability to deliver time-pressured project on-time and on-quality and Strong Stakeholder relationship building.
- Flexible, creative thinking & approaches to problem solving.
- Ability to identify key operational performance drivers, forecasting, and flexibility to support business partners with a broad array of issues.
- Ability to influence and achieve successful outcomes
- Ability to challenge and provide feedback in a constructive manner with the goal of improving efficiency and operational excellence.
- Possess professional maturity, sensitivity with different cultures, and impeccable integrity that exemplify the Foundation’s values.
- Demonstrate a commitment to Mastercard Foundation’s values and vision.
Deadline for Applications is December 08, 2022.
The Mastercard Foundation values the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the organization and we are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone.
Completion of satisfactory business references and background checks are essential conditions of employment.
NB: To avoid missing email communication about your application, please check your spam/junk folder and mark our emails as “not junk”.