The International Rescue Committee, one of the world’s largest humanitarian international NGOs, provides relief, rehabilitation and development support to vulnerable people and communities over 30 countries. We began work in Ethiopia in 2000 in response to severe drought in Ethiopia’s Somali region and are currently providing assistance to Ethiopians and refugees in six regions in Ethiopia, implementing emergency and development programs in health, water and sanitation, economic recovery and development (ERD), women’s protection and empowerment, education, child protection, and multi-sectoral emergency response.
JOB OVERVIEW/SUMMARY: Under the direct supervision of the Environmental Health (EH) Officer the Environmental Health Assistant (EH Assistant) will be primarily responsible site level planning and supervision of the IRC water supply and sanitation facilities construction, rehabilitation, and contract administration. The job holder also supports and monitor construction activities that subcontracted to local contractor, manage skilled and unskilled labor, monitor water tracking and construction materials, equipment and other resources under the project and reports periodically.
· Provide technical support at site level in rehabilitation and/or new construction of water supply facilities including motorized borehole, shallow wells, and rainwater roof harvesting systems, and construction of sanitation facilities.
· Ensure that all construction materials, tools/equipment, and machineries are available for each work as per the specification quality and quantity.
· Monitor labor required towards implementation of different activities and ensure the proper implementation of the same as per set norms and standards.
· Inspect and ensure the required quantity and quality of construction materials are delivered to construction sites by the contractors and/or suppliers.
· Evaluates and verifies contractor employee quality, performance through review of undergoing and completed work assignments and work techniques.
· Coordinates activities by scheduling work assignments, setting priorities, and directing the work of contractor employees.
· Inspects all WASH construction works and make on time correction and rectification actions to defected constructions.
· Facilitate and ensure water quality testing conduct to all water supply schemes.
· Follow proper safety procedures and ensure safe working environment and act before any health or safety risk occur.
· Organize data and information, prepare, and maintain records, documents, and control plans for the monitoring of projects implementation and follow project activities as per the monitoring tools.
· Monitor and ensure proper management by water committees in Operation and maintenance of the schemes.
· Closely follow up and monitor water tracking activities operationally and quality of water at source, distribution, and consumption points by conducting chlorine residual test and act if needed as per the WHO guideline.
· Register and collect daily water quality testing (Residual chlorine test reading) for water track and report to supervisor in weekly basis.
· Train and guide water track monitor on water quality testing at source, and dumping and follow up the daily registration of the chlorine residual test reading.
· Ensure proper application of IRC policies, and procedures in IRC field offices including donor regulations and government policies.
· Train water user associations/water committees in health facilities and rural communities on basic care and maintenance of water schemes.
· Prepare weekly and monthly reports and submit to the supervisor on the work progress of water supply activities.
· Ensure that projects are completed on schedule, according to contractual conditions, within budget, and with adherence to high standards of quality construction.
· Takes additional works as assigned by supervisors
Education: BSc Degree/Diploma in Water Supply, Construction, Water Engineering or related field from universities or colleges.
Work Experience: Minimum experience of 0-year experience for BSc holders and 2 years’ experience for Diploma holders. NGO experience is plus.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
· NGO experience is advantageous special on WASH projects.
· Good skill in managing construction site.
· Good skill in mobilizing community to contribute during construction.
· Ability to work as part of a team as well as to work autonomously when required.
· Good communications and interpersonal skills.
· Basic computer skill.
· Good command spoken and written English, Amharic and Afaan Oromo.
· Knowledge of Afaan Oromo is mandatory/required
· Preference will be given to qualified female candidates.
How to Apply
Candidates meeting the above qualifications are encouraged to apply only through the below IRC On-line recruitment website:
Please include 3 references from current and former employers.
Applications will not be returned. IRC discourages phone calls or personal visits.
Only applicants meeting the minimum qualification will be short listed and contacted.
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
Your application letter/cover letter must include the following information.
- Name of the position you have applied for.
- Date of application
- Summary of your qualifications and experience
- Motivation/objective of why you have applied for the job.
- Permanent Address and present address (if different from permanent) and telephone number, if possible, also email address
- Disclose any family relationships with existing IRC employees.
IRC is an equal employment opportunity employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability.
Professional Standards: The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity Anti-Retaliation and Combating Trafficking in Persons
Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols, and other supportive benefits and allowances.
Equal Opportunity Employer: IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.