Working in 50 developing countries across Africa, Asia and the Americas, Plan aims to reach as many children as possible, particularly those who are excluded or marginalised; with high quality programs that deliver long lasting benefits by increasing its income, working in partnership with others and operating effectively. In Ethiopia, the Refugee and Migration Program is one of the key intervention areas of the country strategy with the goal of addressing the very high rates of illness and death among children under five years.
The position holders will provide overall direction on quality emergency WASH projects/program development and implementation in line with Plan’s global DRM policy and strategy. He/she ensures that quality emergency WASH program delivery is reflected within the entire project cycle and that all field program implementation is undertaken efficiently and effectively. The position holder supports the emergency project/program response team to ensure proactive engagement in the area of networking and collaboration, learning and knowledge management within the broader organization and with other partner organizations.
Dimensions of Role:
- This position is generally based at the Gambella program area of Plan International Ethiopia.
- The post holder will report to the head of Emergency Response manager and technically fwill report to WaSH Project Manager for SunWaSH project. All the emergency response WASH program budget based on the annual and/or multiyear resilience building plan.
- The post holder will manage all emergency WASH related projects and supervises field based emergency WASH coordinators based at the program area and/or specific project field level. She/he will work to ensure smooth working environment between the country office emergency response team and the field respective staff.
- The post holder is responsible to manage program design, implementation and monitoring and evaluation of all emergency WASH projects programs. The post holder will be part of the national and regional or disaster specific WASH need assessment and proposal design.
- The post holder support the program area emergency response and recovery in formulating specific and overall WASH emergency response interventions at Gambella area level by planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
- She/he ensures smooth teamwork within and across the other response sectors and sustainable development while enhancing integration among others.
- Key components of the position include operationalization of the emergency WASH with it’s elements of advocacy and networking, developing and strengthening partnerships, engage in resource mobilization and emergency WASH team management.
Typical Responsibilities – Key end Results of the Position:
Project design, implementation and reporting
- Ensure quality emergency WASH project/program delivery at all levels of the project cycle management in line with the global DRM policy and response sector and humanitarian standards at Gambella program area level.
- Develop and oversee comprehensive and assessment based emergency WASH projects/programs which could be child, young girls and women centered in collaboration with communities, government partners and Plan International Ethiopia staff at all levels.
- Provide technical support to field staff on emergency WASH projects/programs in the selection of effective strategic options that address the live saving emergency response followed by possible resilience building of disaster affected child, their families and community.
- Ensure that all emergency response WASH projects/programs are technically sound and are aligned to the Plan’s, global priorities, country strategic plan, country programs objectives and principles.
- Develop necessary guidelines and technical design to facilitate the implementation of emergency WASH intervention activities particularly solar water supply system under the established local level procedures, country programs, national and global standards and norms.
- Based on the approved budget and activities of emergency response, prepare annual and quarterly implementation plans and enforce the execution of the aspired plan as per the requirement.
- Approve and/or prepare the construction payment certificates for emergency WASH projects which could be certified and/or approved by other coordinators or specialist recommended by and in line with Plan’s procurement and construction guideline and procedures.
- Ensure optimum community involvement in the conceptualization, development, management, monitoring and evaluation of emergency WASH response projects.
- Beyond the emergency WASH response project management, in consultation with other team members at all levels, address the resilience building, recovery/rehabilitation, preparedness and mitigation components of the DRM needs and requirements for the disaster affected and vulnerable communities.
- Participate in resources mobilization and develop emergency WASH funding project for Gambella program Area through conducting rapid needs assessments and writing concept notes and proposals, submit timely to country office team based on the national and regional appeal and resources gaps.
- Undertaking quality and reliable technical feasibility studies and prepare designs and bills of quantities and tender documents for WASH in emergency project to facilitate timely and quality resource mobilization.
- Supporting the development and implementation of emergency WASH projects at all levels based on Plans’ corporate procedures to enhance resource mobilization efforts to save the lives of disaster affected children and communities.
- Map partner’s in order to identify potential grant for emergency response WASH projects and enhance partnership.
- Ensure that emergency response WASH projects are implemented in compliance with donor requirements and in line with Plan’s grant management systems.
- Ensure efficient utilization of emergency response grant funds for WASH in close collaboration with all relevant staff at the country and field levels.
- As part of donor compliance and tools for maintain good relation with donors to run smooth resource mobilization, prepare and submit periodic quality narrative and financial reports in a timely manner according to the requirements.
Monitoring and evaluation
- Ensure the recommended practices of Core Humanitarian Standard for quality and accountability (CHS) and WASH sphere standards being both of them are quality assurance monitoring and evaluation tools for the humanitarian response.
- Following the emergency response WASH project planning, monitor the implementation processes, coordinate mid-term and final evaluations and document best practices that will be helpful for learning’s and sharing for others.
- Prepare and document quality and timely case studies for the interest of donors and learning purpose in and outside Plan staff.
- In close consultation with program quality and emergency response teams at all levels, establish community feedback mechanism for quality and accountability and monitor its operationalization.
- Establish country specific and updated assessment based national database and provide support for program area staff which are relevant for emergency WASH and other humanitarian responses.
- Identify, document and disseminate best practices from within and outside Plan to staff and other relevant partners.
- Prepare and submit quality periodic narrative and financial reports for all emergency WASH projects in a timely manner according to Plan International, donor and government requirements.
- Ensure all emergency response project documentation is filed and organised to serve as a reference for accountability and bases for learning, sharing and dissemination.
Program integration and mainstreaming
- Internalize the child protection policy of Plan and be vigilant to report all child protection concerns and look for responding action in all walk of the emergency response management period.
