WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
This job is based in the Ethiopia Country Office in Mekelle and includes support of Shire field office as well. The job holder will operate with minimal supervision work to ensure that Finance and Admin operational and project objectives in the greater Mekele Sub office and Shire field office are achieved. The job holder will be heavily involved in the Tigray Operation with a continuous engagement to keep the record up to date diligently. The incumbent reports directly to the Head of Finance & Administration – Tigray Region with technical / matrix reporting to both the Head of Finance and Administration – CO Ethiopia
To support the delivery on all Finance and Admin needs for Tigray emergency operation e.g. stewardship of WFP’s resources, monitoring, budget, forecasting, reporting, on key data, effective management of funds as well as other key projects with a client-focused value for money Finance and Administrative services in line with WFP corporate priorities.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Assist corporate finance and admin resource management strategies and major ongoing programmatic initiatives, participating where appropriate using finance and resource management expertise.
- Support the development of sub-office-specific plans and processes, aligned with the Country, regional and wider WFP strategy, policies and processes to meet the food assistance needs of beneficiaries.
- Provide input and analyze budgets for the emergency operation according to established corporate procedures and requirements, ensuring availability of funds on sub-office fund reservations as well as participating in any Budget revisions as required.
- Prepare bank reconciliations statement, disbursements, clearance of receivables, cash advances (for the sub imprest account, cash account and petty cash account), and monthly financial closures in accordance with corporate requirements, ensuring timely submission to the Head of Finance & Administration – Tigray region.
- Preparation of accurate and timely reporting, in order to provide management with financial, accounting and budgetary information to enable them to make informed decisions: submit weekly expenditure report for the emergency operation to management.
- Assist and support colleagues, act as a point of referral and support them with their queries related to finance & admin.
- Follow standard emergency preparedness practices to ensure WFP is able to quickly respond and deploy food, cash and needed resources to affected areas.
- Maintain awareness of corporate finance and administration for major ongoing programmatic initiatives, participate using finance and admin expertise.
- Collect data for budgets and carry out forecasting for new and ongoing projects according to established corporate procedures and requirements.
- Deliver and support administrative services, working with contractors and following standard processes to provide cost-effective, quality and timely services to WFP staff.
- Provide input to the delivery of financial controls and insight into WFP performance, supporting periodic risk and internal control assessments to identify areas that may present potential audit, compliance or financial risks.
- Other as required.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Advanced university degree in Finance, Business/Public Administration, Accounting, Engineering or other relevant fields, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience or training/courses.
3 or more years of senior professional experience in Finance and Admin with an interest in international humanitarian development.
Fluency in both oral and written communication in English and local language is desirable.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Broad knowledge of Finance and Administration best practices, techniques and processes with some understanding of the basic theoretical background.
- Ability to analyze data, draw conclusions and recommend a course of action.
- written communication skills required to give and receive information and work with a variety of individuals.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with clients and provide client-oriented service.
- Knowledge of, or the ability to quickly assimilate, UN/WFP specific processes and systems.
CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Understands WFP’s Strategic Objectives and the link to own work objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Flexibly adapts individual contributions to accommodate changes in direction from supervisors and internal/external changes (such as evolving needs of beneficiaries, new requirements of partners).
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Recognizes and shares with team members the ways in which individual contributions relate to WFP’s mission.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Sets own goals in alignment with WFP’s overall operations, and is able to communicate this link to others.
- Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Assesses own strengths and weaknesses to increase self-awareness, and includes these in conversations on own developmental needs.
- Create an inclusive culture: Participates in open dialogue, and values the diverse opinion of others, regardless of background, culture, experience, or country assignment.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Proactively seeks feedback and coaching to build confidence, and develop and improve individual skills.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Participates in accomplishing team activities and goals in the face of challenging circumstances.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Shows willingness to explore and experiment with new ideas and approaches in own work.
- Focus on getting results: Consistently delivers results within individual scope of work on time, on budget and without errors.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Commits to upholding individual accountabilities and responsibilities in the face of ever-changing country or functional priorities.
- Be Decisive: Makes rational decisions about individual activities when faced with uncertain circumstances, including in times of ambiguity regarding information or manager direction.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Seeks to understand and adapt to internal or cross-unit teams’ priorities and preferred working styles.
- Build strong external partnerships: Demonstrates ability to understand and appropriately respond to and/or escalate needs of external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Portrays an informed and professional demeanor toward internal and external partners and stakeholders.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Provides operational support on analyses and assessments that quantifies and demonstrates WFP’s unique value as a partner.
|Capability Name||Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level|
|Internal Controls & Compliance||Utilizes understanding of risk management approaches and internal controls to monitor projects and programmes to confirm regulatory compliance and ensure data integrity.|
|Performance Budgeting, Reporting & Analysis||Analyzes budgets and forecasts to support the development of recommendations for senior leadership on financial and business planning matters in accordance with Value for Money principles.|
|Resources Management (People, time, assets, etc.)||Monitors trends in staffing and resource usage to anticipate and escalate potential issues to programme leaders.|
|Financial Management & Accounting Principles||Applies knowledge of financial and accounting principles and practices to ensure compliance with WFP policies, applicable procedures and accounting standards.|
|Supply Chain and Operations Knowledge||Applies working knowledge of WFP programme and supply chain principles to develop and/or review project budget plans.|
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Has performed basic financial analyses at a national and/or operational level.
• Has experience managing financial transactions.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
13 October 2021
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.