Purpose of the Job
Oversee the implementation of the function’s strategy and the promotion and protection of refugees, IDP’s and migrants human rights.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead the development of a strategic plan, including defining priorities, goals, objectives and targets of the department, its implementation and monitoring and evaluation.
- Direct information gathering, research, analysis, and fact-finding missions on the human rights violation of refugees, IDP’s and migrants.
- Oversee the review of policy, legislative and programmatic framework in relation to the promotion and protection of refugees, IDP’s and migrants, rights, to ensure compliance with international and regional human rights standards.
- Steer and oversee advocacy and campaign activities for the effective implementation of refugees, IDP’s and migrants, legislative, policy and programmatic initiatives.
- Steer and support in managing close relationships with national and international stakeholders to advance cooperation and collaboration, including other NHRIs and international and regional human rights networks.
- Review the communication and publication of human rights reports regarding refugees, IDP’s and migrants human rights situation.
- Lead and contribute to the identification and assistance of capacity building needs of both governmental and non-governmental national stakeholders on refugees, IDP’s and migrants rights.
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with relevant stakeholders in Ethiopia, including government ministries, private sector companies, business associations, and civil society organizations; development partners with a view to securing respect for refugees, IDP’s and migrants human rights as needed.
- Fundraise for the promotion and protection of refugees, IDP’s and migrants human rights.
- Ensure mainstreaming of refugees, IDP’s and migrants rights as relevant in other EHRC’s activities and programming.
- Cooperate with international and regional human rights system in general and more specifically in relation to refugees, IDP’s and migrants; and lead the follow up at the national level to the recommendations resulting from international and regional human rights system.
- Represent EHRC at meetings of human rights organs and at other human rights events; and carry out other tasks as assigned.
Generic Duties of the Position:
- Prepare the function work plan and monitor their implementation. Review, approve and submit Function reports to relevant organs.
- Identify human resources requirements of the Function and develop plan for meeting the requirements.
- Support the development of subordinates through periodic performance evaluations, coaching, mentoring, ongoing performance dialogue and feedback.
- Oversee the systematic identification of skill and competency requirements for the Function. Manage disciplinary concerns of the function’s staff as per the company’s policy.
- Develop policies and procedures for the Function and lead in their implementation and continuous review.
- Represent the Commission in external relationships related with the Function based on the Commissioner’s approval.
- Take part in the group decision making process by forming part of different groups/committees.
REPORTS TO: Deputy Chief Comissioner
DURATION: Open Contract
SALARY RANGE: Gross monthly salary of ETB 39,441.00 – ETB 48,317.00 plus ETB 10,000.00 Housing allowance and Vehicle Provision, depending on candidates qualification, experience and earning history
Qualifications and Experience:
- MA in Human Rights Law, LL.M in Human Rights, LLM in International Law, LLM in Law (Public Law relevant to Human Rights). Candidates with Bachelor of Laws (LL.B) but with exceptional experience can be considered.
- 8 years of relevant experience for MA
- Experience in research and writing.
- Experience in project management and management of resources.
- Experience in advocacy and representation.
- Experience in media representation and resource mobilization is desirable.
- Computer literate.
- Knowledge of Amharic and English is required.
- Knowledge of other local languages is advantageous
How to Apply
Interested candidates should write a covering letter, explaining why they are interested in this role, why they are the right person for the job with a recent CV which should be sent to the following email address: email@example.com
Please include the name of the position on the subject of the email
Women candidates are encouraged to apply
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview and written exam
Deadline for applications: Tuesday 19th of October, 2021.