- Mainstream gender, disaster risk reduction, inclusion and environmental protection in line with child centered community development approach in the emergency response project management at all levels to enhance appropriate participation of stakeholders and help them to play a leading role.
- Nurture the collaboration and provide support for emergency program in order to develop plans that integrate with other emergency response thematic areas.
- Enhance the team spirit and work in collaboration with other development and emergency response staffs to ensure resilience building through programmatic and conceptual understanding.
Partner development and strengthening
- Provide technical assistance and build the capacities of local partners in project management for specifically for WASH in emergency.
- Provide high level guidance to field staff on smooth partnership management with a particular emphasis for government sector partners for enhanced and quality response project implementation.
- Ensure that appropriate partner assessment with due emphasis on capacity gaps analysis in terms of program management competency and organizational integrity is done on time and communicated to relevant staff those who endorse and approve.
- Ensure adequate stakeholder consultation and participation mainly with beneficiaries at all stages of the project implementation.
- Manage and monitor partnerships with implementing organisations, including their efficient utilization and timely accountability of funds allocated for emergency WASH response.
Networking and representation
- Represent PIE in WASH clusters and forums at regional level for all emergency related WASH intervention and networking particularly with UNOCHA, UNICEF, UNHCR and others as required.
- Establish and lead strong and smooth partnerships and networks with likeminded NGOs, government bodies and forums for cross learning, identification of lessons learned, best practices, resources mobilization and scaling-up to enhance program initiatives.
- Network effectively with others to draw information and knowledge for the response projects and strategy development.
Staff Development and Management
- Actively participate in Area programme team meetings in an open, cooperative and proactive manner and contribute towards ensuring smooth departmental collaboration and coordination as far as WASH emergency response is concerned.
- Ensure equal and fair opportunities and representation of both sexes and persons with disabilities in the WASH and related emergency response projects and programs.
- Organise regular performance review meetings to assess emergency response resource mobilization and project implementation progress and communicate any changes in strategy with the key project stakeholders particularly donors and national forums.
- Build the technical capacity of Plan emergency response staff and community facilitators and also ensure possible active benefices involvement in the pre and post assessment conceptualization, development, management, monitoring and evaluation of WASH emergency response projects and program.
- Appraise field emergency project coordinator’s performance and ensure capacity building support is provided regular competency update.
Dealing with Problems
- The post holder understands organisational strategies and contributes to its fulfilment by supporting the team to play their roles and implement programs in accordance with organizational goals and requirements.
- Demonstrates problem solving ability, strategic thinking and promotes innovative ideas. Working at the country level to give support to PA emergency WASH staffs, the position influences country and PA colleagues to adhere to required implementation standards in an integrated manner to support the timely response and recovery interventions.
Communications and Working Relationships
- To maximize impact through the optimized contributions of others, the post holder will be required to initiate, develop and maintain a range of working relationships, including with government counterparts, implementing partners and other humanitarian cluster organizations.
- Effective working relationships within Plan are also essential. The job holder will have frequent communication with CO and PA Program emergency response and other functioning department teams, Program Area Managers as well as National Offices and/or institutional donors
Knowledge, Skills, Behaviors, and Experience Required to Achieve Role’s Objectives:
Educational Qualification and Experience
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Hydraulic/Civil /Water Resources Engineering, Environmental Health or related field with minimum 5 years of work experience in emergency WASH response.
- Master’s degree on the above-mentioned area is preferable.
- Demonstrated experience in the management of key programmatic areas relevant to WASH emergency response under the country program.
- Additional experience and commitment to, and understanding of, participatory approaches to respond for disaster affected people.
- Previous experience of managing and developing a multi-disciplinary team.
- Extensive knowledge on emergency WASH and the sector environment.
- Understanding of Core Humanitarian Standards which are workable by sector.
- Knowledge of human resource and coordination role from general and organization perspectives.
- Understand organisational principles, systems and have the ability to provide leadership and support to staff working at community level for disaster affected population.
- Knowledge of child-rights programming particularly Child Protection in Emergency, CPiE.
- Knowledge of participatory Monitoring, Evaluation and Research systems and processes
- Conceptual and strategic thinking skills.
- Interpersonal skills, including the ability to build relationships with colleagues
- Have good writing and oral communication skills, including presentation.
- Experiences in resource mobilization through preparation of emergency response WASH proposals.
- Understands budgetary processes including planning, monitoring and reporting.
- Ability to provide team leadership and communicate effectively.
- Ability to conduct assessment, analyze information, evaluate options and to think and plan strategically.
- Proficient in computer skills and use of relevant software and other applications
- Able to perform under stress and remote environment, innovative, build relationships, communicate effectively, coach and mentor, facilitate change, develop teams, initiate action, strategic decision making, planning and organizing and a personal commitment to children’s development and protection.
How to Apply
The closing date for the application in 03 October 2021. Qualified candidates should submit the application using the link provided below:
This position is only open to Ethiopian Nationals, who must be eligible to live and work in Ethiopia.
More information about Plan International can be found on http://plan-international.org
References will be taken and background and anti-terrorism checks will be carried out in conformity with Plans Child Protection Policy. Plan operates an equal opportunities policy and actively encourages diversity, welcoming applications from all persons meeting the skills and experience required.
As an international child centered community development organization, Plan International is fully committed to promoting the realization of children’s rights including their right to protection from violence and abuse. That means we have particular responsibilities to children that we come into contact with.
Plan International believes that in a world where children face so many threats of harm, it is our duty to ensure that we as an organization, do everything we can to keep children safe. We must not contribute in any way to harming or placing children at risk.
Female applicants are highly encouraged to apply.