Deadline: Jul 8, 2022
Life Centre Ethiopian Residents Charity Organization is recruiting for the post of Deputy Director to lead the Orphan & Vulnerable children and Widows & Poor Mothers Empowerment programs towards achieving our vision, i.e., to be a light of hope for the hopeless.
- An essential way of creating value and bringing impact is collaborating across boundaries and bringing different perspectives, skills, and talents together.
- We will deliver our work through adaptive teams and a global operating model with the local context.
At Life Center Ethiopian Residents Charity, we work hard to achieve our goals together as a team with a clear shared purpose. Our values inform how we perform together:
|Inclusive||We respect people, value diversity, and are committed to equality.|
|Impact||We value and recognize the contribution of our staff, as we put OVC and Widows at the center of everything we do.|
|Partners||We work alongside network members and others to increase reach, influence, and impact. We are committed to a culture of collaboration and building positive relationships.|
|Learning||We are passionate about learning, accountable, and work together to find creative solutions.|
Everyone who works at Life Centre shares our values and is committed to behaviors that demonstrate and support them; i.e.
- Determination: Honesty
- Compassion: integrity
- Self-reliance: creativity
- Gender Sensitivity
- Partnership and Networking
- Community-based, beneficiaries-participatory
- Compliance with NGO Code of Conduct
- Environmental Protection
Everyone has a role in creating and sustaining a safe and respectful working environment where no one comes to any harm or is maltreated. At Life Centre, we take our responsibilities very seriously and will take action against wrongdoing. We will do everything we can to ensure that we do not engage people that pose a safeguarding risk and will undertake criminal record checks as required.
Life Centre Ethiopian Residents Charity is committed to creating an inclusive working environment, promoting and providing equal opportunities, and respecting diversity in employment. We welcome applications from all suitably qualified individuals regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage, civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion/belief, or sex.
Key areas for responsibility, impact, and influence,
- You are accountable to the Executive Director.
- You are responsible for regular communication, consultation, and operational evaluation with timely reporting for and the necessary approval from the Executive Director.
- As part of a leadership team, you will share overall responsibility for the strategic leadership of the country program through the forthcoming transition period of growth and expansion with the primary purpose of being a light of hope for the hopeless.
- You will be responsible for delivering quality programs and policy implementation, creatively maintaining and expanding donor, government, and other key stakeholder relations, fundraising, human resource management, partnership, and operations management of the Country Program.
- In collaboration with your colleagues, you will be able to shape and design specific activities that are relevant at any point in time. We want you to work creatively to deliver impact and respond to relevant opportunities in a timely fashion.
- With your colleagues, you will develop your teamwork plans to drive initiatives, develop ideas, and ensure there is space for cross-organizational working. From this, you will devise your work plan that will form the basis of your day-to-day activities and your performance reviews.
Job Context/ Key Tasks
- Under the leadership of the Executive Director, execute the strategic direction of the Country Program through an organizational change process to take place over the coming periods;
- Ensure program quality and learning;
- Develop & strengthen partnerships with other national and international organizations and the diplomatic community;
- Facilitate fundraising efforts and build a sustainable resource base to advance the opportunities of OVC and Widows programs;
- Drive operational excellence, stewardship, and operations management;
- Facilitate staff & management performance through a team development model. Promote Life Centre;
- Actively participate in various global forums to discuss wider global and regional issues for the organization; both external and internal, and represent and manage in-country relations with government ministries, the diplomatic community, donors, media, as well as local and international organizations;
- Accountable for leading in all safeguarding initiatives, working and operational culture where people can speak up securely and confidentially about concerns through various channels.
At Life Centre, we believe in the importance of empowering our Orphan & Vulnerable Children to be change-makers and leaders at all levels. We expect our Widows & Poor Mothers to lead self-sustained lives, share our values, and impact the community. In addition, as a Life Centre employee, you are expected to:
- Work collaboratively, build mutual trust and respect with external organizations and partners to achieve our strategic aims and objectives; be accountable for the work you do together;
- Adapt to new directions or opportunities arising within the organization and in your work area; being flexible in your role, constantly using the feedback to learn more and evolve further;
- Lead behavioral and cultural change through embracing a supportive, collaborative, and highly inclusive environment where everybody feels supported, respected, and engaged;
- Extend Life Centre’s reach and impact by creating and identifying new business development opportunities and building relationships with new partners;
- Lead and promote a culture of including the voices of children & widows across our support, convening, and thought leadership roles in a transformative way, empowering and highly inclusive of those marginalized by gender, economic status, social outcast, and other factors of discrimination.
- Master’s Degree in social sciences, Development Management, Business Management, or related field;
- Substantial experience in all aspects of Project Cycle Management and at least ten years of experience in Program Management or leadership at a senior level in a national or an international NGO;
- Demonstrable experience in strategic planning, program development, and management of complex, multi-stakeholder interventions, including humanitarian response and recovery;
- Commitment to local leadership in the aid and development sector and experience in leading an organizational change process;
- Commitment and ability to foster and support capacity building in the staff and experience in managing teams across different sites;
- Demonstrable experience in establishing networks with governments, private and public sector entities, and civil society;
- Fluent in written and spoken English and the ability to write clear reports for a wide range of audiences;
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to influence, communicate and negotiate with a wide range of people and organizations at all levels with tact, diplomacy, and sensitivity to cultural differences;
- Ability to prepare, manage, and monitor budgets and accounts;
- Ability to undertake necessary travel in the country;
- An appreciation of project appraisal, assessment, monitoring, and evaluation methodologies;
- Demonstrable experience in resource mobilization from a range of domestic and international donors representatives in the country;
How to Apply
To apply for a job at Life Centre, please submit the following documents:
- A cover letter setting out how you meet the requirements in the ‘Let’s talk about you’ section of the job profile. Please use bold headings for each requirement and provide examples;
- Your current curriculum vitae (3 pages maximum);
- Three referees, including your most recent employer.
- Please help us monitor the effectiveness of advertising sources by clearly stating where you first learned about this vacancy.
To be considered, please email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org before the closing date.
Due to the high volumes of applications, kindly note that we shall only be able to contact candidates shortlisted for an interview.