Location: Mekele, Ethiopia
Closing Date: Sep 10, 2022, 05:59 AM
The Department of Safety and Security (UNDSS) is responsible for providing leadership, operational support, and oversight of the United Nations security management system (UNSMS) globally. As a global leader in security risk management principles, UNDSS enables the safe and effective delivery of United Nations programmes and activities in the most complex and challenging environments, while maximizing precious resources. To this end, the work of the Department is aligned under a clear mission, to enable United Nations system programme activities through trusted security leadership and solutions.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The primary purpose of the position is safety and security support for humanitarian operations based in Tigray region.
The Field Security Coordination Officer will work under the direct supervision of Chief Security Adviser.
This position is for 3 duty stations (Mekele, Shire, and Adigrat). The candidates could be placed in either of the three duty stations.
Key duties and accountabilities include:
Prepares, reviews security management documents for the designated area of responsibility.
- All aspects related to elaboration, development, implementation and updating of all mandatory documents.
Provides support and advice to the Area Security Coordinator and agencies of the United Nations Security:
- Provides support and advice to the Area Security Coordinator and agencies of the United Nations Security Management System (UNSMS) operating within the security area about all security-related matters, security policies and procedures.
- Serves as member of Area Security Management Team, contributing to planning, implementation, evaluation of effectiveness of security planning, security operations and implementations of measures aimed at improving staff security and conduct of UN programme activities.
Monitors activities related to the implementation of the approved security measures:
- Provides support to UNSMS organizations in the establishment and maintenance of a functioning Security Communications Systems.
- Ensures implementation of safety and security policies of the UNSMS.
Maintains cooperation and collaborations with authorities and international institutions:
- Provides security briefing, advice, and security training to UNSMS personnel and operational partners of the United Nations (such as entities under Saving Life Together framework).
Assists in the response to crisis events and security incidents:
- Contributing to planning, implementation, evaluation of effectiveness of security planning, security operations and implementations of measures aimed at improving staff security and conduct of UN programme activities.
- Reviews and/or supports security planning and security management documents for the assigned area as required.
- Identifies and promotes best practices.
- Performs any other duties as may be assigned.
Supervisory/Managerial Responsibilities: The Field Security Coordination Officer will supervise two (2) Field Security Assistants.
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 3: Set and align challenging, achievable objectives for multiple projects, have lasting impact
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 3: Proactively mitigate potential risks, develop new ideas to solve complex problems
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 3: Create and act on opportunities to expand horizons, diversify experiences
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 3: Proactively initiate and champion change, manage multiple competing demands
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 3: Think beyond immediate task/barriers and take action to achieve greater results
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 3: Political savvy, navigate complex landscape, champion inter-agency collaboration
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 3: Appreciate benefits of diverse workforce and champion inclusivity
People Management Competencies:
- UNDP People Management Competencies can be found in the dedicated site.
Cross-Functional & Technical Competencies:
Business Direction and Strategy: Effective Decision Making
- Ability to take decisions in a timely and efficient manner in line with one’s authority, area of expertise and resources
Business Management: Communication
- Ability to communicate in a clear, concise and unambiguous manner both through written and verbal communication; to tailor messages and choose communication methods depending on the audience.
- Ability to manage communications internally and externally, through media, social media, and other appropriate channels
Business Management: Digital Awareness and Literacy
- Ability and inclination to rapidly adopt new technologies, either through skillful grasping their usage or through understanding their impact and empowering others to use them as needed.
Security Services: Security advice, planning and coordination
- Ability to provide with authoritative advice and guidance on security management, plan, and coordinate security activities
Security Services: Security policy awareness & implementation
- Knowledge of security policy concepts and ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations
Security Services: Security Information Management:
- Analytical capabilities to process diverse security information and develop recommendations
Security Services: Security crisis management & response
- Knowledge of crisis management and response arrangements as well as the ability to prepare for, respond to, support/manage security crisis events
- Master’s degree or equivalent in security management, business administration, political/social science, psychology, international relations, or a related field is required.
- A first-level university degree in combination with 2 additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the Masters degree.
- A first-level university degree may be substituted with a diploma from a police or military education institution, college or academy which is considered as equivalent to a first-level university degree.
Experience, Knowledge, and Skills:
- Minimum 5 years (Master’s degree) or 7 years (Bachelor’s degree) of progressively responsible experience in security, risk, or disaster management in the public or private service areas, such as national security, military or police, or in a corporate environment is required.
- Management experience in the public or private or corporate sector is required.
- Experience in UN Security Management System or similar International Organizations within security or related area is required.
- International experience is desirable.
- Additional training in Security Certification Program (SCP) is desirable.
Proficiency in oral and written English.
Working knowledge of another official UN language is desirable.
UNDP Disclaimer for FTA/TA International Posts
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.