Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Closing Date: 8 December 2022
The OEC: The Organisation of Educational Cooperation (OEC) is an international intergovernmental organisation, founded in January 2020 by countries from across the Global South, to “contribute to the equitable, just, and prosperous social transformation of societies by promoting balanced and inclusive education, in order to attain the fundamental rights to liberty, justice, dignity, sustainability, social cohesion, and material and immaterial security for the peoples of the world”.
The main functions of the Department of Technological Innovation and Digitalisation Enhancement (TIDE) are to:
- Develop advanced, open-source, customisable software and digital platforms for Member States that support access to knowledge, the production of learning resources, and more efficient governance;
- Building institutional capacities in technology use and development;
- Reinforce the digital infrastructure of Member States; and
- Support the development of endogenous technologies.
Under the overall authority of the Secretary-General, the guidance of the Under-Secretary-General for TIDE, and the direct supervision of the Chief of Section – Endogenous Technology and Digital Infrastructure, the Digital Infrastructure Programme Specialist is responsible for the design of innovative programme proposals and their implementation to address persisting gaps within the digital infrastructure of Member States, in particular through the identification of affordable, scalable innovations and through the development of guidelines conducive to the exponential development of endogenous technologies. This position provides the unique opportunity of joining the core team of a new international organisation, contributing to its lasting construction and influencing its future trajectory.
- Analyse and map the digital infrastructure and ecosystems in Member States;
- Identify affordable, innovative, and scalable solutions to address digital infrastructure gaps in Member States;
- Develop general guidelines, and the corresponding public policy framework, for the development and/or reinforcement of regional and/or local digital ecosystems conducive to the development of endogenous technologies;
- Support the establishment of national and/or regional technology incubators and accelerators;
- Develop comprehensive, contextual reports designed to expound on means through which Member States can leverage technology to effectively meet their strategic development goals;
- Oversee the preparation of comprehensive studies on the state of digital infrastructure in Member States and other relevant reports;
- Keep abreast of emerging digital platforms and trends, including innovations to sustainably address the techno-digital divide;
- Identify key partners for the reinforcement of startup ecosystems
- Perform other duties as required.
- Strong proven experience of liaising with stakeholders (i.e., technology companies, government officials, non-governmental organisations);
- Excellent interpersonal, diplomatic and cross-cultural communication skills with a proven track record;
- Excellent networking skills;
- Strong proven experience in developing training modules, guidelines, and policy papers;
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Strong methodical and strategic thinking skills and ability to develop long-term strategies;
- Ability to operate sensitively and effectively in a multicultural environment and deal with cross-cultural sensitivity;
- Ability to withstand and work effectively within stressful situations.
- A Bachelor’s Degree (or higher) in Computer Science, Software engineering, Computer Engineering, Technology Development, or other related fields;
- At least 5 years of relevant professional working experience in digital infrastructure, startup incubators/accelerators, or other related fields.
Candidate must at least be fluent in English. Additional knowledge of one or more other official languages (French, Arabic, Spanish) is an asset.
HOW TO APPLY
This position is open to international applicants.
All applications must be sent to HRE@OEC-OCE.ORG and must include:
- Subject line: “TIDE ETDI Chief – Application”
- Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of Motivation
- Any other relevant information